The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Feb. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

I would say Buffalo's 2nd rebuild or Ottawa's 3 year rebuild or even Montreal's first year or NJD 4 year rebuild or Colorado's 6 year rebuild are all doing better than the Canucks 9 year whatever or even since 2017 onward re-whatever.

This year could be the first year of a true "build" after major surgery.

No matter how good these past player have been they have proven they can't win with this team as it stands, they haven't been good enough and there are not enough of them. If it takes as long to have more like them then they will be aged out by the time the next group reaches their level.

The only team that is clearly doing better is NJD.

Buffalo is doing well now. I've watched them a bit this season and they have better talent overall now. But it could also be one and done. Remember the bubble run? Yeah, we were on an upward trajectory at one point but that was one and done. That team was dismantled due to COVID and cap crunch.

I see 2013-2019 as our rebuilding years. There are two phases, 2013-2015 and 2016-2018.

2013-15, we weren't a terrible team because the NHL roster was still decent, and as such they made the playoffs in 2013 and 2015. The second phase is when the team was just flat out bad because the players aged out. We came away with 2 core players to go along with Horvat, Boeser, Demko in the first phase. If not for COVID, we might have been able to keep our good support players and be more competitive now.

Various circumstances have led us to needing to replace at least 2 of the core players as we traded Bo Horvat and Boeser has plateaued. 

The age gap between the current core of EP and QH and the next core to be drafted in 2023-2025 aren't too big that there will be a window that opens up from 2026 and onwards. As to how long that window stays open depends on a lot of factors but mostly on how long EP and QH can maintain their level of play. If they can maintain high level of play like Bergeron, Datsyuk, Keith, and etc, the window for contention will remain open for a long time.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, lmm said:

you wanna know what sticks in my craw?

fans defending the Ericksson signing with statements like, " It isn't a great deal now, but I understand why Jim did it"

or defending the Miller trade or the OEL trade or Boeser signing

there are so many gullible fans who support bad GMing and poor ownership, they deserve the bad team that we have

if the team decides to give 50% great, at least we know that the whole team needs to be replaced, that is what Tocchet is looking for 

if the whole team gives 50% except 2 player, those 2 are the guys you keep

If Petey and HUghes decide to leave, that is too bad,

either it is because the management is too incompetent to build a team around them, or they don't have the heart to stick it out

If it is because the team is too incompetent to build around those guys, you won't be able to say that Petey didn't warn you/them.

the Rangers played tonight with 5 players drafted since 2017 (Petey's year)

for the Canucks to play 5 drafted players either Demko (2014) needs to come back or Hoglander does. 

and here is a tidbit about Demko, if the Canucks lose to Sorokin and the Isle tomorrow, they will have lost to 3 goalies drafted in 2014 after Demko on this road trip

actually we could end up playing against Ville Husso in Detroit, from the same draft

Demko is good, but there were other good goalies in that draft

I jinxed us

sorry

On 2/9/2023 at 3:38 AM, Bad_BOI_pete said:

IT SEEMS LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED A CANUCK GAME THIS SEASON WITH COMMENTS LIKE THESE... OTHER THAN THE POWERPLAY KUZMENKO HAD ZERO SHIFTS WITH HORVAT THIS SEASON..... AND FOR PP RESULTS HIS WORST LINEMATE WAS BO HORVAT... EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE SAYING

HOWEVER IT DOES NOT SURPRISE ME THAT YOU MADE THIS STATEMENT AS YOU ARE A SELF ADMITTED SADIST

WELL YOU ARE AS BAD CANUCKS SCOUTS OF THE PAST THERE DUDE...KUZEMNKO IS A GREAT GUY GREAT PLAYER...LETS SEE F HE WILL BE AS GOOD THIS LAST HALF..I THINK HE IS NOT AS GOOD UNLESS THERE IS A SKILLED TYPE BO PLAYER WITH HIM...HE NEEDS TO BE IN THE CORRECT LINE....THIS TEAM DOES NOT SUPPORT HIS PLAY NOW....YOU WILL SEE YOU CULL