The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Vladimir Tarasenko, Niko Mikkola to Rangers for Sammy Blais, Hunter Skinner, conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2024 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

I hope when we get to be a playoff team again.  We don't do a lot of stupid things at the deadline. 

Agreed, these flashy star rentals rarely work. Hossa was an example of a good one but he was still in his prime when Chicago acquired him, there have been so many bad ones. Almost as if 75% of them don't work out well. Bertuzzi was a good one this year but not good enough.

I wonder, if you mess with such a good team at the deadline, if it changes the chemistry for the worse. Boston had nowhere to go but down. NYR needed scoring help and they target the wrong players in Tarasenko and Kane who are well past their use-by-date. 

On 5/2/2023 at 12:45 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, these flashy star rentals rarely work. Hossa was an example of a good one but he was still in his prime when Chicago acquired him, there have been so many bad ones.

Hossa wasn't a rental, he signed a 12 year deal with Chicago as a UFA at age 31.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:45 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, these flashy star rentals rarely work. Hossa was an example of a good one but he was still in his prime when Chicago acquired him, there have been so many bad ones. Almost as if 75% of them don't work out well. Bertuzzi was a good one this year but not good enough.

I wonder, if you mess with such a good team at the deadline, if it changes the chemistry for the worse. Boston had nowhere to go but down. NYR needed scoring help and they target the wrong players in Tarasenko and Kane who are well past their use-by-date. 

It seems like the smaller deals have a better impact. Like when we got Higgins and Lappierre they were great and only cost 3rd round picks. 

46 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

It seems like the smaller deals have a better impact. Like when we got Higgins and Lappierre they were great and only cost 3rd round picks. 

Agreed. They also don't affect chemistry on the big lines as much. Slot them in wherever opposed to shuffling your lines to create room for Kane and Tarasenko

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Agreed, Bertuzzi and Orlov are pretty key pieces, I wonder if it messed with the team hierarchy or chemistry. Same could be said for NYR - Kane and Tarasenko come into their top 6 and mess it all up.

I'm a big fan on not changing a team that is playing well, if we were somehow at a 0.650 winning %, scoring goals and defending well, I wouldn't touch our top 6 or top 4 defence. Depth 3rd or 4th liners or bottom pairing defence is a neat addition which doesn't mess up the team chemistry too much.

• Like 1