The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) If Puljujarvi was on waivers, do we claim ?

I hope he does well for another team. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have the best opportunity for him considering the plethora of wingers we have right now. I’d also much rather prioritize our own players from the farm team before giving a reclamation project a spot.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Jake Virtanen is reportedly headed for a “most likely irreparable” split with Swiss League club EHC Visp after getting into an altercation with teammate Daniel Eigenmann during a game late last month.

got into a “verbal and muscular altercation(lol wtf does that mean??)” with Eigenmann on the bench in the dying minutes of Visp’s 5–1 loss 

Eigenmann reportedly presented Visp management with an ultimatum on behalf of his teammates — “it’s him or us”

https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-ex-canuck-jake-virtanen-on-the-outs-with-swiss-club-after-dust-up-with-teammate

Muscular altercation: 

Sport Go Green GIF by Michigan State Athletics

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Nope.  I think he could possibly turn into a fine middle six winger, we can leverage that cap space for future assets back instead or to grease the wheels on another trade by being able to take back more money than we send out.

Probably no one qualifies him as a RFA as that is more than what he is worth, again you can use that cap space in the summer to help out a team in cap trouble and help us.  We could try to get him in the offseason if we felt we needed to as a UFA at less than half that salary by promising him opportunity on a crappy roster.

Nothing compelling about this player to make me think he is worth more than the empty cap space.

We are one of the few teams that has the real dollars to take on a bad contract and the cap space (well LTIR space) to do it between now and the deadline.  There are going to be a lot of contenders looking to shed dollars so they can boost their roster and willing to pay in futures to do it.  A team like Arizona only wants to take on cap if there aren't real dollars attached, so they aren't in the same game we want to be at the deadline.  

I like where you are going with this @Provost 

much rather get younger cheaper prospects 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Has he been accused of sexual assault ?

Has he gotten into a physical altercation with a team mate on the bench ?  

This article details a lot about Jesse's game that most hockey fans are unaware of.

https://www.overtimeheroics.net/2022/03/31/why-jesse-puljujarvi-doesnt-need-to-score/ 

There is a lot of talk on this board about wanting our forwards to fore check more ?

And apparently he is well like by his team mates.

Does this sound like a " Euro" Virtanen to you ? 

As other have noted power forwards can sometimes take more time to develop.

i was referring to his on ice skills... fast, bricks for hands, and low hockey iq... you don't have to assume i'm judging his character, of course i would say that he has a big heart and means well...

Mcdavid hates playing with him BTW even though they have played together for 157 minutes jesse only has 3 points with him even though and Jesse plays with mcdavid more than any other player... next most minutes Nugent-Hopkins at 137 minutes... then Mcleod,...

so what do all these player have in common... all these players are jesses most played linemates but none of these players play their most minutes with Jesse... mcdavid is obvious...he is 5th most regular linemate... yamimoto has half the amount of minutes with mcdavid but when them 2 play together they double their production compared to jesse.... nugent hopkins... Jesse is his second most ev linemate... but scores more with all his other linemates ... Mcleod is the same story... jesse plays with him EV 2nd to foegle but P/60 Jesse is his worst line mate... in fact when jesse is on the ice the team just gets scored on...

and he is going to be waived or traded soon, because he is not worth his 3 million dollar salary...

that article was made last year when he was having a career year... this year... 10 points in 50 games... of all the regular forwards he has the worst performance on his team in expected Goals... and his takeaways stats are sub par for someone playing bottom 6 minutes, especially if he isnt scoring... zero PK time and zero PP points in 27 minutes.. but he is fast and physical, and that's about it.

30 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

i was referring to his on ice skills... fast, bricks for hands, and low hockey iq... you don't have to assume i'm judging his character, of course i would say that he has a big heart and means well...

Mcdavid hates playing with him BTW even though they have played together for 157 minutes jesse only has 3 points with him even though and Jesse plays with mcdavid more than any other player... next most minutes Nugent-Hopkins at 137 minutes... then Mcleod,...

so what do all these player have in common... all these players are jesses most played linemates but none of these players play their most minutes with Jesse... mcdavid is obvious...he is 5th most regular linemate... yamimoto has half the amount of minutes with mcdavid but when them 2 play together they double their production compared to jesse.... nugent hopkins... Jesse is his second most ev linemate... but scores more with all his other linemates ... Mcleod is the same story... jesse plays with him EV 2nd to foegle but P/60 Jesse is his worst line mate... in fact when jesse is on the ice the team just gets scored on...

and he is going to be waived or traded soon, because he is not worth his 3 million dollar salary...

that article was made last year when he was having a career year... this year... 10 points in 50 games... of all the regular forwards he has the worst performance on his team in expected Goals... and his takeaways stats are sub par for someone playing bottom 6 minutes, especially if he isnt scoring... zero PK time and zero PP points in 27 minutes.. but he is fast and physical, and that's about it.

Yep you're the expert. 

Comparing him to a player that has had sexual assault charges laid against him and punches on with his teammates. 

Contradicting what the article stated based on your knowledge gleaned from where ?  

Low hockey IQ ?

Who says, you ? 

That's not what his success at junior level indicates. 

He had a falling out with the Oilers earlier in his career. 

A change of scenery would do wonders for his game.

Keep on insulting him and keep on hating.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Yep you're the expert. 

Comparing him to a player that has had sexual assault charges laid against him and punches on with his teammates. 

Contradicting what the article stated based on your knowledge gleaned from where ?  

Low hockey IQ ?

Who says, you ? 

That's not what his success at junior level indicates. 

He had a falling out with the Oilers earlier in his career. 

A change of scenery would do wonders for his game.

Keep on insulting him and keep on hating.

wow sensitive are we... i never said he was a predator or anything like that... get your screws straight... I told you what i meant... Now back off... youre losing your mind over nothing...

I do not go out of my way to bash players that dont deserve it... Puljarvi is bad.... Edmonton is a small city... i live there... Edmonton is also my second team... I can tell you that no one in Edmonton is gushing over Jesse, absolutely no one....

and junior is a whole lot different then the NHL, i have no idea why you would even mention it... like it even matters now 7 years later...

you can keep defending the honour of pool party if that makes you happy, but i never called him a bad person... just a bad player....

the fact that hes being waived in a couple days, proves that...

if you spent as much time as i did following Puljarvi you would know that he is a failed project... and his career is in jeopardy...

he will likely pass through waivers and will be traded... with a sweetner attached... like jason dickinson...

did you know he has been a healthy scratch a few times this year? did you know that the oilers have been shopping him for a couple years?

Have you ever frquented hf boards and read the Puljujarvi Proposals.... its filled with oilers fans just hoping someone takes him for nothing at all... or somehow they can keep him and sign him for like 1 million dollars... and play him on the fourth line... fans state he has bad awareness (low IQ) and is terrible with the puck on his stick... shooting, stick handling...

read it yourself... no one thinks hes worth his contract... https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/jesse-puljujarvi-2022-2023-season-mod-note-in-op.2902174/page-58 funnily enough... they had to put a mod warning to not hate on him... reminds me of a certain player that played for the canucks that will not be named

Edited by Bad_BOI_pete

1 hour ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

wow sensitive are we... i never said he was a predator or anything like that... get your screws straight... I told you what i meant... Now back off... youre losing your mind over nothing...

I do not go out of my way to bash players that dont deserve it... Puljarvi is bad.... Edmonton is a small city... i live there... Edmonton is also my second team... I can tell you that no one in Edmonton is gushing over Jesse, absolutely no one....

and junior is a whole lot different then the NHL, i have no idea why you would even mention it... like it even matters now 7 years later...

you can keep defending the honour of pool party if that makes you happy, but i never called him a bad person... just a bad player....

the fact that hes being waived in a couple days, proves that...

if you spent as much time as i did following Puljarvi you would know that he is a failed project... and his career is in jeopardy...

he will likely pass through waivers and will be traded... with a sweetner attached... like jason dickinson...

did you know he has been a healthy scratch a few times this year? did you know that the oilers have been shopping him for a couple years?

Have you ever frquented hf boards and read the Puljujarvi Proposals.... its filled with oilers fans just hoping someone takes him for nothing at all... or somehow they can keep him and sign him for like 1 million dollars... and play him on the fourth line... fans state he has bad awareness (low IQ) and is terrible with the puck on his stick... shooting, stick handling...

read it yourself... no one thinks hes worth his contract... https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/jesse-puljujarvi-2022-2023-season-mod-note-in-op.2902174/page-58 funnily enough... they had to put a mod warning to not hate on him... reminds me of a certain player that played for the canucks that will not be named

That's your source of " expert" information, fan boards ? 

Those fans know better than pro scouts eh. 

I will have to remember to use hf boards as my scouting/player reference instead of the pro scouting organisations.

I do follow Jesse, I have him on one of my fantasy teams on this board. 

Like all the players in both my teams I follow them all closely.

I remember drafting Rasmus Andersson in his draft year.

By your standards you would have given up on him as a bust.

He didn't break out until he was Jesse's age. 

Lots of examples of players take longer to develop.

Calling a player who has some issues with the organisation that drafted him and has scored 108 points in 300 games,when the average NHL player plays 200 game, a bust. 

Yep you're a hockey expert. 

As has been stated power forwards can take longer to develop.

I don't believe Jesse has ever been that happy in Edmonton and I honestly believe he would do a lot better with a fresh start with another team, just like many players do. 

By the way how many trophies do you have in your cupboard .?

I would take a flyer on him in a heartbeat.  I don't see why we wouldn't especially with the tank for this year.  Low pressure situation to see if he can thrive in a different environment.  He has the skills, speed and size, just a matter if he can make it work in a different situation.  I don't get the sense that McDavid or Draisaitl are leaders that bring others up around them, but are rather just elite talents.

Feels like a moot point as I don't see why Columbus wouldn't take a flyer and pair him with Laine.

Seems like a nice guy, but man he struggles with thinking the game at the NHL level. I mean, really struggles. I don't really see the point of claiming him other than messing with the Oilers. Nice kid, not a very good NHLer

Edited by rekker

Definitely claim him.

Canucks are potentially making more moves so there is ample opportunity to give him a try until the end of the season. He fits in cap-wise and if he doesn't work out then he is a RFA at the end of the season so simply don't qualify him and let him walk.

The upside here is a real big bodied player that can protect the puck really well along the boards. he could add an element this team is severely lacking. Downside is he seems to be a bit of a dummy, sorry there is no better way to say it but if coach T can get him to play a simple up and down game and be a guy who can retrieve pucks from the corners and win puck battles against large defenders then it could work out.

Seems pretty low risk but potential high reward to me.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would rather use our roster positions for our prospects and see what they can do.

Who specifically?  I would rather have Hoglander, Raty, Karlsson all stay in the AHL to continue to develop there with top minutes to finish off the year.  I also think another couple moves with Boeser and Garland for example will create a few more roster gaps at wing.  I would rather give Puljujarvi a chance with a different group.  If he doesn't work you don't qualify him and move on.  I think Edm has been a bad place for his development.

I was originally thinking Pearson for Puljujarvi would be a good swap based on timelines, but that ship has sailed for this year.