The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) If Puljujarvi was on waivers, do we claim ?

So, are we keeping Boeser then? :ph34r:  

One thing about Puljujarvi I never liked when the Canucks played the Oilers, he is a big bodied player (6'4" 200) who can play physical, seems frustrating to play against at times. Plop him in front of the net and let him battle. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

wow sensitive are we... i never said he was a predator or anything like that... get your screws straight... I told you what i meant... Now back off... youre losing your mind over nothing...

I do not go out of my way to bash players that dont deserve it... Puljarvi is bad.... Edmonton is a small city... i live there... Edmonton is also my second team... I can tell you that no one in Edmonton is gushing over Jesse, absolutely no one....

and junior is a whole lot different then the NHL, i have no idea why you would even mention it... like it even matters now 7 years later...

you can keep defending the honour of pool party if that makes you happy, but i never called him a bad person... just a bad player....

the fact that hes being waived in a couple days, proves that...

if you spent as much time as i did following Puljarvi you would know that he is a failed project... and his career is in jeopardy...

he will likely pass through waivers and will be traded... with a sweetner attached... like jason dickinson...

did you know he has been a healthy scratch a few times this year? did you know that the oilers have been shopping him for a couple years?

Have you ever frquented hf boards and read the Puljujarvi Proposals.... its filled with oilers fans just hoping someone takes him for nothing at all... or somehow they can keep him and sign him for like 1 million dollars... and play him on the fourth line... fans state he has bad awareness (low IQ) and is terrible with the puck on his stick... shooting, stick handling...

read it yourself... no one thinks hes worth his contract... https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/jesse-puljujarvi-2022-2023-season-mod-note-in-op.2902174/page-58 funnily enough... they had to put a mod warning to not hate on him... reminds me of a certain player that played for the canucks that will not be named

Did you just source HFboards?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

We are trying to get rid of underperforming players, not adding more! 

If we are talking about Garland and Boeser specifically, they are both playing close to the value of their contract.  I think what we are trying to do is move them because they don't play with the pace we are striving for.  The difficulty in moving them is that other teams may see the same and they have longer terms.  Puljujarvi plays with a great amount of pace and is in the last year of his contract so if it doesn't work out we just release him.  With a qualifying offer of 3+ M, we may just be able to have him sign a 1.5M x 2 type show me deal as he knows nobody would touch that qualifying offer. 

Absolutely zero risk in claiming him unless we feel we are blocking the progress of Dries or Di Guiseppe who are not part of the future plans.

I'd pass.

It would be wise to keep the cap space we have in hopes for a capdump + asset at the deadline. For example if a contender wants P. Kane we could be a third team in on the trade taking an expiring cap dump + a 1st or 2nd round pick in order to make the money work.

Cap space is limited and oh so valuable. Rather not fill it with an underperforming and unlikely to reach his potential Jesse Puljujarvi. 

Also, there could be potential to swap Boeser or Garland for another player. I know it's been reported against but using as an example... Greenway for Boeser retained slightly. A move similar to this would be great.

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we are talking about Garland and Boeser specifically, they are both playing close to the value of their contract.  I think what we are trying to do is move them because they don't play with the pace we are striving for.  The difficulty in moving them is that other teams may see the same and they have longer terms.  Puljujarvi plays with a great amount of pace and is in the last year of his contract so if it doesn't work out we just release him.  With a qualifying offer of 3+ M, we may just be able to have him sign a 1.5M x 2 type show me deal as he knows nobody would touch that qualifying offer. 

Absolutely zero risk in claiming him unless we feel we are blocking the progress of Dries or Di Guiseppe who are not part of the future plans.

I'm starting to feel like Boeser and Garland might have more in the tank with Tocchet. Personally I'd like to ride the season out with them and see how they perform for the remaining ~30 games. If they can be rejuvenated into their old selves we're laughing. Their stock gets higher (might not have to retain anymore), and it's always easier to move players in the offseason.

Focus on possibly dumping Myers and a Schenn trade for assets.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Reclamation project…

I’d wait and try to get EDM to throw in a pick. Just like Canucks did in the Dickinson trade.

Would certainly be nice, but that would only be if nobody was going to claim him.  I am guessing that someone would.  This could very easily be another Tolvanen situation (Except with a player with size and speed) where the situation wasn't right and then they thrive.  I think that is worth the risk, unless there are bigger plans with the cap space we now have this year.

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

I'm starting to feel like Boeser and Garland might have more in the tank with Tocchet. Personally I'd like to ride the season out with them and see how they perform for the remaining ~30 games. If they can be rejuvenated into their old selves we're laughing. Their stock gets higher (might not have to retain anymore), and it's always easier to move players in the offseason.

Focus on possibly dumping Myers and a Schenn trade for assets.

Completely agree on Boeser and Garland.  They have been put in better positions to succeed and are doing better.  Either they continue and stay or they build more value for a future trade. 

Either way, I don't think them moving or not has a direct impact on claiming Puljujarvi and seeing if another system changes his ability.  I mean, he had 36 points in 65 points as a +22 (Sometimes an irrelevant stat), last season so he has proven he can produce.  I think it's something within the Edm system that is not jiving.

48 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

That's your source of " expert" information, fan boards ? 

Those fans know better than pro scouts eh. 

I will have to remember to use hf boards as my scouting/player reference instead of the pro scouting organisations.

I do follow Jesse, I have him on one of my fantasy teams on this board. 

Like all the players in both my teams I follow them all closely.

I remember drafting Rasmus Andersson in his draft year.

By your standards you would have given up on him as a bust.

He didn't break out until he was Jesse's age. 

Lots of examples of players take longer to develop.

Calling a player who has some issues with the organisation that drafted him and has scored 108 points in 300 games,when the average NHL player plays 200 game, a bust. 

Yep you're a hockey expert. 

As has been stated power forwards can take longer to develop.

I don't believe Jesse has ever been that happy in Edmonton and I honestly believe he would do a lot better with a fresh start with another team, just like many players do. 

By the way how many trophies do you have in your cupboard .?

ok... you do you...

keep making up random scenario's to prove something... which i have no clue is... that you're better than me?

1... i mentioned the fan boards to prove that no one in edmonton really cares about this guy... most would rather wash their hands... You would not listen to my analysis of his play this season .... so i thought why not let some others do the talking...

2. rasmus anderson... would i have considered him a bust? in what year? in what season? I dont know why you would choose him... his basic stats in just a mere one minute glance show natural progression... if i spent an hour analyzing each season in when i do an in depth analysis where i measure QOC, minutes played, penalties drawn/taken, linemates, specialty teams usage, blocked shots, give aways, take aways, hits... once i digest that i would get an understanding of how he played against competition... then I would take that analysis and see how his play was measured vs XGAR and GAR. its not perfect, but it works. If you really want to test my skills, I will analyze him for you and give you my thoughts on his progression...

but my initial thoughts is that a second round draft pick that on his d1 year plays a solid looking campaign for a rookie in the ahl his d2 he played 10 nhl and improved on his ahl rookie season.. 70+ games in his rookie season in his d3 year is simply outstanding.

d4 he is playing top 4 minutes... thats incredible... i mean are you so desperate to prove me wrong that you chose some prospect that if i say they struggled you were going to give me the AHA moment? Rasmus didnt struggle, he excelled

sean Laycock the guy that wrote that article is not a well known respected jounalist... let alone a scout as you claim... he has 10 followers on twitter.. I have more followers from my family and friends... he is a fan that wants to be.. he is trying and maybe he will get there...

I dont claim to be a hockey expert... but i do know that the hockey "experts" are expecting Jesse to be waived and then likely traded after he clears waivers... BTW I predicted this exact moment at the beginning of the season... I predicted that Jesse was the odd man out, and i predicted that they were going to have to pay the piper to get out of the situation.

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Would certainly be nice, but that would only be if nobody was going to claim him.  I am guessing that someone would.  This could very easily be another Tolvanen situation (Except with a player with size and speed) where the situation wasn't right and then they thrive.  I think that is worth the risk, unless there are bigger plans with the cap space we now have this year.

Meh.

He’s never had a season over 36pts.  He’s 24, big and fast.  That’s all.

Like some other posters said, he’s like Virtanen.  All the tools but no toolbox.

Might be a late bloomer ala Bertuzzi…but I doubt it.

A couple of questions:

1 - Since I don't bother paying attention to contract rules, someone who does can answer this....if we take him on for the balance of this season, we can just not qualify him next year and he becomes a FA, correct?

2 - Does adding him for the balance of the season push us lower in the standings?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then I say, "git 'er done!"

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Meh.

He’s never had a season over 36pts.  He’s 24, big and fast.  That’s all.

Like some other posters said, he’s like Virtanen.  All the tools but no toolbox.

Might be a late bloomer ala Bertuzzi…but I doubt it.

I agree that his hockey IQ does seem to be at a Virtanen level, but doesn't have the other aspects of Virtanen off the ice.  He has shown ability, so it could still be the system and environment too.  Not a lot of forwards seem to stick in Edm outside of the core group (Yamamoto another example) which could be a sign of poor development.  With zero risk and a decent potential, I still try him out for the remainder of the year.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A couple of questions:

1 - Since I don't bother paying attention to contract rules, someone who does can answer this....if we take him on for the balance of this season, we can just not qualify him next year and he becomes a FA, correct?

2 - Does adding him for the balance of the season push us lower in the standings?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then I say, "git 'er done!"

1. YES

2. Uncertain (who can predict the future?)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Then they can have them. 

Only way I'd take on JP is with a first coming along with him, for good old "future considerations".

We can better utilize that cap space elsewhere otherwise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did you just source HFboards?

for the general feel of fans opinions.... yes... i mean... a fan board is a good source to get the feel of how fans feel about a player no??? or should i stroll the streets? maybe go sit outside the arena and stop every fan before they enter the game??? are you not on this forum? using feed back from fans? or are you belittling the people that use the forum? what is it?

10 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

anyone??? if you have enough information you can predict the future... many peoples jobs is to predict the future

So what is the answer to Question #2?

Will getting JP push the Canucks lower in the standings?