The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) If Puljujarvi was on waivers, do we claim ?

Keep the Cap space for an incoming dump after unloading Brock and or Garland (as long as it doesn’t go passed this year!).

We have too many wingers! Let’s not add!!!!

Also if there are any openings on the team in this season’s future, we need to play the prospects to see what they got. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

I wouldn't be totally opposed to picking Puljujarvi up on waivers but:

1. the Canucks already have a glut of wingers and probably need to move at least one;
  2. if the Oilers are willing to place him on waivers, then it would seem that they can't make a deal for him. It would also indicate that the Oilers may not be willing to pay a team to free up his cap space (e.g. a draft pick) and would rather lose him for nothing on waivers; and
  3. accordingly to Cap Friendly, the Canucks have 47 out of the max 50 contracts on the books. It might be useful to preserve contract spots for upcoming deals, especially if they involve prospects under contract that cannot slide.

Would probably be better to use the cap space to take on an expiring bad cap hit for an asset. Even though Puljujarvi is a RFA, he's QO is going to be exorbitantly high so there's a good chance the Canucks would not qualify him anyway unless he elevates his play significantly for the remainder of the season.

Tolvanen was a totally different story. His cap hit of $1.45M would have been much more palatable to absorb.

54 minutes ago, BPA said:

Meh.

He’s never had a season over 36pts.  He’s 24, big and fast.  That’s all.

Like some other posters said, he’s like Virtanen.  All the tools but no toolbox.

Might be a late bloomer ala Bertuzzi…but I doubt it.

Or Zack Kassian. Or Steve Bernier. 

But if there's anyone who's messed up development , it's probably the Oilers. So I'd take him on waivers. We can always waive him again if we are done analysing him 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It's a throw away year. Play him for 10 games and waive him again if we didn't like what we see 

Meh, not interested

If we're going to give guys a sample size to see what they've got we've got prospects in Abbotsford we can look at

Klimovich, Raty, Karlsson, Bains, we could even bring back Hoglander and lit him hit his waiver eligible mark as he's going to hit it sometime next season anyway 

I'd sooner give our own guys a chance to show what they've currently got than pick up another project 

10 points in 49 games, 25 in May

Seems unlikely he's going to suddenly just live up to his draft potential, he's getting to the point where it's more likely he simply is what he is 

It's not as if Edmonton hasn't had talent to let him ride shotgun with 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Then they can have them. 

Only way I'd take on JP is with a first coming along with him, for good old "future considerations".

We can better utilize that cap space elsewhere otherwise.

If we have a plan for the cap space this year, then sure that could take priority.  If not, then I take a zero risk flyer on him to see if a different situation brings back the ability.  

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

10 points in 49 games, 25 in May

Seems unlikely he's going to suddenly just live up to his draft potential, he's getting to the point where it's more likely he simply is what he is 

It's not as if Edmonton hasn't had talent to let him ride shotgun with 

and he is playing with mcdavid more than anyone else, then nuge, then mcleod.... when the best player in the game decides hes better off to pretend you dont exist then to pass it to you thats an issue... I he wants a job in the NHL he is going to have to reinvent himself ala LAZAR

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Meh, not interested

If we're going to give guys a sample size to see what they've got we've got prospects in Abbotsford we can look at

Klimovich, Raty, Karlsson, Bains, we could even bring back Hoglander and lit him hit his waiver eligible mark as he's going to hit it sometime next season anyway 

I'd sooner give our own guys a chance to show what they've currently got than pick up another project 

These guys take priority I agree, but none of them should come up to the big club this year.  They need consistency and to finish off the year in the AHL.  Puljujarvi comes in on an audition to see if he was impacted by the Edmonton situation or if he just can't put it together at all.  Based on that outcome you re-evaluate your depth chart, and if he just continues to be a major project, then you just release him.  Nothing to lose here and his timeline of the rest of this year doesn't impact any core pieces of our future.

2 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

and he is playing with mcdavid more than anyone else, then nuge, then mcleod.... when the best player in the game decides hes better off to pretend you dont exist then to pass it to you thats an issue... I he wants a job in the NHL he is going to have to reinvent himself ala LAZAR

Yupppp

Maybe he gets that opportunity somewhere, I'd just rather it not be here, if we want someone who could develop into a bottom six NHL'er we may as well give our own prospects a shot at it 

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

These guys take priority I agree, but none of them should come up to the big club this year.  They need consistency and to finish off the year in the AHL.  Puljujarvi comes in on an audition to see if he was impacted by the Edmonton situation or if he just can't put it together at all.  Based on that outcome you re-evaluate your depth chart, and if he just continues to be a major project, then you just release him.  Nothing to lose here and his timeline of the rest of this year doesn't impact any core pieces of our future.

Ehhh.. you seem interested in him and that's fine, more power to you

I'm just completely underwhelmed by him at this point and have zero interest 

If you can't hack it playing in a top six featuring two of the most offensively gifted players on the planet in McDavid and Draisaitl more than likely you simply don't have what it takes to be a top six player in the NHL 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Ehhh.. you seem interested in him and that's fine, more power to you

I'm just completely underwhelmed by him at this point and have zero interest 

If you can't hack it playing in a top six featuring two of the most offensively gifted players on the planet in McDavid and Draisaitl more than likely you simply don't have what it takes to be a top six player in the NHL 

I just think it's worth trying (Zero risk) based on the elements of what he can bring (Size, Speed and previous offensive ability).  If he shows nothing more than Edmonton, then you waive him again or leave him unqualified.  If we had guys that we should really showcase this year, I would be against it, but we need to not rush our guys into the NHL.  Our farm team finally has prospects that are on an NHL trajectory over the next few years.

The not gelling with McDavid and Drai seems like a major red flag, but at the point of development he was at, and with the Oilers wanting to be true contenders, then have zero buffer to try something longer (Similar to finding a Sedin winger previously).  Edm has a similarly bad problem to us in not developing prospects very well (Outside of franchise or generational players who will succeed no matter what) because of allusions of being a contender, but it may be a unique opportunity where we have committed to a retool, more focus on development (With a fundamentals type coach), to give someone like him a chance.  He has better raw skill and ability than Tolvanen and he turned it around immediately in a new environment.