The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

People say this year is a strong draft year. Well, I only see top 4 are foundational players.

Rate this topic

tan

13 hours ago, kloubek said:

Provided we don't see a big surge under Tocchet (and missing outgoing players) we are going to have a very high pick. If we make a bold move to acquire another 1st, I could see a real opportunity to flip those plus something for the 1OA. Which would be a dream come true for both parties.

I cannot comment on the other players you pointed out, but to me, we gotta go for the jewel in the gold.

We have an absolute muffin of a schedule down the stretch.  We are only where we are due to a bloodbath of January schedule.  I'd fully expect to be picking in the 10-12 range unless we move out a few more key players.  

50 minutes ago, BCNate said:

We have an absolute muffin of a schedule down the stretch.  We are only where we are due to a bloodbath of January schedule.  I'd fully expect to be picking in the 10-12 range unless we move out a few more key players.  

I mean yea the schedule has been tough but our goaltending (and weak defending) has been the biggest reason for losses right now.

When our goalies are consistently letting in 4+ goals there’s not many teams we’re gonna beat.

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean yea the schedule has been tough but our goaltending (and weak defending) has been the biggest reason for losses right now.

When our goalies are consistently letting in 4+ goals there’s not many teams we’re gonna beat.

We have the easiest strength of schedule in the NHL the rest of the way,  So far this year we have had the hardest.  Only 10 of our last 30 are on the road, 3 of those road games are against playoff teams.  5 of our home games are against playoff teams. 

We are going to be hard pressed not to pass a few teams, especially of Demko gets back next week. 

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You are dreaming. Nothing's going to move the 1OA. People's been saying Bedard will be as transformation as Crosby for Pittsburgh for a while now. 

- Islander's 12th
- Our 7th
- Hoglander
Lekkerimaki

- 2024 2nd, 3rd.

I dunno... I think that's a compelling package in such a deep draft, imo.

Edited by kloubek

17 hours ago, coho8888 said:

Lets say we pick 5th or 6th and Will Smith is available.  If Detroit's pick lands outside the top 10, would you swap picks plus Seider from Detroit?  Would Detroit do it?

Yes... more importantly, I'm sure PA would do so...

On 2/10/2023 at 7:32 PM, kloubek said:

- Islander's 12th
- Our 7th
- Hoglander
Lekkerimaki

- 2024 2nd, 3rd.

There’s zero chance the team that wins the lottery sees that offer as more attractive than a true generational player. 

Plus, your offer isn’t even possible.  If the Isles pick is 12th they keep it.  It has to be 13th or higher 

Edited by qwijibo

On 2/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, kloubek said:

- Islander's 12th
- Our 7th
- Hoglander
Lekkerimaki

- 2024 2nd, 3rd.

think deeper. No GM's going to trade you Bedard and risk possibly being called the stupidest GM in the century. If any GM trades away Bedard and Bedard goes on to become the next Crosby on the other team. Bam. 10 out of 10 GMs will just go with the flow and draft Bedard. 

This is why you are asking for the impossible. 

On 2/13/2023 at 1:22 AM, Drakrami said:

think deeper. No GM's going to trade you Bedard and risk possibly being called the stupidest GM in the century. If any GM trades away Bedard and Bedard goes on to become the next Crosby on the other team. Bam. 10 out of 10 GMs will just go with the flow and draft Bedard. 

This is why you are asking for the impossible. 

I'm thinking of a team like Columbus. They want to win now. Miller and hughes and nj's 1st would help them a lot. Steep price but i think that's the level that makes it possible. 

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

It's about much more than how many "foundational" players there are....it's about depth,. and depth of quality players at each position. 

I think that's what JR/Allvin have been talking about too. We have the key core guys (Petey, Hughes, Demko) but we lack the depth in the supporting cast, especially on D. We really only have Quinn. The rest of our D is either bottom pair at best. Hughes carries our D.  

• There it is 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think that's what JR/Allvin have been talking about too. We have the key core guys (Petey, Hughes, Demko) but we lack the depth in the supporting cast, especially on D. We really only have Quinn. The rest of our D is either bottom pair at best. Hughes carries our D.  

100%, drafting is also about picking guys to compliment a lineup or add something your system doesn't have. Most drafts only have 3 or 4 players that can come in right away and make a difference. We obviously need to take the best players available, but they really need to stock up the back end if they can. There's aren't many Den ranked in the top 10, if any but I hope they can take one if the Islanders pick falls past 12. 

Probably everyone in the first round will be some sort of future star, I see maybe only 3 or 4 busts.

Bedard will be generational the way McDavid, Crosby and Ovi were.

Fantilli and Carlsson will be future star centers, or "elite" if you will. Michkov falls in the area of star winger.

I think guys like Smith, Yager, Dvorsky etc. will be future solid top-6 centers.

The rest will be a bunch of full time NHLers but not elite, but you know there'll be a couple of surprises in the late 1st-onwards who end up absolute studs too.

• Like 1