The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Direction of the team is still confusing/Mushy Middle

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I am still having trouble figuring out what the team's plan is. Yes they have traded Horvat but it's being reported they are unsure if they are trading Schenn. I get the leadership part of it but if they can get assets for him that will help in the future because really does it matter if he stays an extra couple of years on a team like this? They need to cash in now. It just feels similar to the old regime when they want to hang onto players when we all know they need to move them. I am hoping they aren't close to finished. Hopefully they trade Boeser, Garland, Myers, and possibly Demko if they can get a good return. We all know right now there is a coaching bump and they are still letting in goals like a sieve. I don't know when I start hearing they want to keep players it's puzzling. It feels like they just fall in love with players and just forget about continuing to build for the future. I hope they have more deals. These games at the end always seem to change their mind. I think it's the paranoia of having these pointless winning streaks at the end where they convince management that see we're not that bad. Then they come in again next year and stink the joint out. No more pointless winning streaks, please!

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to Direction of the team is still confusing/Mushy Middle

What this management group says and does have been so different it is hard to know if we are coming or going. 
Trading Bo had to be done after signing Miller, Mik and Kuz. The return was more future focused than expected and that is good but wouldn’t call it a pattern yet.

I don’t think we will make the Islanders pick, I bet it will get traded and we will see more short-cut deals to try to move us back into the mushy middle. There is no desire by ownership or JR to undertake the painful process of a true rebuild. 
It is too bad that they don’t trust their fan base and instead alienate them more with this constant run for mediocrity and hope for either lottery luck or goalie to get hot at right time. It is what theOilers have done for so long and the reason they still are barely a playoff team with McD, Drais etc, it is how the Leafs ruined Sundin’s career chances and seems to be what we will put EP through unless he decides to jump ship. 

12 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am still having trouble figuring out what the team's plan is. Yes they have traded Horvat but it's being reported they are unsure if they are trading Schenn. I get the leadership part of it but if they can get assets for him that will help in the future because really does it matter if he stays an extra couple of years on a team like this? They need to cash in now. It just feels similar to the old regime when they want to hang onto players when we all know they need to move them. I am hoping they aren't close to finished. Hopefully they trade Boeser, Garland, Myers, and possibly Demko if they can get a good return. We all know right now there is a coaching bump and they are still letting in goals like a sieve. I don't know when I start hearing they want to keep players it's puzzling. It feels like they just fall in love with players and just forget about continuing to build for the future. I hope they have more deals. These games at the end always seem to change their mind. I think it's the paranoia of having these pointless winning streaks at the end where they convince management that see we're not that bad. Then they come in again next year and stink the joint out. No more pointless winning streaks, please!

Maybe the report about internals pushing to keep Schenn is a ruse to boost his return?

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am still having trouble figuring out what the team's plan is.

It's ok; you don't need to know.

It's preferable that management holds their cards close to their vests.

This year is a crazy transition year and some things are done just to position the team for other things down the road.

Relax; and enjoy the Go.

It's not the deadline yet. I suspect the Canucks will do a few more deals, but those rarely happen on extended road trips. It was a classy move to announce the Bo deal during the break to give him some time to adjust and make arrangements before the team went on the road. 

If the team's destiny is based on the return for Schenn, you are seriously deluding yourself.

We can't lose either way:

We trade him: We gain a 2nd rounder, possibly a prospect, and we might even sign him again in the summer. It also helps tank by losing one of the few good defenders we have.

We keep him: Low cost, capable defender, that's a team guy that can help young players by being a mentor and good role model.

Schenn. We can't lose either way.

It's what happens with Garland, Boeser, Hoglander, and the veteran defenders who can't seem to defend that's the problem

For the right price I'm ok with trading Hughes. But it has to be a fantastic return.

This team is in cap hell. It's going to be very hard to improve with bare cupboards, and other GM's want dollar in/dollar out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I get you. But chill, last year was a fluke. Last night's win prove that Horvat was expendable and he netted us a decent return. So a plus for management there. 

But still we gave up 5 goals. Nothing's changed. We still suck and I know for sure we are going to lose the next 4-5 games, and but then it's the trade deadline and Allvin will pull the trigger

Edited by Petterson649

This team looks to be in almost the exact same spot as Toronto was when they traded for Kessel.  We have a couple more premium pieces of course in pettersson and Hughes (Demko unknown post injury) but it looks the same.

Aging, no assets, no prospects.  Trading draft capital.  Pretending all is well and continuing to push for the unattainable based on the on ice product.

Give them time to figure it out, but my biggest fear is that unless an actual move towards a serious rebuild is made by trading any one of or combination of Boeser/Miller/Demko/Hughes and recouping the assets needed to push towards a viable future, that we will continue to pretend mediocrity is a success 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think everything will remain murky up until the draft.

Some players and contracts are more favorably moved in the off season when teams can make cap space so we may have to wait and see.

Here comes all the “we are only a couple pieces away” 

crowd. 
they like to show up in Feb/March when the team goes on it annual pointless winning streak.

Canucks poised to win another Canuck Cup and totally waste a wasted year by ruining their draft position. 

then wonder what happen when the teams out of the playoffs by Christmas yet again look act like its never happened before.

miller played great after Bruce took over how’d he do to start the season again? New coach look who’s showed up again…wow so surprising. 

let’s act surprised next spring again. 

But managment got a new coach their guy and they want him to look good so time to get the number 1 back in and push for that 

Goal to be a loser next year to. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Petterson649 said:

I get you. But chill, last year was a fluke. Last night's win prove that Horvat was expendable and he netted us a decent return. So a plus for management there. 

But still we gave up 5 goals. Nothing's changed. We still suck and I know for sure we are going to lose the next 4-5 games, and but then it's the trade deadline and Allvin will pull the trigger

To be fair to how the team played, Delia was terrible last night, aside from a few good saves. 

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This team looks to be in almost the exact same spot as Toronto was when they traded for Kessel.  We have a couple more premium pieces of course in pettersson and Hughes (Demko unknown post injury) but it looks the same.

Aging, no assets, no prospects.  Trading draft capital.  Pretending all is well and continuing to push for the unattainable based on the on ice product.

Give them time to figure it out, but my biggest fear is that unless an actual move towards a serious rebuild is made by trading any one of or combination of Boeser/Miller/Demko/Hughes and recouping the assets needed to push towards a viable future, that we will continue to pretend mediocrity is a success 

That's what I'm a afraid of too. The Canucks are 3 goals against from being the worst goals against in the league. That's not just bad goaltending, that's bad defence, and no help from the forwards defending. It's doesn't have to come from blocked shots. It comes from keeping the opposition to the outside. Getting low percentage shots on goal, instead of letting forwards in getting shots from in close. This is not a quick fix thing. Or just a structure change. Our mix is all wrong. Benning was trying for a team that looked good on paper not on the ice. His blundering of the salary cap has lost us talented free agents, and screwed the team from being able to make trades.

Stock up your shelves, break out your sleeping bags, this is going to take a while.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's what I'm a afraid of too. The Canucks are 3 goals against from being the worst goals against in the league. That's not just bad goaltending, that's bad defence, and no help from the forwards defending. It's doesn't have to come from blocked shots. It comes from keeping the opposition to the outside. Getting low percentage shots on goal, instead of letting forwards in getting shots from in close. This is not a quick fix thing. Or just a structure change. Our mix is all wrong. Benning was trying for a team that looked good on paper not on the ice. His blundering of the salary cap has lost us talented free agents, and screwed the team from being able to make trades.

Stock up your shelves, break out your sleeping bags, this is going to take a while.

Yet, we're heaping praises on RT and his structure, since he took over from Boudreau. If this is the "new coach bump" heaven help us. 3, 4, and 5 goals against isn't a bump. He reminds me so much of Mike Keenan, and that makes me very concerned.

• Cheers 1