The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Direction of the team is still confusing/Mushy Middle

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yet, we're heaping praises on RT and his structure, since he took over from Boudreau. If this is the "new coach bump" heaven help us. 3, 4, and 5 goals against isn't a bump. He reminds me so much of Mike Keenan, and that makes me very concerned.

Why does Tocchet remind you of Keenan?

IF management's smart, they can definitely utilize any hot streak that Boeser/ Garland/ Beauvillier go on offensively to trade them for something.  
Schenn also should be traded and then sign him back as a UFA, and then let Podkolzin stay in a top-6 role.
Hopefully they sell Miller before his clause and go young up the middle with the assets they get in his trade.
Myers we'll just have to wait out until at least next year, but I think we're only a few moves and some patience away from selling the above listed guys for at least adequate value.
If moving Bo was the spark that the team needed, then we can thank Cap for going, and hope for the best for these pricey vets so we can ship them out (since the guys at the top e.g. 96-40-65, 43-74 and the 4th line/ 3rd pair guys aren't the problem, and we aren't moving OEL).

• Vintage 1

This team needs at east one more major trade that has one player going out and multiple pieces coming back.  The status quo here isn't going to get anywhere as is and there simply isn't enough depth nor enough cap to create the depth needed to get out of the so called mushy middle.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why does Tocchet remind you of Keenan?

The "old school" ways of coaching won't work in today's NHL. Sitting Kuzmenko on a team that doesn't have many positives at this point of the season doesn't make any sense to me. Garland does more whirling dervish moves and the play ends. Kuz at least has some results to show for his shortcomings.

• Cheers 2

I think when Demko comes back we're really going to ruin our tank job. They'll play tight defence under Tocchet but these bad AHL goals we're letting in will disappear if Demko is healthy again and we'll end up with a 12-14th overall pick instead of a top-10 and stab at a great top young center.

Management need to step in and stop this - trade away our great forwards and pieces. Boeser is playing well now, Miller is thriving under Rick and without Bo. Problem is without Bo, we've still got a lot of good pieces and pretty good team up front. They will find ways to score themselves into points in the standings. Management have to step in, trade away some forwards, and negate that possibility to truly tank and rebuild. Otherwise we waste Raty and the first if we can't complement them and build a decent young core around them.

11 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Yet, we're heaping praises on RT and his structure, since he took over from Boudreau. If this is the "new coach bump" heaven help us. 3, 4, and 5 goals against isn't a bump. He reminds me so much of Mike Keenan, and that makes me very concerned.

Tocchet seems to be just assessing the team and good chance, he would prefer another good piece from this years draft to add to the line up, in a few years.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

14 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am still having trouble figuring out what the team's plan is. Yes they have traded Horvat but it's being reported they are unsure if they are trading Schenn. I get the leadership part of it but if they can get assets for him that will help in the future because really does it matter if he stays an extra couple of years on a team like this? They need to cash in now. It just feels similar to the old regime when they want to hang onto players when we all know they need to move them. I am hoping they aren't close to finished. Hopefully they trade Boeser, Garland, Myers, and possibly Demko if they can get a good return. We all know right now there is a coaching bump and they are still letting in goals like a sieve. I don't know when I start hearing they want to keep players it's puzzling. It feels like they just fall in love with players and just forget about continuing to build for the future. I hope they have more deals. These games at the end always seem to change their mind. I think it's the paranoia of having these pointless winning streaks at the end where they convince management that see we're not that bad. Then they come in again next year and stink the joint out. No more pointless winning streaks, please!

I can see why you’re having trouble… Schenn should get a 3 round pick maybe a 2nd if someone is desperate. Not many 3rd round picks make it in the league let alone become a difference maker. A lot of hockey minds think Schenn is a great guy to have in the room for leadership.

highly value 2nd/3rd draft picks, but still support not trading Schenn this deadline. He has a baby on the way, was just injured, provides valuable leadership and toughness, and is outperforming his contract at the most difficult position to fill. After all the negative press, would be some much needed class and goodwill from the franchise. 

For those of you still sitting on the fence about this player and that and whether we should/need to trade them, keep in mind this same group of players has failed for the past several years.   Getting rid of 1 good player (BO) isn't going to change anything.  The entire defensive corp MUST GO (except QH - unless we get a blockbuster offer) and most of our forwards including BB6, Garland, Dries, and the other plumbers.   If you think making 1 or 2 more trades is going to change the direction of this team - then I have a bridge to sell you!  It still amazes me how some people just don't learn and face facts that this team is an assembly of completely incompatible players and must be dis-assembled and rebuilt or we'll be having this same conversation in 5 years.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

19 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The "old school" ways of coaching won't work in today's NHL. Sitting Kuzmenko on a team that doesn't have many positives at this point of the season doesn't make any sense to me. Garland does more whirling dervish moves and the play ends. Kuz at least has some results to show for his shortcomings.

Completely agree. 

Would be really nice to see them commit to a direction.

Trading Hamonic for a 3rd was a huge win, until they traded a 3rd for Dermott.

Trading a 5th for Bear was a great deal, except they had to trade a 2nd to dump Dickinson to do it.

Trading Horvat for futures was smart, except they signed Miller for 8 years and might re sign Schenn.

Pick a side, stick to it. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Tocchet seems to be just assessing the team and good chance, he would prefer another good piece from this years draft to add to the line up, in a few years.

The only issue I have with this is, will any of the management group or coaching staff be around "in a few years"? I hope I'm wrong, as if all that takes place, neither will EP or Hughes.

13 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I can see why you’re having trouble… Schenn should get a 3 round pick maybe a 2nd if someone is desperate. Not many 3rd round picks make it in the league let alone become a difference maker. A lot of hockey minds think Schenn is a great guy to have in the room for leadership.

You still take those chances especially since the cupboards don't have enough in them. We aren't in a place where we can't take risks on picks. It's the way it has to be since Benning traded so many picks. People act as though we can't take risks but really that's all we should be doing. It's pretty sad when people are saying well the pick won't likely work out anyways. If we were close to contending then yes but we aren't  winning with him anyways.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The only issue I have with this is, will any of the management group or coaching staff be around "in a few years"? I hope I'm wrong, as if all that takes place, neither will EP or Hughes.

The short term contracts - once again points back to Francescos' preferred way of running the Canucks and it is nothing new.  I don't think, anything will change with Francesco cause despite the poor on ice product & results, he is is still profitable.  The on ice product, is just a reflection of Francesco and his decisions cause of his tendency to handcuffed his FO's.  Until the club ceases to be profitable he will not change and even if it stops being profitable he will just throw his FO/coach under the bus

Such rampant optimism calling us the mushy middle... we are near the bottom still and no other capped out team has been so consistently bad for the last almost decade.  The only other teams that have stayed at the bottom are budget teams and rebuilding ones.

No help coming in the near future in terms of prospects, and cap space is going to get eaten up by raises.  Petterson is going to get a raise in the ballpark of $4 million per year... so take off the Myers cap hit and for the same money, you will get to keep Petterson and add a $2 million 3rd pairing D.  No savings there at all.  Myers isn't good, but he is more than a $2 million dollar player... we actually likely go backwards with that swap.  

Bear is due a raise this year, Podkolzin the year after who will take up the money previously spent on Pearson.

Our near future is spending any future cap space just to try to keep up with efficient contracts expiring.   Treading water on a roster that isn't near a playoff calibre, never mind a serious threat for the Stanley Cup.  Our only real hope is for something magical to happen... several magical things really.  We need a couple of late rounders to quickly become elite players, and massive internal improvement by our current roster.  We need players who are already performing near the top of their career ceilings to take big steps forward.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

Such rampant optimism calling us the mushy middle... we are near the bottom still and no other capped out team has been so consistently bad for the last almost decade.  The only other teams that have stayed at the bottom are budget teams and rebuilding ones.

No help coming in the near future in terms of prospects, and cap space is going to get eaten up by raises.  Petterson is going to get a raise in the ballpark of $4 million per year... so take off the Myers cap hit and for the same money, you will get to keep Petterson and add a $2 million 3rd pairing D.  No savings there at all.  Myers isn't good, but he is more than a $2 million dollar player... we actually likely go backwards with that swap.  

Bear is due a raise this year, Podkolzin the year after who will take up the money previously spent on Pearson.

Our near future is spending any future cap space just to try to keep up with efficient contracts expiring.   Treading water on a roster that isn't near a playoff calibre, never mind a serious threat for the Stanley Cup.  Our only real hope is for something magical to happen... several magical things really.  We need a couple of late rounders to quickly become elite players, and massive internal improvement by our current roster.  We need players who are already performing near the top of their career ceilings to take big steps forward.

Well you need picks to give yourself a better chance of some actually working out. It really doesn't make sense in the long term to keep Schenn.

55 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well you need picks to give yourself a better chance of some actually working out. It really doesn't make sense in the long term to keep Schenn.

Absolutely… it doesn’t make much sense to keep many of our players in the long term based on what I posted.  I am advocating for a complete tear down rebuild and pick up a lot of picks and high end prospects.

If we want to re-sign Schenn in the offseason, fine.  Costs is nothing and you do have to fill a roster.  Cheap veterans on short term deals of 2 years or less… plus whoever we can take from other teams to solve their cap problems by giving us futures.  We can make up a team just as successful in the standings as our current team even without Petterson, Demko, and Hughes…. And have a huge haul of future in return for them.

The focus of the management group has to be laser sharp on acquiring defensive assets.

So far I am not seeing that.

They had all of the off-season last year, and they have had since December when it became obvious this was not a playoff team.

Until they get down and really make improving the team defensively their #1 priority, the franchise will continue to fail to be a contender.