The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Greenway on the TSN Trade Bait Board

HKSR

So a 25yo 6'6" Greenway is on the trade bait board.  What would it take to acquire him?  Is he a Tocchet type player?  I would think so.

Clearly Minny wouldn't want any cap coming back their way, so it would have to be a prospect or a pick. 

Having Greenway, Lazar, and Joshua on a 3rd line would be pretty nice to see.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So a 25yo 6'6" Greenway is on the trade bait board.  What would it take to acquire him?  Is he a Tocchet type player?  I would think so.

Clearly Minny wouldn't want any cap coming back their way, so it would have to be a prospect or a pick. 

Having Greenway, Lazar, and Joshua on a 3rd line would be pretty nice to see.

If they are looking towards the future and moving Zuccarello out maybe they would consider a Greenway for Boeser swap.  I think he would bring an element to our team that we don't have on the 3rd line with his size and ability.  We can't afford to toss futures at this point however but could do a player swap.

Joshua has proven to being able to play on the 3rd or 4th line this year, but if Lazar is a regular 3rd liner, then I think we have failed our re-tool.  

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If they are looking towards the future and moving Zuccarello out maybe they would consider a Greenway for Boeser swap.  I think he would bring an element to our team that we don't have on the 3rd line with his size and ability.  We can't afford to toss futures at this point however but could do a player swap.

Joshua has proven to being able to play on the 3rd or 4th line this year, but if Lazar is a regular 3rd liner, then I think we have failed our re-tool.  

Boeser had a 4 point game last night. That is 2 less points then Greenway has this entire season. Although I like what Greenway brings, he is no way, a Boeser comparable. Does anyone understand that there are very few players that ever score 4 points in a game? Double that up by scoring 60 points a season.

IMO......contract aside, Boeser is light years away from Greenway. 

Boeser $1,000,000 retained

for

Greenway + 2023-2nd (It really should be a 1st, but I holding back)

• Upvote 1

Keep Boeser!!!!!! Canucks are foolish to move Brock this year...Boeser I believe will be more trusted than Kuzmenko with coach Tocchet. Kuz can change that of course but he will have to buy in to what the coach wants him to do.

Trade the Wild Myers with retention for Greenway. Myers can replace Dumba for next year at a lesser cap hit.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Can't see them trading Zuccarello.  Kaprizov and Zuccarello have been tied to the hip on and off the ice.  Bowness even compares their chemistry on the ice to the Sedins.  It's the only thing that's going for the Wild right now.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Keep Boeser!!!!!! Canucks are foolish to move Brock this year...Boeser I believe will be more trusted than Kuzmenko with coach Tocchet. Kuz can change that of course but he will have to buy in to what the coach wants him to do.

Trade the Wild Myers with retention for Greenway. Myers can replace Dumba for next year at a lesser cap hit.

Greenway makes 3M.  They have to clear his cap space because they are completely cap strapped with their buyouts increasing by another 2M to reach nearly 15M.

Sending them players back that are more expensive than Greenway makes no sense - it simply does not work cap wise.  They have to replace him by someone cheaper than 3M and not bring in a player at the same cap hit and/or more expensive than him as it wouldn't solve any of their cap issues.

They have already ear-marked Faber to replace Dumba - they need players on ELCs and/or making near league minimum.

Edited by mll

10 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Yes, wondering this as well. I have noticed Boeser playing harder this season, skating faster to pucks, battling along the boards, but he hasn't been producing like he should. Last night was an example of how good he can be, so I wonder if they should keep him as well. He could get back to that next level playing with Petey on a regular basis.

Maybe Garland is the top 6 forward to go?

Beauvillier - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Miller - Podkolzin

Joshua - ? - Mikheyev

DiGiuseppe - Lazar - Studnicka

Raty

next season?

I have noticed as well that Kuzmenko's game has changed. He's not as noticeable and flashy. He was making the smart (boring) plays last night, but it worked. He'll eventually get his game back offensively, I think.

Edited by NUCKER67

Tempting since he brings an element that we are missing on this team. But his salary is also 3 mil and have 2 years left...

Given that we are in a rebuild, I would say no.

Eventually we will need a player like him but we can address it at a later point. Right now he probably has more value to a playoff team looking for some physicality.

People gush over him because of his size and toughness but I'd rather we have gritty bottom-6 forwards who can kill penalties really well and are defensive experts over big tough goons. 

We should be doing everything we can to acquire guys like Motte, Lammikko and Highmore. That line was undoubtedly a big reason we had any success in the last 5 years.

How dare you oust my boy Aman from his place on the 4th line

I do like what JG brings when he is on his game.  Speed and toughness. One element the Canucks sorely lack is someone that can hit like him.  

IF Studnicka can play C (not sure he can but I really hope so-he’s got the wheels to do it) that would definitely be an interesting third line.  

IM EP AK

AB JTM VP

JG JS NH/??

DJ NA CL

4 hours ago, mll said:

Greenway makes 3M.  They have to clear his cap space because they are completely cap strapped with their buyouts increasing by another 2M to reach nearly 15M.

Sending them players back that are more expensive than Greenway makes no sense - it simply does not work cap wise.  They have to replace him by someone cheaper than 3M and not bring in a player at the same cap hit and/or more expensive than him as it wouldn't solve any of their cap issues.

They have already ear-marked Faber to replace Dumba - they need players on ELCs and/or making near league minimum.

You of all people should know a team cannot parachute or rely on a 20 year old for a Top 4 role as Dumba plays.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You of all people should know a team cannot parachute or rely on a 20 year old for a Top 4 role as Dumba plays.

What's the alternative?  They are completely cap strapped next season and will need players on ELCs and/or near league minimum to complete their roster, with their own RFAs also needing to be reasonable.  They could even be moving Addison if he doesn't take a team friendly deal per Russo.  

Dumba has also had a really bad season.  Brodin is still his high end defensive self and the hope is that he can guide Faber (but they are probably also in on Livingstone).  They already thought Faber was top-4 NHL ready last off-season and tried to sign him but he wanted to return for another season.  

Greenway is on the block because they need his 3M cap space to sign their own players.  He's also not been having a great season either and Minnesota might just be losing patience with the inconsistency and lack of commitment.  He even forced them to ice 11Fs vs 12 because he overslept.

It's not been a good season for the Wild.  Their 5v5 scoring has completely plummeted and lots of players have not been able to replicate their seasons.  Feels like Guerin has also under-estimated the effect of moving Fiala.  Without him they've lost their 2nd line being a threat and it changed matchups.  

Not much cap flexibility to change things around (Boeser is not a line driver like Fiala either) and Guerin also doesn't want to spend.  He was just on Russo's podcast this week and re-iterated that the Wild are not at the stage where they can move prospects or draft picks. So it's going to have to be internal improvement and ELCs.

Edited by mll