The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Demko to Ottawa

I think if this MGMT group is unsure about whether Demko is willing to stick out at least 2-3 more years of losing/being a fringe playoff team at best, as he enters his prime... I wonder if a move to Ottawa could work for both sides? Ottawa is ripe with D prospects and let's be honest, Anton Forsberg ain't gonna cut it. Adding Demko (cost controlled at a reasonable price for the next 3 seasons, could catapult them into a playoff spot, especially if Demko can regain his confidence & form. *I would prefer we hang onto Demko but if he wants out, I would want a package like the following and I prefer Ottawa as a trade partner in comparison to LA because they don't play in our DIV and will miss the playoffs this year granting us a better pick than LA would, who seem playoff bound.

To Ottawa: Demko

To Vancouver: -Bernard Docker (RD prospect) who could be a great partner for Huggy in the years to come. 

- 1st rnd  pick 2023 unprotected - they don't need anymore high picks, it is time for them to start competing for the playoffs annually and Demko is a legit #1 they NEED!

A deal like this could even be made on the draft floor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

In regards to your proposal. Last year there is no way I would consider moving Demko but with Bo gone it makes sense we need to bottom out this year and next and we can't do that with the snatcher in net. 

I mean they're sending Demko to the AHL for a reconditioning stint, so even when he gets healthy in a week or two, he'll be another 10 days away from playing.  

We will have only 20 games left when Demko rejoins the big club and nobody will force us to play him every game.  

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I think if this MGMT group is unsure about whether Demko is willing to stick out at least 2-3 more years of losing/being a fringe playoff team at best, as he enters his prime... I wonder if a move to Ottawa could work for both sides? Ottawa is ripe with D prospects and let's be honest, Anton Forsberg ain't gonna cut it. Adding Demko (cost controlled at a reasonable price for the next 3 seasons, could catapult them into a playoff spot, especially if Demko can regain his confidence & form. *I would prefer we hang onto Demko but if he wants out, I would want a package like the following and I prefer Ottawa as a trade partner in comparison to LA because they don't play in our DIV and will miss the playoffs this year granting us a better pick than LA would, who seem playoff bound.

To Vancouver: -Bernard Docker (RD prospect) who could be a great partner for Huggy in the years to come. 

- 1st rnd  pick 2023 unprotected - they don't need anymore high picks, it is time for them to start competing for the playoffs annually and Demko is a legit #1 they NEED!

That sounds like a pretty fair deal, especially if Ottawa ends up picking 10th-14th which I would guess.  No team will trade an unprotected pick this year unless they're guaranteed to not be in the lottery. 

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

I think if this MGMT group is unsure about whether Demko is willing to stick out at least 2-3 more years of losing/being a fringe playoff team at best, as he enters his prime... I wonder if a move to Ottawa could work for both sides?

Are you sure he does want to go? Because if he does want to stay I'd rather keep him. 

I'd rather wait and see if he wants to go. Like we did with Bo.

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Solid proposal. Who would you target to replace Demko? Jarry?

Cory Schneider is one of the biggest goalie trades all-time.   Can't include Ken Dryden, the most lopsided trade in league history, before he'd even played an NHL game.   Who else?  Patrick Roy. And of course Milbury Luongo deal.   Bert for Luongo again.    Goalies ... well blue chip ones usually don't get shuffled but it's happened.   Demko is on ice for us.   Maybe we trade him.   But i doubt we will get what people think we will.   OTT is a good target but that's a very steep price to pay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I mean they're sending Demko to the AHL for a reconditioning stint, so even when he gets healthy in a week or two, he'll be another 10 days away from playing.  

We will have only 20 games left when Demko rejoins the big club and nobody will force us to play him every game.  

Aside from Kuzmenko, this is the best thing that could have happened to us this year.   Team knows, management knows and Demko knows, once he's back we cut probably 1 for sure maybe  2 GAA per game.   That means theory wise - next season, without any upgrades to our D ... we win a lot more games.    Personally think that's what they are doing right now.   Demko would have to get us a deal that's just too good to be true. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

there's literally no way Demko would get you an unprotected lottery pick.. Schneider got us a 9th overall.. and Schneider at that time is >>> Demko.. in the 3 seasons he's like avg low 2.0 in gaa and in the mid 920s in sv%.. let alone coming off a surgery in the off season and another injury mid season.. for all we know his poor play might have to do with his undisclosed knee surgury in the offseason.. teams would really have to be desperate for a goalie to risk trading for demko who still have 3 years at 5mil.. it would be a massive gamble to pray he comes back to form. if Demko proves he's back in form in the remaining of the season? maybe they'll consider next years 1st... i don't see any scenario ottawa gives up a pretty much guaranteed top 10 lottery pick for a goalie let alone add a B prospect on top

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

there's literally no way Demko would get you an unprotected lottery pick.. Schneider got us a 9th overall.. and Schneider at that time is >>> Demko.. in the 3 seasons he's like avg low 2.0 in gaa and in the mid 920s in sv%.. let alone coming off a surgery in the off season and another injury mid season.. for all we know his poor play might have to do with his undisclosed knee surgury in the offseason.. teams would really have to be desperate for a goalie to risk trading for demko who still have 3 years at 5mil.. it would be a massive gamble to pray he comes back to form. if Demko proves he's back in form in the remaining of the season? maybe they'll consider next years 1st... i don't see any scenario ottawa gives up a pretty much guaranteed top 10 lottery pick for a goalie let alone add a B prospect on top

Demko cones back and plays like Double Bubble Boy. At the draft there will be several teams bidding for him. Could see an astronomical return. image.thumb.jpeg.8828573df6858c5dee01e1b10c7f03f7.jpeg

I don't agree with trading Demko, but to play, if Bo as a "rental" nets us a mid-1st, solid prospect and middle-6 young winger, then Demko (arguably more value to a club with his great contract) should snag us a first, prospect and player/pick.

I think the first is fair but surely top-3 protected at a minimum, maybe even top-5 protected. I think we should take that. Top 10 in this draft is arguably top-5 in any other draft.

For the prospect I'd take Berard-Docker or even Lassi Thomson (Finnish RD). 

We deserve a roster player coming back too, heck why not Tyler Motte and sign him to a 1.25M deal...

At this upcoming draft we snag a center with our pick and two defencemen with the mid-range picks (eg. Reinbacher and Gulyayev) and suddenly we have a decent future crop of defencemen to build around. If the Sens' pick is still 8-10th overall there'll surely be a good forward who will fall to that number though for some reason who we could collect. Problem is we'll have to rely on UFA goalies for a while and draft some more to fill the system with to let Silovos cook.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Solid proposal. Who would you target to replace Demko? Jarry?

If the Canucks are serious about moving Demko, there are some decent options at goalie UFA's this summer. Depends what we would be looking for I guess. 

Goalies to keep the team competitive- Anderson, Jarry (like you mentioned)

Goalies to be place holders for a few seasons while we "retool"- Reimer, Raanta

Goalie project- Blackwood

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I appreciate that goalies do not traditionally bring in a great haul but the proposed deal is plausible based on Demko's age and track record (aside from this season, he's put up solid numbers on a defensively inept team, his cap hit is easily absorbed by the Sens and he is entering his prime. He is exactly what they need to take the next step).

Vancouver would be giving up a great foundational piece and the ask of a RD prospect (Ottawa has a few to consider) and the 1st rnd pick is fair value in my opinion because Ottawa has loads of young talented skaters already- they need a goalie and Demko fits their timeline nicely. Like Buffalo, it's time they shore up their goaltending, the most important position on the ice.

I agree his injury is concerning, so to your point, perhaps a deal is swung in the summer, if at all. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Cory Schneider is one of the biggest goalie trades all-time.   Can't include Ken Dryden, the most lopsided trade in league history, before he'd even played an NHL game.   Who else?  Patrick Roy. And of course Milbury Luongo deal.   Bert for Luongo again.    Goalies ... well blue chip ones usually don't get shuffled but it's happened.   Demko is on ice for us.   Maybe we trade him.   But i doubt we will get what people think we will.   OTT is a good target but that's a very steep price to pay. 

The big goalie trades were usually for another goalie.  Andy Moog for Geoff Courtnall and Bill Ranford.  Pete Peeters for Pat Riggin.  Though the first time Peeters was traded it was for an emerging Brad McCrimmon.

Curtis Joseph to the Oilers for two 1st round picks.

Grant Fuhr to the Sabres for Daren Puppa, Dave Andreychuk and a 1st.

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone gives up an unprotected pick this year, just because it has too big a chance of looking disastrous right away.  Say a top 3 protected pick (where we get it after the lottery) could be palatable and turn into an unprotected pick next year.  Ottawa is a team that could still be worse next year, and the pick could be really good.  They get a year of Demko before they lose their pick and hopefully he makes that look good for them.

For us, next year is likely a write off, and it isn't like we are contending in the near future, so a couple 1st round picks this year, a couple next year, some extra 2nd and 3rds... maybe we have a steady pipeline of higher end players coming onto the roster from 2025-2030.  It also gives us the ability to really grow them together as a bunch in the minors.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The big goalie trades were usually for another goalie.  Andy Moog for Geoff Courtnall and Bill Ranford.  Pete Peeters for Pat Riggin.  Though the first time Peeters was traded it was for an emerging Brad McCrimmon.

Curtis Joseph to the Oilers for two 1st round picks.

Grant Fuhr to the Sabres for Daren Puppa, Dave Andreychuk and a 1st.

You bet.   So ... what sort of "haul" is a goalie with one full season under his belt, injured and 3 great playoff games going to get?   Less than Schneider (9th overall) i'm sure.    And those goalies were great.    

Demko's got potential to be a very good goalie for us,  and his cap hit is excellent IF he can pull off a stretch of top ten seasons and play 60-65 games for us.   Thanks for adding.   Those goalies were very good to elite.    Ranford's 90 playoffs was one of the best goalie performance's i've ever seen.   Playing against some tough, talented teams.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1