The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | February (12-18) 2023

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Perhaps Detroit will be one of the next couple teams to make a splash in a trade, Islanders already did it, Rangers already did it. Who's next?

In the East:  Pittsburgh, Washington, and Carolina.  

In the West: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Nashville.  

Pittsburgh and Washington each have one or two more years to go for it, and might feel obliged to give Ovi and Sid one more real shot at a cup.  

Carolina has been knocking on the door for so so long.  Wouldn't shock me to see them try and make a big splash so they can compete with Boston.  

Winnipeg much like Carolina had previously been close to breaking through but never went for it.  While we always see teams that regret making big moves and mortgaging their future for a playoff push (see Florida), I think that Winnipeg is one of the rare teams that would have regrets over not going for it when they had a chance.  

Edmonton has a lot of their picks left and are in the win-now mode.  Calgary and Nashville have a lot of their picks and have rosters that are ageing rapidly.  Nashville making a splash would be predicated on them winning 5 out of next 6 games and going into March 1st within striking distance.  

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

^ HEY, We got a tank emoji after all!

@VancouverHabitant thanks, didn't know the tanks were available.

When in Rome...  

I'm watching the Vegas-Sharks game, looks like Sharks are gonna get a point at least. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

In the East:  Pittsburgh, Washington, and Carolina.  

In the West: Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, and Nashville.  

Pittsburgh and Washington each have one or two more years to go for it, and might feel obliged to give Ovi and Sid one more real shot at a cup.  

Carolina has been knocking on the door for so so long.  Wouldn't shock me to see them try and make a big splash so they can compete with Boston.  

Winnipeg much like Carolina had previously been close to breaking through but never went for it.  While we always see teams that regret making big moves and mortgaging their future for a playoff push (see Florida), I think that Winnipeg is one of the rare teams that would have regrets over not going for it when they had a chance.  

Edmonton has a lot of their picks left and are in the win-now mode.  Calgary and Nashville have a lot of their picks and have rosters that are ageing rapidly.  Nashville making a splash would be predicated on them winning 5 out of next 6 games and going into March 1st within striking distance.  

Poile was just on the radio saying that they won't be buyers - says their team is far too inconsistent for them to spend.  They are also in a re-tool to get younger.  He actually announced that they could well be sellers if they don't improve their standings over the next few games.  They just lost 5-0 at home to Boston in pitiful way.  

Carolina is a straight line heavy checking team that relies on speed and work ethic to get to the puck 1st.  Could have seen Horvat but can't really see any of the others being a real fit.  

With Nashville potentially selling, got to wonder if they might not look to bring back Niederreiter.  They don't like giving term to players in their late 20s but he only signed a 2 year deal in Nashville. 

Edited by mll

7 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It's going to be hard to outbad the Sharks, Ducks Hawks and Jackets rest of the way. I'm actually surprised Arizona caught up. 

The Sharks weren’t even that bad. The refs were jobbing them all night. Powerplays ended up being 7-1.

If the Sharks can continue to get that kind of goaltending and hang with the best team in the division they’ll get some wins down the stretch.

The other three on the other hand will be tough to catch.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Sharks weren’t even that bad. The refs were jobbing them all night. Powerplays ended up being 7-1.

If the Sharks can continue to get that kind of goaltending and hang with the best team in the division they’ll get some wins down the stretch.

The other three on the other hand will be tough to catch.

Sharks are going to move Meier though.  He's their leading scorer after Karlsson.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Poile was just on the radio saying that they won't be buyers - says their team is far too inconsistent for them to spend.  They are also in a re-tool to get younger.  He actually announced that they could well be buyers if they don't improve their standings over the next few games.  They just lost 5-0 at home to Boston in pitiful way.  

Carolina is a straight line heavy checking team that relies on speed and work ethic to get to the puck 1st.  Could have seen Horvat but can't really see any of the others being a real fit.  

I think you meant to say sellers, and yeah I get that about Nashville.  

They get to play Florida, Minny, Vancouver, Arizona, Sharks, and Penguins to close out February.  2 games in hand, 5 points to make up on Minny...  3 games in hand, 5 points to leapfrog Calgary.  I just wonder if a win against Minny, followed by some easy games against bottom feeders won't have them sitting in 8th spot when the trade deadline comes.  

I wonder how they feel about their decision to re-sign Forsberg to the 8 year x 8.5 million contract.  Really feels similar to the decision we made with JT Miller although Forsberg was a pending UFA whereas we had one extra year to make our decision.  

Anyways thanks for sharing David Poile's view on the situation.  It's probably the prudent way to go about it, although they have so many older guys on the team.  I don't think that their situation will improve as time goes on. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Sharks are going to move Meier though.  He's their leading scorer after Karlsson.  

Yep but defensively and in net they managed to hold Vegas to one goal almost the whole game.

If they can get those kinds of efforts they’re going to pick up points, with Meier or not.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think you meant to say sellers, and yeah I get that about Nashville.  

They get to play Florida, Minny, Vancouver, Arizona, Sharks, and Penguins to close out February.  2 games in hand, 5 points to make up on Minny...  3 games in hand, 5 points to leapfrog Calgary.  I just wonder if a win against Minny, followed by some easy games against bottom feeders won't have them sitting in 8th spot when the trade deadline comes.  

I wonder how they feel about their decision to re-sign Forsberg to the 8 year x 8.5 million contract.  Really feels similar to the decision we made with JT Miller although Forsberg was a pending UFA whereas we had one extra year to make our decision.  

Anyways thanks for sharing David Poile's view on the situation.  It's probably the prudent way to go about it, although they have so many older guys on the team.  I don't think that their situation will improve as time goes on. 

Thanks.  LeBrun thinks they'll decide at the end of this week.  

All their vets have term so hard to really see how they are going to be able to move them and/or improve with their limited cap space.  

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not a very good tank night, at least the Blues won

Blues, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets get the win.

Panthers get the win and jump past the Isles.

Could have been worse but it definitely stung seeing the Sharks lose out on a point with less than 20 seconds to go…

Oh well fresh set of tank games tomorrow. Hawks and Ducks both playing. The Pens have a chance to separate themselves from the Isles too.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Blues, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets get the win.

Panthers get the win and jump past the Isles.

Could have been worse but it definitely sting seeing the Sharks lose out on a point with less than 20 seconds to go…

Oh well fresh set of tank games tomorrow. Hawks and Ducks both playing. The Pens have a chance to separate themselves from the Isles too.

Yeah, I'm really starting to zone in on the Isles.  Detroit and Buffalo are starting to make some noise.  If Isles keep playing closer to .500 hockey, we could be looking at a 13th-16th overall pick coming over in that deal, which would be fantastic.