Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Brock Boeser to Minnesota Wild

To Minnesota:

Brock Boeser

Nils Höglander

To Vancouver:

Jordan Greenway

Jesper Wallstedt

Brock gets to go back to Minnesota and the Wild get the scorer they need.  They also get a very good prospect in Höglander who doesn't seem to be a fit in Vancouver and is not waiver eligible next year so we either need to play him or trade him.

The Canucks get a big power forward who can play up and down the lineup and would be able to play Rick Tocchet hockey.  He is not having a good year at all so his trade value is low.  We also get our future #1 Swedish goalie in Wallstedt.  Makes up for the mistake of letting Markstrom go.  Wallstedt IMO was the top goalie prospect in 2021 and is having a great year in the AHL.  I think he will be a true #1 goalie in the NHL.

We shed almost $4 million in salary as well for next year...

Who says no?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I doubt Minny would part with Wallstead like that, you don't see many forward-for-goalie trades to be honest. He's a former 1st rounder, having a decent-ish year in the AHL and must be in their future plans along with Gustafsson.

I can really see a Brock-for-Dumba trade happening.

Otherwise I think we should target Faber (young RD) or Lambos (young LD) as prospects. 

Boeser + Hoglander/Rathbone for Dumba and Faber

Dumba gets a trial couple of months with us, if he's good we can re-sign him, if he is like a mini-Myers then we let him walk and use the cap space to sign a UFA defenceman (eg. Mayfield, Graves). With Faber, we get a decent RD prospect who could maybe even play on the 3rd pairing next year.

Ideally we flip Myers as well (could retain 2M if we free up cap space with Brock going if we don't retain on him) to Toronto and have a very difference defence next year.

Hughes - Mayfield

OEL - Dumba

Dermott - Faber

Wallstedt is their goalie of the future and is highly unlikely to be available.  They are so confident in his ability that they have already reserved his NHL number.  Guerin was just on Russo's podcast this week and assured that they are not at the stage of giving up high picks or prospects.  

Regardless.  How can the Wild even fit Boeser in.  Every report is that the Wild can't make the cap work - Friedman, Russo all looked into it.  Even at 50% retained.   They are already trying to trade Greenway because they need his 3M to sign their own players.  Boeser at 50% retained is already more than Greenway.

They only have 9.3M in cap space with a roster of 15 next season.  Remove Greenway and add Boeser and it leaves them with less than 6M to sign at least 7 more players if they go with a roster of 22 rather than 23.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I doubt Minny would part with Wallstead like that, you don't see many forward-for-goalie trades to be honest. He's a former 1st rounder, having a decent-ish year in the AHL and must be in their future plans along with Gustafsson.

I can really see a Brock-for-Dumba trade happening.

Otherwise I think we should target Faber (young RD) or Lambos (young LD) as prospects. 

Boeser + Hoglander/Rathbone for Dumba and Faber

Dumba gets a trial couple of months with us, if he's good we can re-sign him, if he is like a mini-Myers then we let him walk and use the cap space to sign a UFA defenceman (eg. Mayfield, Graves). With Faber, we get a decent RD prospect who could maybe even play on the 3rd pairing next year.

Ideally we flip Myers as well (could retain 2M if we free up cap space with Brock going if we don't retain on him) to Toronto and have a very difference defence next year.

Hughes - Mayfield

OEL - Dumba

Dermott - Faber

Faber is a local Minnesota boy just like Boeser.  He is not even signed yet, so I doubt he would want to come to Vancouver.  He will sign in Minnesota.  Gustavsson is having a great year for them and is only 24, so he can be their goalie of the present and of the future IMO...

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Faber is a local Minnesota boy just like Boeser.  He is not even signed yet, so I doubt he would want to come to Vancouver.  He will sign in Minnesota.  Gustavsson is having a great year for them and is only 24, so he can be their goalie of the present and of the future IMO...

A bit ironic like comment when you are trying to send Demko to LA, no.  Gustavsson doesn't have the upside of Wallstedt - just like Copley doesn't have Demko's.   Dubnyk also did well in Minnesota.  There's a difference between benefiting from a strong defensive system vs being an elite goalie.

Even if they had the cap space.  How does it make sense to invest on the wing when the Wild don't even have a legit C1 or C2.  Who is also setting Boeser up - do you expect him to do well with Freddy Gaudreau as his C.  He fell back to earth without Fiala driving the line.  Fiala was a high end play driver and made that 2nd line happen.  Have a hard time seeing Boeser able to fill that role and it even feels unfair because their salaries are not that far apart and a portion of Wild fan's are still upset with that trade.  

• Vintage 1

I think we could really use a Greenway but Minnesota can’t take the salary. 

I don’t understand why when the club finally does the right thing and sends a young kid down to develop properly we call it giving up or not being in our plans. He should have been in the AHL way earlier.  Hoglander with his game at full speed and some scoring confidence built in the AHL is better than Hoglander in and out of the lineup, not scoring goals. Plus, with the addition of Beau, how many miniature wingers can we float out there (hence the need for a Greenway).

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Minnesota:

Brock Boeser

Nils Höglander

To Vancouver:

Jordan Greenway

Jesper Wallstedt

Brock gets to go back to Minnesota and the Wild get the scorer they need.  They also get a very good prospect in Höglander who doesn't seem to be a fit in Vancouver and is not waiver eligible next year so we either need to play him or trade him.

The Canucks get a big power forward who can play up and down the lineup and would be able to play Rick Tocchet hockey.  He is not having a good year at all so his trade value is low.  We also get our future #1 Swedish goalie in Wallstedt.  Makes up for the mistake of letting Markstrom go.  Wallstedt IMO was the top goalie prospect in 2021 and is having a great year in the AHL.  I think he will be a true #1 goalie in the NHL.

Who says no?

I like the trade but  don't think Wild trade,  Wallstedt 20 --6'5 Goalie of the future..

Maybe Dumba 28 -6'0 - UFA 5.5 - 6 million. demand ????? - Lambos 6'1 - 19 -LD 26th O/A 2021 draft --

Boeser - Rathbone

Don't know if Vancouver want to lock into 4--6 year contract X 6 million,  with Duba 29 next season??

No way MIN trades Wallstedt, unless maybe Demko goes the other way

Trades I think will happen

Chychrun to LA

Schenn to BOS (for 3rd)

E. Karlsson to EDM

Boeser (% retained) to MIN (for Greenway and 3rd)

Myers (% retained) to TOR (for Holl and 4th)

Minnesota probably, as others have mentioned I highly doubt Wallstedt is on the table. They really don't have much else in the system in terms of goaltenders and Fluery will be 39 by the end of this contract. Maybe Gustavsson can be a stopgap in the meantime, maybe they gotta get someone else.

It's really just Wallstedt and Jones who might make the transition sooner than later, and Wallstedt absolutely has higher pedigree. Minnesota doesn't have a single goaltender on their reserve list either, so it's not as if there's someone else they have developing. 

They're going to be in cap hell the next two seasons, which likely gives both young tenders another year or two to develop or make the jump. They need one of these two tenders to work out, goaltending can be a tough position to fill as goaltenders are an odd bunch and their development can be a bit all over the place. Bottom line is Wallstedt is likely too important for Minnesota to give up. Trying to figure out their goaltending is more crucial to Minnesota's longer term plans than acquiring a couple wingers. 

Sending Demko back may be the only thing that shifts things, Silovs is a good prospect but he doesn't have Wallstedt's pedigree. 

Edited by Coconuts

7 hours ago, mll said:

A bit ironic like comment when you are trying to send Demko to LA, no.  Gustavsson doesn't have the upside of Wallstedt - just like Copley doesn't have Demko's.   Dubnyk also did well in Minnesota.  There's a difference between benefiting from a strong defensive system vs being an elite goalie.

Even if they had the cap space.  How does it make sense to invest on the wing when the Wild don't even have a legit C1 or C2.  Who is also setting Boeser up - do you expect him to do well with Freddy Gaudreau as his C.  He fell back to earth without Fiala driving the line.  Fiala was a high end play driver and made that 2nd line happen.  Have a hard time seeing Boeser able to fill that role and it even feels unfair because their salaries are not that far apart and a portion of Wild fan's are still upset with that trade.  

Boeser is heavily linked to Minnesota. New Jersey as well. You are saying neither team is a fit for Boeser so why all the rumours linking Boeser to these two teams?  

If Minnesota is so good defensively that they would make any goalie look good then why do they need Wallstedt?  Gustavsdon is only 24 and is 3/4 in the league in GAA and SV%. Heck he might even get some Vezina votes. 

Copley has bounced around the NHL. He’s already 31 and is an average borderline #1. He doesn’t have the pedigree of Demko and is not in the same league as Gustavsson. 

In any event, if Minnesota really wants to keep Wallstedt then I’d be totally fine in taking him out of the deal and adding Gustavsson instead. Maybe we can squeeze a 3rd or 4th round pick from Minny as well in this case. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser is heavily linked to Minnesota. New Jersey as well. You are saying neither team is a fit for Boeser so why all the rumours linking Boeser to these two teams?  

If Minnesota is so good defensively that they would make any goalie look good then why do they need Wallstedt?  Gustavsdon is only 24 and is 3/4 in the league in GAA and SV%. Heck he might even get some Vezina votes. 

Copley has bounced around the NHL. He’s already 31 and is an average borderline #1. He doesn’t have the pedigree of Demko and is not in the same league as Gustavsson. 

In any event, if Minnesota really wants to keep Wallstedt then I’d be totally fine in taking him out of the deal and adding Gustavsson instead. Maybe we can squeeze a 3rd or 4th round pick from Minny as well in this case. 

Boeser is from Minnesota.  

Friedman on his podcast says he looked into it and the Wild tell him they can't make it work cap wise. 

Russo writes:  "his $6.65 million with two years left on his deal just doesn’t work, even if the Canucks retained half and took somebody Jordan Greenway ($3 million per year the next two seasons) back. That might sound like it’s a wash, but the reality is that the Wild need to trade Greenway to shed his salary for the next two seasons to be able to re-sign other players this summer. The math doesn’t work otherwise."

Just look at CapFriendly - you can see for yourself that it doesn't work.  Can't see the Wild trading Kaprizov's BFF - Zuccarello has been excellent for the Wild and Bowness even compares their chemistry to the Sedins'.  

Guerin was also on Russo's podcast this week and again talked about how they are not at the stage of trading prospects or high draft picks.  They actually hope to add to their pool.  Sounds like they are trying to play 3rd party broker this TDL.  They've banked cap space for this year but can't add term and Boeser has term.  

Minnesota are good defensively today - will they be when their contending window opens up?  Their roster is not going to be the same when their window opens up.  Teams always try and put the best chances on their side.  They believe Wallstedt can be a high end goalie and have already reserved his NHL number.  

NJD are all in on Timo Meier per Friedman, Dreger etc.  Dreger thinks checking in on Boeser is just looking at backup plans.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Boeser is from Minnesota.  

Friedman on his podcast says he looked into it and the Wild tell him they can't make it work cap wise. 

Russo writes:  "his $6.65 million with two years left on his deal just doesn’t work, even if the Canucks retained half and took somebody Jordan Greenway ($3 million per year the next two seasons) back. That might sound like it’s a wash, but the reality is that the Wild need to trade Greenway to shed his salary for the next two seasons to be able to re-sign other players this summer. The math doesn’t work otherwise."

Just look at CapFriendly - you can see for yourself that it doesn't work.  Can't see the Wild trading Kaprizov's BFF - Zuccarello has been excellent for the Wild and Bowness even compares their chemistry to the Sedins'.  

Guerin was also on Russo's podcast this week and again talked about how they are not at the stage of trading prospects or high draft picks.  They actually hope to add to their pool.  Sounds like they are trying to play 3rd party broker this TDL.  They've banked cap space for this year but can't add term and Boeser has term.  

Minnesota are good defensively today - will they be when their contending window opens up?  Their roster is not going to be the same when their window opens up.  Teams always try and put the best chances on their side.  They believe Wallstedt can be a high end goalie and have already reserved his NHL number.  

NJD are all in on Timo Meier per Friedman, Dreger etc.  Dreger thinks checking in on Boeser is just looking at backup plans.  

The only way they are getting rid of Greenway is with a salary dump.  That's why I proposed him with this trade.  Their other option is to buy him out.  The other guy they can move is Foligno.  We could also retain on Boeser.  

I'd be fine with taking back Gustavsson as well.  He is a major upgrade on Martin and Delia and would allow us to trade Demko and have a #1 for next year.  And we could sign Jarry in the summer and go with a Jarry/Gustavsson combo.  Höglander is only 21.  I could see him flourish if given the opportunity on another team.  And Boeser is only 25 and would probably re-sign in Minnesota as a UFA, so it's also a futures trade.

To Minnesota:

Brock Boeser ($2 million retained)

Nils Höglander

To Vancouver:

Jordan Greenway

Filip Gustavsson

2024 2nd round pick

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only way they are getting rid of Greenway is with a salary dump.  That's why I proposed him with this trade.  Their other option is to buy him out.  The other guy they can move is Foligno.  We could also retain on Boeser.  

I'd be fine with taking back Gustavsson as well.  He is a major upgrade on Martin and Delia and would allow us to trade Demko and have a #1 for next year.  And we could sign Jarry in the summer and go with a Jarry/Gustavsson combo.  Höglander is only 21.  I could see him flourish if given the opportunity on another team.  And Boeser is only 25 and would probably re-sign in Minnesota as a UFA, so it's also a futures trade.

To Minnesota:

Brock Boeser ($2 million retained)

Nils Höglander

To Vancouver:

Jordan Greenway

Filip Gustavsson

2024 2nd round pick

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat...

They want to retain Gustavsson.  Gives more time for Wallstedt who is only 20 to develop.  If they trade him they need to go and find another goalie.  Fleury has a full NMC (ie he's not going anywhere) but he can't play as much anymore at his age.  They need someone that can be 1B and Gustavsson has fit in well.

Can't see them trading Foligno.  He's an important leader in their room and a key part of their shutdown line.  Being strong defensively is the reason the Wild can for now do without high end goalies but if you remove Foligno and Greenway (who is also strong defensively) then their goalies might no longer be reliable enough.  They are also making adjustments to their D-corps (can't bring Dumba back and will have to go less experienced/cheaper) so Foligno's defensive game is going to be even more important. 

On the roster there's really only Greenway and Goligoski that are likely to be moved to open up cap space.  Goligoski is a 2M cap hit with a full NMC but as he's been often a healthy scratch he'll likely accept a trade.  They'll have to replace him though and as he only makes 2M - it's not opening up that much room either.

Would think there is trade interest in Greenway.  Buffalo for example could improve their bottom-6/penalty kill and Greeway is really close with Granato.  

They really can't add a 4.6M player.  Read again what Russo wrote - even at 50% retained it wouldn't work.  They are trading Greenway because they need his 3M to sign their own players.  Boeser at 50% retained is more than Greenway's 3M.    

Edited by mll

On 2/12/2023 at 3:17 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

To Minnesota:

Brock Boeser

Nils Höglander

To Vancouver:

Jordan Greenway

Jesper Wallstedt

Who says no?

I've been thinking a lot about Boeser to Minny but, they too, are looking for some cap relief. 

It's such a tough one (As are all deals these days, it seems).

While I don't see any way of us offering relief without sending money back, Boeser would provide a much needed offensive boost to an offensively challenged Wild squad.

I'm also with those that don't think Minny would give up Wallstedt, so...

Brock Boeser and Jack Rathbone, Aiden McDonough to Minny for Jordan Greenway, Marcus Foligno, Ryan O'Rourke, their 2023 2nd, and 2024 1st (unprotected).

1. BB, JR, and JG all get re-starts.

2. MF provides more money going out for the Wild.

3. I don't trust that McDonough is committed to signing here, therefore, weaponize him.

4. We need to start trending toward a younger, more capable defense and O'Rourke will become a stallwart defender in the NHL Maybe not top pair but a solid defender, none the less.

5. I truly believe this team needs to make filling it's cupboards, top priority. The picks allow us an asset this year, and spread our first rounders over two drafts.

This deal provides them with offensive boost and nets us 2 depth players for now, a defender of a re-imagined blueline, and two picks for our future.