The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Spencer Martin, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nope, I never said that. Don't go putting that on me.

Could have easily sent Delia down though and kept Martin, could have easily taken it easy with Demko's load management and played Martin more over the remainder of the season under the guise of not wanting to reaggravate whatever injury Demko had. 

Martin hasn’t won a game since forever. You can’t keep him on the roster over Delia. Everyone knows Martin sucks right now. You don’t stick Delia on waivers if he’s earned the right to be on the roster. 

Some of this tanking stuff is just way over the top and downright silly. Blaming management as well is also silly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What difference would it make if we sent Delia down?  If Demko is ready to go he will be the starter and Delia will be playing maybe once a week. Won’t make a difference to the tank. 

Also sends a pretty bad message to the team if you are keeping the goalie with 0 wins on the roster and putting the other goalie on waivers.  

There are ways to tank properly. This is not one of them.

Demko is coming back from a serious injury. There’s no way he should be playing the majority of games.

This seasons done why would you risk re-injury in mean nothing games? Demko should be the one playing once a week or less. It’s all about next season for him now.

Whats a better way to tank than putting a bad goalie in net? I don’t see any other moves that would make a big difference like playing Martin down the stretch.

I could care less if it looks bad. Maybe if they don’t want their goalie getting lit up they could play better D? :lol:

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, DeNiro said:

Demko is coming back from a serious injury. There’s no way he should be playing the majority of games.

This seasons done why would you risk re-injury in mean nothing games? Demko should be the one playing once a week or less. It’s all about next season for him now.

Whats a better way to tank that putting a bad goalie in net? I don’t see any other moves that would make a big difference like playing Martin down the stretch.

I could care less if it looks bad. Maybe if they don’t want their goalie getting lit up they could play better D? :lol:

I think Martin will clear.  He's been playing horribly and has a second year on his current deal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Unless there is something I am missing, this seems like a dumb option if it is just to activate Demko.  Demko should be given a conditioning stint in the AHL first and then brought in just in time to get a few games in before the deadline.  We could also have demoted Delia without exposing him to waivers I believe as he was on emergency call up.

I presume they can still say Demko isn't healthy until he is done a conditioning stint so the emergency call up for Delia is still valid?

I don't see how we don't lose Martin to Ottawa.  It gives them a little breathing space to find a replacement.  We could have at least gotten a late round pick for one of our goalies you would think in their situation.

32 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Fml. Here comes the moral victory run to end the year. Expect to win 2/3rds of the remaining games. Hate life 

We have far and away the easiest schedule in the NHL the rest of the way, after having the toughest season to date.  We will win a lot of games down the stretch.

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What difference would it make if we sent Delia down?  If Demko is ready to go he will be the starter and Delia will be playing maybe once a week. Won’t make a difference to the tank. 

Also sends a pretty bad message to the team if you are keeping the goalie with 0 wins on the roster and putting the other goalie on waivers.  

There are ways to tank properly. This is not one of them.

That's the kind of decision you make when tanking though, you weaken the roster. Everyone on this roster knows the season is lost, it's no secret. It also depends on how you spin it, things can be true simultaneously. 

For example, you could send Delia down to help Silovs back Abbotsford to a playoff spot. You could send him down to bring up Silovs and give him a longer term look. There are multiple ways to go about it. 

I'm not as worried about the message as I am the results. They're big boys, they're professionals, they'll ride it out. 

I don't care about stealth tanking when other teams around us will be openly tanking.

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Easy on the reactions everyone.

There is a difference between trying to win and make the playoffs and remaining competitive whilst still losing.

Does Demko fix the D core? The atrocious PK?

Much rather have Demko back in net as long as he is %100. people seem to forget he has missed 74 days since his last start and is going to be super rusty and nowhere near peak performance. 

Demko this season 15 3 10 2 3.93 .883

Martin during January 7gp6 starts 7 0 0 30(goals against) 5.26 186 156 .839

Feb 

2 0 0 9 4.55 46 37 .804

Exactly. How is a rusty Demko going to help us win?  Even prior to his latest injury he wasn’t helping us win so there won’t be any difference when he comes back. 

There are proper ways to tank. And I think management has done a great job with the stealth tank. Shutting down Mikheyev. Trading BO for picks and prospects. Giving Myers lots of ice time. And I assume there will be additional moves at the deadline as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Unless there is something I am missing, this seems like a dumb option if it is just to activate Demko.  Demko should be given a conditioning stint in the AHL first and then brought in just in time to get a few games in before the deadline.  We could also have demoted Delia without exposing him to waivers I believe as he was on emergency call up.

I presume they can still say Demko isn't healthy until he is done a conditioning stint so the emergency call up for Delia is still valid?

I don't see how we don't lose Martin to Ottawa.  It gives them a little breathing space to find a replacement.  We could have at least gotten a late round pick for one of our goalies you would think in their situation.

I wouldn’t be too worried. GMs try to get something for every player before they make a decision on sending a player down that needs to clear. If I were a GM I wouldn’t give a thing for Martin for what he’s displayed this year, I’d be doing you a favour by claiming him and splitting the cost on his contract. 

it’s a win for us if he goes to Abby or gets picked up AHL goalie at best are easy to find these days.

Silovs being scouted perhaps? He’s a pretty decent G prospect 

Hopefully it’s just to reward him. I like it when the org does that, plus no better time than right now (even though he may be in for a rough game) 

Edited by RWJC

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Losing him on the waiver wire is the absolute best case scenario

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. How is a rusty Demko going to help us win?  Even prior to his latest injury he wasn’t helping us win so there won’t be any difference when he comes back. 

There are proper ways to tank. And I think management has done a great job with the stealth tank. Shutting down Mikheyev. Trading BO for picks and prospects. Giving Myers lots of ice time. And I assume there will be additional moves at the deadline as well. 

A rusty Demko still gives us a way better chance of winning than Martin.

I just don’t think this management group is as committed to the tank as we hoped.

Probably still trying to sell hope for next season. Gotta push those seasons tickets.

Just now, DeNiro said:

A rusty Demko still gives us a way better chance of winning than Martin.

I just don’t think this management group is as committed to the tank as we hoped.

Probably still trying to sell hope for next season. Gotta push those seasons tickets.

Demko is already noted as being not ready so likely Silovs comes up for a stint/reward.