The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Spencer Martin, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

because he's going to take starts from  Silovs who is on an absolute tear.

No... he will be there to back up Silovs and give him rest games so he is ready to compete in the playoffs and not injured from over use.

There is no requirement for Martin to start ahead of Silovs... that doesn't even make a lick of sense.

There is no AHL level back up in Abby right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think if Demmer had been healthy all season and Martin got just 1/4 or 1/5 games, he’d look much better. Didn’t seem ready to take on the full-tume starting role. I wouldn’t give up on him yet but he needs a confidence boost more than any of our players right now.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

No... he will be there to back up Silovs and give him rest games so he is ready to compete in the playoffs and not injured from over use.

There is no requirement for Martin to start ahead of Silovs... that doesn't even make a lick of sense.

There is no AHL level back up in Abby right now.

Common sense seems to have been taken away in this thread.  It's quite amazing to read some of these posts really...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would be hilarious if the reason Martin was sent down was that we are taking on Cal Peterson for a sweetener to help the Chychrun trade happen.

One of their 1st round picks and they retain 50% and I am all for it!

:D

Why are you stealing my ideas?  ^_^

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So LA might be trying to move out Cal Petersen's contract.  Spencer Martin has been put on waivers.  Hmmm...

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would be hilarious if the reason Martin was sent down was that we are taking on Cal Peterson for a sweetener to help the Chychrun trade happen.

One of their 1st round picks and they retain 50% and I am all for it!

:D

Not saying Van wouldn't take on Peterson or aren't pursuing something like this but I don't see how sending Martin down at this point indicates a move for Peterson. 

Cal is already in the AHL and if traded I don't believe he needs to go through waivers with the new team to stay in the AHL. Therefore, if Van were to trade for him they could simply send him to directly to Abby first then do the paperwork to send Martin down and bring him up if they wanted to. Although, not sure why Van would bring Peterson up for the increase in cap hit over Martin this close to the deadline. 

If this is an indication of a trade and not just moving internal pieces around, I would say it involves a goalie already in the NHL.

Well, it's mid-February, the Canucks have 0% chance of making the playoffs, that means it's every Canucks Fan's favorite time of year!!!!  Time for the #1 Goalie to go on a heater and for the boys to rally for just enough wins to get us just on the outside looking in for playoffs so we can slide into that lovely treadmill of mediocrity we are so used to.

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Highstickin said:

Not saying Van wouldn't take on Peterson or aren't pursuing something like this but I don't see how sending Martin down at this point indicates a move for Peterson. 

Cal is already in the AHL and if traded I don't believe he needs to go through waivers with the new team to stay in the AHL. Therefore, if Van were to trade for him they could simply send him to directly to Abby first then do the paperwork to send Martin down and bring him up if they wanted to. Although, not sure why Van would bring Peterson up for the increase in cap hit over Martin this close to the deadline. 

If this is an indication of a trade and not just moving internal pieces around, I would say it involves a goalie already in the NHL.

If Martin gets claimed, then we would need a goalie.  If we traded for Petersen we could just send him to Abby.  Maybe there is a 1st round pick involved or a RHD from LA to take on Petersen's contract.  We have enough cap space to take on Petersen's cap hit if he goes to Abby.  Maybe we are weaponizing the cap space we have...

4 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Well, it's mid-February, the Canucks have 0% chance of making the playoffs, that means it's every Canucks Fan's favorite time of year!!!!  Time for the #1 Goalie to go on a heater and for the boys to rally for just enough wins to get us just on the outside looking in for playoffs so we can slide into that lovely treadmill of mediocrity we are so used to.

Demko has a GAA of 3.93 and a SV% of .885 this year.  He also hasn't played in 3 months.  The only heater he is getting close to is the heat pack they are going to put on his groin after each game...

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Ya, I don’t know either unless it is something to do with the minutia of the emergency recall rules with Delia where they have to have Martin gone before they bring in another body…. Or be able to put Demko in the AHL on a conditioning stint without voiding Delia’s emergency call up.

It is too much wishful thinking anyways as it would show a creativity we haven’t seen.

Move Martin out 

Get a 1st or high end D prospect for taking on Peterson and 50% of his cap hit.  Use him as the starter until Demko is better.  Have Ian Clarke rehab his value.

Even do a trade to move out Demko…

to Ottawa:

Myers

Demko

for

Zaitsev

1st round pick or high and D prospect 

In the summer take a run at Jarry, and run with him and Peterson duo…. Or if we can’t find a goalie, just know we will suck and have Peterson and some cheap veteran guy.

Edited by Provost

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are you stealing my ideas?  ^_^

Stealing them before you can even post them!  I guess great minds must think alike…

I despair of it actually happening as it would show some actual creativity and vision.  Just an interesting connecting the dots.

• There it is 1