The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Wowza. Didn't See This Coming!

HKSR

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To CLB: $1M retention on OEL

Aidan Mcdonough

To VAN: $2M retention on OEL

Shakir Mukhamadullin or Kevin Bahl

To NJD:

OEL ($4M AAV cap hit)

$5M in cap savings for the Canucks.

NJ Devils would never do this deal?? They have Luke Hughes 6'2 -19 future # 2 D  also Nemec -18 -6'1 Future # 1 D man..

They don't need OEL--- NJ Devils could use  offensive winger but not D men,,

29 minutes ago, wildcam said:

NJ Devils would never do this deal?? They have Luke Hughes 6'2 -19 future # 2 D  also Nemec -18 -6'1 Future # 1 D man..

They don't need OEL--- NJ Devils could use  offensive winger but not D men,,

Columbus wouldn’t do this either.  4+ seasons of $1m dead cap for the rights to an unsigned college player? 

Not sure that this is legal since there is a limit of 2 retained salary transactions per player contract. Since Arizona retained in the initial deal with Van I believe Van would be the only team eligible to retain on OEL moving forward. For the proposal to happen I think the paper trail would technically be OEL ($2M retained) to CLB from Van then OEL ($1M retained) to NJD from CLB which would make three retained transactions for OEL. 

Van will not be able to use another team to broker a deal involving OEL's cap hit. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Not sure that this is legal since there is a limit of 2 retained salary transactions per player contract. Since Arizona retained in the initial deal with Van I believe Van would be the only team eligible to retain on OEL moving forward. For the proposal to happen I think the paper trail would technically be OEL ($2M retained) to CLB from Van then OEL ($1M retained) to NJD from CLB which would make three retained transactions for OEL. 

Van will not be able to use another team to broker a deal involving OEL's cap hit. 

Good call 

The Devils are probably the last team in the league who would do this. We'd need to find some rubbish team who wants to tank to off-load him on, maybe one who's committing to rebuilding the next couple of years. Chicago's got tonnes of cap space but any team will ask for a 1st straight-up for OEL. I wonder if we pass him around and split that into a 2nd + Rathbone or Hoglander?

Still not worth it, that's a lot of value to give up. My current vote is buy out OEL, take the cap penalty on the chin and just sign a UFA LD.