The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torture, abuse, and assault as part of hockey culture in junior hockey

Rate this topic

Coconuts

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Should we assume these types of things happened to every young guy who played junior hockey?  And that every player in the NHL went through this and/or inflicted it on others?

Until it is proven otherwise I think it is reasonable to assume the affirmative. Each player who has participated in or is aware of this type of behavior is complicit. Just imagine for a moment that you are so consumed with your own place on a team that you knowingly discount these activities. It is apparent everyone involved has rationalized bad behavior as normal and they are essentially saying all that matters is their selfish pursuit of a career. 

Do we really care about the integrity of the sport? Can fans play a grass-roots role to help change the culture of the game of hockey we each profess to love?

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Should we assume these types of things happened to every young guy who played junior hockey?  And that every player in the NHL went through this and/or inflicted it on others?

No. We shouldn't assume that it happened to every young player. But even if it happened to a small handful of young men, that's still far too many. These actions were heinous and unexcasable. 

Edited by Shayster007

I never really understood 'jock mentality.' And it's not so much to do with team sports or other high profile athletic disciplines. The whole hazing or initiation ceremony regarding whatever club, fraternity, brotherhood, sisterhood or whatever the f#ck; It's just utterly obtuse. I just don't get it. 

To be subject to such erroneous acts of indecency and/or depravity seems to me, to have nothing to do with supposedly, good sportsmanship within a community. If one has made the team via ones own abilities and talents, shouldn't that be enough to show that you belong? I mean........JEEZ!!!!!! How f#cked up and desperate is this! I mean on both sides. Why would a young hockey phenom need to do this type of sh#t. And why would his team mates want to be part of this?!?!?!?!??? 

I'll never know the true thought process for such, and I'm glad I never will.

Edited by Sativika