The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

kacholu

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Damn I totally jinxed us. 

I knew that Allvin was going to make a move for a young d-man, but I thought that they would wait until the summer.  

I'm really not into this move at all.  I just don't think that highly of Hronek and we paid the deadline prices.  

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I knew that Allvin was going to make a move for a young d-man, but I thought that they would wait until the summer.  

I'm really not into this move at all.  I just don't think that highly of Hronek and we paid the deadline prices.  

lol a team that's in a playoff push gives up on the player.. that's how much the detroit red wing thinks of him.. they are probably laughing so hard that we offered a 1st and a 2nd for a player they dont think all that highly of.. look at their defence right now after they got rid of hronek.. if they can afford to trade a player like that in the middle of a playoff push?? there should be some red flags.. these are not the type of move a team makes in the middle of a playoff push and not the type of move a bottom feeder should be making at TDL..

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol a team that's in a playoff push gives up on the player.. that's how much the detroit red wing thinks of him.. they are probably laughing so hard that we offered a 1st and a 2nd for a player they dont think all that highly of.. look at their defence right now after they got rid of hronek.. if they can afford to trade a player like that in the middle of a playoff push?? there should be some red flags.. these are not the type of move a team makes in the middle of a playoff push and not the type of move a bottom feeder should be making at TDL..

Or they have something else planned other than a playoff push given they're 4th last in the east and competing with 6 other teams for those last 2 spots. This is also reportedly a strong draft so I wouldn't blame Stevie Y for having all the patience in the world.

Doesn't mean they've given up on a player. It just means they were weighing options and probably liked the 1st round pick given the upcoming draft class. While other people get attached to their players and almost never trade them away, Detroit gains more and more good assets and gets more and more Seiders and Raymonds. Think about how scary that is and, if those players prove good early on enough, they'll be with a low cap hit.

So I think Hronek was just not considered part of the core because of the cap and I could see there being a timing of contracts that's required in order to create a contender.

I actually kind of wish we acquired picks during strong draft classes and traded away picks during weak draft classes. To me, that would build out a team in a more sensical way. I question the trade based on that. I don't question the trade based on Hronek. I think Hronek will likely be a good player for us.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Or they have something else planned other than a playoff push given they're 4th last in the east and competing with 6 other teams for those last 2 spots. This is also reportedly a strong draft so I wouldn't blame Stevie Y for having all the patience in the world.

Doesn't mean they've given up on a player. It just means they were weighing options and probably liked the 1st round pick given the upcoming draft class. While other people get attached to their players and almost never trade them away, Detroit gains more and more good assets and gets more and more Seiders and Raymonds. Think about how scary that is and, if those players prove good early on enough, they'll be with a low cap hit.

So I think Hronek was just not considered part of the core because of the cap and I could see there being a timing of contracts that's required in order to create a contender.

I actually kind of wish we acquired picks during strong draft classes and traded away picks during weak draft classes. To me, that would build out a team in a more sensical way. I question the trade based on that. I don't question the trade based on Hronek. I think Hronek will likely be a good player for us.

They had no rush to move hronek.. if the Canucks are all in on an injured player like that now.. they will gladly pay that after the end of this season before the draft or at the draft.. he still got a year left so there was absolutely no need for Detroit to make that trade now if they felt strongly about the player. Obviously they don’t 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

They had no rush to move hronek.. if the Canucks are all in on an injured player like that now.. they will gladly pay that after the end of this season before the draft or at the draft.. he still got a year left so there was absolutely no need for Detroit to make that trade now if they felt strongly about the player. Obviously they don’t 

Of course, but when an offer comes like what we gave, does that mean you sit on Hronek? While there's no rush, the whole purpose of there being no rush is so that you can hopefully wait for an opportunity to come like the trade that happened. If you wait it out too long you get less value because your situation becomes more desperate.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Maybe Detroit knows something more about him than we do.............................????????