The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

kacholu

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Chia says hi. 

The fact that those 2 combined to build one of if not the best team of the last decade plus boggles

Yep. Benning was the assistant but he wasn't as bad as Chiarelli. Thats the thing. Everyone thinks the world is a meritocracy. When really, two complete idiots can put a stanley cup winning team together like monkeys on typewriters can write shakespear 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

I hope he gets a job so  we can fleece him when we sell him bad contracts. Take all the picks he wants to throw away for”age gap” “foundational”  blab blah blah 

all pending nhl  ufas hope he gets a job to so the Jb lottery will be back on especially for vetran 4th liners.

also I miss the interviews he always made me laugh with the stupid garbage he’d try to sell and the excuses oh man the excuses…

he ranks right next to keenan as garbage Gms in franchise history. 

Edited by combover

As you may have noticed it's incredibly hard to get a top pair dman. 

OEL trade was a trade where he hoped he would be able to return to his former self . A gamble that failed and in part the sedins should be blamed for that as well. I can imagine a scenario where OEL was in communication with the twins and claimed his decline was due to his situation. Being on the Canucks he'd return to his all star ways and we would have a true #1 dman for once. 

Like I said, failed experiment.

It should be clear now we need to draft dmen asap.

For me though, I did not see an OEL trade or a giving up of a 9 overall. All I saw was a dumping of loui Ericsson. 

And for that I will be eternally grateful. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

As you may have noticed it's incredibly hard to get a top pair dman. 

OEL trade was a trade where he hoped he would be able to return to his former self . A gamble that failed and in part the sedins should be blamed for that as well. I can imagine a scenario where OEL was in communication with the twins and claimed his decline was due to his situation. Being on the Canucks he'd return to his all star ways and we would have a true #1 dman for once. 

Like I said, failed experiment.

It should be clear now we need to draft dmen asap.

For me though, I did not see an OEL trade or a giving up of a 9 overall. All I saw was a dumping of loui Ericsson. 

And for that I will be eternally grateful. 

The OEL trade was not just a gamble it was like putting an advanced pay cheque on 21 at the roulette table and hoping to cash in. 

Feel free to be happy we moved Loui but the realty is that we traded one year of Loui for 7 years of OEL at an even higher cap hit. Benning knew this team was cap strapped due to poor contracts but instead of riding them out 1 more year to gain freedom, he made a trade that put us right back into cap trouble for years to come. On top of that, we moved out a #9 OA pick and a second rounder in years where our prospect pool was dry. 

This trade was a desperate move by a GM trying to keep his job via a gamble that will now hurt us for years. It was short sighted, and can only be defended by saying he felt the team was on the edge of winning it all. I would argue this team was no where close to competing and therefore did not need to bring in an aging D-man on a brutal contract that was a career -109 prior to coming to Van with only 25 games of playoff experience over 11 seasons. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:01 PM, hammertime said:

Chia says hi. 

The fact that those 2 combined to build one of if not the best team of the last decade plus boggles

Benning proved with the Canucks he wasn’t the mastermind in Boston.

Gillis on the other hand were more of a mastermind and is treated like he was as dumb as Benning. 
That is really interesting. 
When something illogic happens you should ask yourself why…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

2F68BB6C-91F3-4EA2-BE30-C7418075EA68.jpeg

I'm not going to start another Benning thread,

But I think the reason this keeps getting re-beaten in new OPs is that its just dawning on more and more CDCers just how monumentally Benning screwed the team (and loyal fans by extension).   The repercussions are developing all the time.  On one hand OEL is crashing spectacularly, while on the other the possible pick we could have had in Guenther is looking like a very good prospect.  Not to mention who was picked in the second round spot traded to Minnesota, Hunter Haight has 30 points in 26 games for the Saginaw Spirit of the OHL as an 18 year old.

We gave up those potential prospects, just what this organization desperately needs, for one year of cap relief from 3 other terrible signings by Benning, which all amounted to just ONE year cap relief eaten up by Garland's and OELs salary combined.  JB got Arizona out of their cap hell with OEL, gave them two good draft picks plus a seventh for good measure, and put our own team in cap hell with OEL for 5 more years instead.  Brilliant. Benning truly was at a level of gluing macaroni to paper.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

2F68BB6C-91F3-4EA2-BE30-C7418075EA68.jpeg

I'm actually starting to hate this notion of "beating a dead horse".

I get why people are tired of if, but of course topics are going to resurface again and again and again. It's hockey. It's a limited scope. If this didn't happen, we'd hardly have anything to talk about.

If you're tired of this topic, you'd best be ready to just avoid the numerous other topics like this that will inevitably come back each year. ;)

Anyway I shall end my rant.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 3

Instead of beating this dead horse called Jim Benning we can look at our present leadership GM and crew. Rutherford said if anyone had any ideas that would make this Team better come forward  . 

Lets start, now the trades will be for prospects and draft picks or young players like Kirby Dach for a Boeser and a first ,Miller for a first and a D prospect

2021 - 22

• Sign Horvat 
  • Trade Miller at the deadline 
  • Trade Boeser 
  • Trade Garland
  • Sign Jann Rutta
  • Sign Paul Stastny
  • Sign Sam Steel
  • Sign  Olli Maatta
  • Sign Andrew Copp

This fixes first year where they really screwed up this would have made us very competitive 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Instead of beating this dead horse called Jim Benning we can look at our present leadership GM and crew. Rutherford said if anyone had any ideas that would make this Team better come forward  . 

Lets start, now the trades will be for prospects and draft picks or young players like Kirby Dach for a Boeser and a first ,Miller for a first and a D prospect

2021 - 22

• Sign Horvat 
  • Trade Miller at the deadline 
  • Trade Boeser 
  • Trade Garland
  • Sign Jann Rutta
  • Sign Paul Stastny
  • Sign Sam Steel
  • Sign  Olli Maatta
  • Sign Andrew Copp

This fixes first year where they really screwed up this would have made us very competitive 

Too bad Benning screwed it up badly then…

On 2/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, kilgore said:

We gave up those potential prospects, just what this organization desperately needs, for one year of cap relief from 3 other terrible signings by Benning, which all amounted to just ONE year cap relief eaten up by Garland's and OELs salary combined.  JB got Arizona out of their cap hell with OEL, gave them two good draft picks plus a seventh for good measure, and put our own team in cap hell with OEL for 5 more years instead.  Brilliant. Benning truly was at a level of gluing macaroni to paper.

To even make it more baffling was signing Garland and Sutter before Pettersson and Hughes then whining there was no cap space.

Why did an RFA part time NHLer earning the league minimum get preference?

The story line some media are trying to promote is that is why Pettersson only signed for three years. Although I can't see what term had to do with how much, which was because of those other preferences.

AND how does Garland get a 5 year contract at 5 mil a year as an RFA and making 775 K?

Just about anything he did was beyond comprehension, 3 mil for Pearson that early then no cap space for any others?

Just letting every or just about every FA walk away for nothing?

What "hockey" trades? A first round selection with less than a full year dealt for another, at the time, part time dman with no pedigree, a reasonably priced center for an often injured 3rd line center?

His best trade is somewhat questionable too, a capped out team. At a time when capped out teams are adding in sweeteners to make cap space Benning gives up a first plus allowing them to have a valuable trade asset and win a cup. The Canucks gained a whopping 9 points in the standings for that gem.

Then there is giving a divisional competitor cap space by taking what they offered for a pick, on paper not bad but a careful look would discover that the player's stats were a product of the teams he played on, but hey, he allowed them to sign a STUD dman helping them out.

He fired every front office guy that had a thought.

Signed a player that doctors refused to clear for play, bad enough but give him a 4 year 3.5 mil uninsurable contract with a NMC, just so some fans that hate Aqullini understand that even though that contract came off the cap the owner supported the team and had to pay every dime of that contract. Most LTIR's are insured. So Benning screwed him too.

BTW he IS the WORST GM in NHL history for such a short term or 7 year period. In every stat.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

We had 3 pretty bad off-seasons in a row. 2 are on Benning, 1 is on JR/PA.

Team showed they were starting to get close, went on a fun bubble run. We let all of our depth go.

I don't have an issue with letting Markstrom and Tanev go, but Toffoli over Jake should have been an easy decision even without hindsight (Jake showed up to the bubble out of shape and got scratched the first game...). We also should have tendered Stecher an offer as that was a large blow to our depth.

Team showed they still have a potentially bright future but still aren't quite there. Don't make win now moves, ride out the last year of LE, Beagle, and Roussel and gain 12M cap space next summer.

Also, rather than signing Poolman and re-signing Hamonic we should have gone after McCabe to replace Schmidt and Forbort to stabilize the left side/replace Edler. 

2022 (including trade deadline)

The team is clearly not ready and has taken a step back. Miller no longer fits the timeline. Capitalize on his career year for a big return at trade deadline plus trade Boeser at the deadline for a 2nd.

Re-sign Horvat in the summer for 6.75-7x7 (he almost certainly would have accepted). Trade Rathbone + 2nd for Marino (we could have easily beaten NJ's offer). Still bring in Kuzmenko + Mikheyev. 

Suddenly, this is how the team looks:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko 

Garland - Horvat - Toffoli 

Podkolzin - Chytil - Hoglander 

Joshua - Lazar - Aman/Lockwood

Pearson somewhere if healthy

Hughes - Marino

McCabe - Myers

Forbort - Schenn

Lundkvist 

Stecher/Burroughs

+cap space

Obviously some of these moves would have negated others but I would pick this roster over our current one, especially the defense.

Edit: Temporarily forgot Garland was part of OEL trade. Remove him from the lineup. 

Edited by Diamonds