The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning

Rate this topic

kacholu

I highly doubt he ever gets a other head GM job. He had a long run here, he was given a fair shake. The team he left was not a playoff contender, capped out, with a bottom 5 prospect pool. It's hard to see many bright lights in he tenure past a few good draft picks.

Could he become a head of a scouting departments somewhere, MAYBE an assistant.. but couldn't see a world he gets another shot based off his track record.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I highly doubt he ever gets a other head GM job. He had a long run here, he was given a fair shake. The team he left was not a playoff contender, capped out, with a bottom 5 prospect pool. It's hard to see many bright lights in he tenure past a few good draft picks.

Could he become a head of a scouting departments somewhere, MAYBE an assistant.. but couldn't see a world he gets another shot based off his track record.

Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, McCann, Virtanen, Hoglander and Podz in the minors. You happy now? Your prospect pool doesnt look like sh*t but your NHL team is absolute wet dog sh*t

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Pardon me? What are you even trying to express here?

You are complaining about a prospect pool that was empty the day he walked in. He spent the majority of his drafting, FILLING an NHL team. Where in the hell do you expect him to fill an NHL team AND the minors with 55 picks, 7 years time and zero valuable assets to gain more picks when he started. He got what he could for Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows and they barely lasted 2 years after being traded. He had nothing of actual value to really fast forward anything as well as NMC and NTCs to work around. Be happy we have the players we do and not just some “potentials” in the AHL.

Edited by AnthonyG

Just now, AnthonyG said:

You are complaining about a prospect pool that was empty the day he walked in. He spent the majority of his drafting, FILLING and NHL team. Where in the hell do you expect him to fill an NHL team AND the minors with 55 picks, 7 years time and zero valuable assets to gain more picks when he started. He got what he could for Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows and they barely lasted 2 years after being traded. He had nothing of actual value to really fast forward anything as well as NMC and NTCs to work around. Be happy we have the players we do and not just some “potentials” in the AHL.

I expect him to achieve in his nearly decade long tenure at least one thing. He failed to achieve a competitive team. He failed to produce a team that had high potential in the future. He failed to manage the cap. He failed to manage the franchise successfully from a interpersonal standpoint.

Bennings time here was an absolute failure.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I’ve seen first hand what posters here trying to smear JR and PA for when they have done what they talked about and has limits on cap expenses.

So what is truth about the bad things I hear about Gillis?

Gillis was an interesting situation to say the least. I know you might not have been around during that time so I'll give a brief summary.

He seemed to make good moves to solidify the core that Nonis and Burke has create prior to him being GM which caused the team to win numerous presidents trophies and be a contender for a while. Arguably, a lot of the moves he did were never really hockey trades. They were more to do with managing the cap or taking advantage of another team's cap situation. A good example of this would be when he acquired Erhoff for next to nothing since San Jose wanted that cap off their books so they could acquire another player (I think it was Heatley they wanted).

However, after our SCF run in 2011, he seemed to change. None of his draft picks were really working out by that point. The closest was Hodgson whom he traded the next year. We started losing in the 1st round in subsequent playoffs with an aging core, of which he did almost nothing about.

He then had also mismanaged Luongo and Schneider, basically we had 2 starter goaltenders. If I remember correctly (and anyone can feel free to correct me) Luongo was under the impression he was getting traded; however, it was Schneider who ended up being traded for the pick that would be Horvat. However, due to hiring Torts as the coach the following year, Luongo was not having a good time and eventually Luongo was also traded, leaving us with neither of our starting goaltenders. I should also mention that Gillis was the one who had previously signed Luogno to a massively long contract that only RECENTLY got off the books.

Eventually, during Torts' time here, things were so bad that crowds started to chant at games to "fire Gillis" and Gillis actually said on air that the fans were either "with him or against him": something that angered a lot of people. Gillis seemed to have completely snapped.

It should be noted that Gillis was never really a "hockey guy". He was a professor at Harvard who had his own ideas on how to run things. I think it speaks volumes the fact that he hasn't really been heard of much around the league since. He's just not the guy some people here praise him to be. He just happened to be the GM when we had a winning record feeding off what previous GMs had done. He wasn't some genius. I think almost any GM who was hired when he was hired would have likely also have become the most "winningest GM in Canucks history".

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I expect him to achieve in his nearly decade long tenure at least one thing. He failed to achieve a competitive team. He failed to produce a team that had high potential in the future. He failed to manage the cap. He failed to manage the franchise successfully from a interpersonal standpoint.

Bennings time here was an absolute failure.

Do you have any concept of physical maturity? Time? How many players you can draft per draft and how little assets there were to increase our amount of qUaLiTy draft picks? 7 years 55 picks and 10/55 have played over 100 games.TEN OF FIFTY FIVE PLAYERS DRAFTED have played over 100 games. Get your head out of your @$$ that is an insanely high number for not having an Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid and top picks of each round. 

Oilers have 9 guys to play 100+ games. 3/9 are top 4 picks. Only a possible playoff team because they are being carried

Toronto 9 guys to play 100+ games - if this season is another 1st round exit, say goodbye to playoffs for the next decade.

Buffalo 10 guys to play 100+ games. 3/10 are A 1O, 2 2OA. Still not a playoff team or contender. 

NJD 11 guys to play 100+ games. How many 1oa? 2. LOL you have no patience for 7 years and having his hands tied and his empty hands offering nothing to try and acquire extra 1st round picks… NEW JERSEY HAS MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 10 OF THE LAST 11 SEASONS. With far more draft capital, yet only ONE more NHL player. 

One thing Benning did achieve was drafting our f***ing core who will take a few years to develop physically, adapt to the NHL and become true professionals. Something you have ZERO concept of. Not only that he is part of the reason we have our AHL team in Abbotsford.

• RoughGame 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Gillis was an interesting situation to say the least. I know you might not have been around during that time so I'll give a brief summary.

He seemed to make good moves to solidify the core that Nonis and Burke has create prior to him being GM which caused the team to win numerous presidents trophies and be a contender for a while. Arguably, a lot of the moves he did were never really hockey trades. They were more to do with managing the cap or taking advantage of another team's cap situation. A good example of this would be when he acquired Erhoff for next to nothing since San Jose wanted that cap off their books so they could acquire another player (I think it was Heatley they wanted).

However, after our SCF run in 2011, he seemed to change. None of his draft picks were really working out by that point. The closest was Hodgson whom he traded the next year. We started losing in the 1st round in subsequent playoffs with an aging core, of which he did almost nothing about.

He then had also mismanaged Luongo and Schneider, basically we had 2 starter goaltenders. If I remember correctly (and anyone can feel free to correct me) Luongo was under the impression he was getting traded; however, it was Schneider who ended up being traded for the pick that would be Horvat. However, due to hiring Torts as the coach the following year, Luongo was not having a good time and eventually Luongo was also traded, leaving us with neither of our starting goaltenders. I should also mention that Gillis was the one who had previously signed Luogno to a massively long contract that only RECENTLY got off the books.

Eventually, during Torts' time here, things were so bad that crowds started to chant at games to "fire Gillis" and Gillis actually said on air that the fans were either with him or we not: something that angered a lot of people. Gillis seemed to have completely snapped.

It should be noted that Gillis was never really a "hockey guy". He was a professor at Harvard who had his own ideas on how to run things. I think it speaks volumes the fact that he hasn't really been heard of much around the league since. He's just not the guy some people here praise him to be. He just happened to be the GM when we had a winning record feeding off what previous GMs had done.

Gillis was an ex NHL player and then an agent. He is a very smart guy. He spoke out publicly against his owner. That’s why he will never get another NHL job. He can’t be trusted to keep the ol’ boys’ club safe. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Gillis was an ex NHL player and then an agent. He is a very smart guy. He spoke out publicly against his owner. That’s why he will never get another NHL job. He can’t be trusted to keep the ol’ boys’ club safe. 

You ignored most of my post which really states why what you are saying is not the case.

I get it though, you're biased.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Do you have any concept of physical maturity? Time? How many players you can draft per draft and how little assets there were to increase our amount of qUaLiTy draft picks? 7 years 55 picks and 10/55 have played over 100 games.TEN OF FIFTY FIVE PLAYERS DRAFTED have played over 100 games. Get your head out of your @$$ that is an insanely high number for not having an Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid and top picks of each round. 

Oilers have 9 guys to play 100+ games. 3/9 are top 4 picks. Only a possible playoff team because they are being carried

Toronto 9 guys to play 100+ games - if this season is another 1st round exit, say goodbye to playoffs for the next decade.

Buffalo 10 guys to play 100+ games. 3/10 are A 1O, 2 2OA. Still not a playoff team or contender. 

NJD 11 guys to play 100+ games. How many 1oa? 2. LOL you have no patience for 7 years and having his hands tied and his empty hands offering nothing to try and acquire extra 1st round picks… NEW JERSEY HAS MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 10 OF THE LAST 11 SEASONS. With far more draft capital, yet only ONE more NHL player. 

One thing Benning did achieve was drafting our f***ing core who will take a few years to develop physically, adapt to the NHL and become true professionals. Something you have ZERO concept of. Not only that he is part of the reason we have our AHL team in Abbotsford.

Get my head out of my ass? Grow up Anthony. Zero need to start acting like a child because someone disagrees with you. 

I think you're wrong, it's as simple as that.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You ignored most of my post which really states why what you are saying is not the case.

I get it though, you're biased.

Facts. Gillis was both POHO and GM during our most successful era. Benning was GM during our worst. 

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know why they would have fired Gillis after the entire GM Place erupted saying "Fire Gillis!" :rolleyes:

But, you know... let's just ignore that, the mishandling of Luongo and Schneider, and basically everything that led to his firing, and let's just call him the most successful GM ever because we all apparently love whip cream on a turd!

Nonis: now that's who made the majority of the core of that successful team. Gillis might have helped for a while, but not after 2011. The guy had a major meltdown after that SCF run. If Gillis is our "most successful GM ever", it just goes to show how bad our history has been.

There's NO ONE that has achieved the success that Gillis had. If and when some one does then I'll give them the respect they deserve. As  to fire Gillis it show the intellect of the avaerage fans more than any thing. It's like the huge dislike for Edler promoted by so many, stupid is the best I can think of. We replaced him with OEL and more than double the cost, that's not smart that's just stupid. So many fans IMHO are like sheep. 

• There it is 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

There's NO ONE that has achieved the success that Gillis had. If and when some one does then I'll give them the respect they deserve. As  to fire Gillis it show the intellect of the avaerage fans more than any thing. It's like the huge dislike for Edler promoted by so many, stupid is the best I can think of. We replaced him with OEL and more than double the cost, that's not smart that's just stupid. So many fans IMHO are like sheep. 

Except, put almost any GM in at the time of when Gillis was GM here. We'd likely be saying the same thing about that GM as well being the most "winningest GM in Canucks history". That core was created by Nonis and Burke. And while Gillis did a good job at filling in the holes, I wonder..

What would have happened had we had a GM that made hockey trades?

What would have happened had we had a GM that wasn't so attached to the core that we could have had a good team after 2011?

That whole Edler being promoted, you know why that was the case? Because Gillis literally asked in the annual meeting with the fans why Edler couldn't become the next Lidstrom. He right then and told fans "what could happen" and fans are going to interpret that as "what to expect".

It's funny you know. I think with every GM we've had since you were around, you've critiqued, including Gillis. If you are going to refer to fans as sheep well you'd best stop hiding that wool you have on.

14 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Record wise, yes he was our best GM.  But he didn't build the team.  It's not just the fans that doubted his abilities, it seems it's also all the other NHL owners, since he hasn't had another GM job since, which seems a little odd, if he was this great GM.  So is it really just the fans?

No, Gillis moved to academia, teaching Law at U Vic. This man was no ones fool, only the fans that thought they new better. A gifted hockey player, agent, Prof of Law and  currently worrking for the NHLPA. I refuse to list all his accomplishment they're too many but seemingly beyond the grasp of detractors. 

• There it is 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

No, Gillis moved to academia, teaching Law at U Vic. This man was no ones fool, only the fans that thought they new better. A gifted hockey player, agent, Prof of Law and  currently worrking for the NHLPA. I refuse to list all his accomplishment they're too many but seemingly beyond the grasp of detractors. 

I don't doubt the guy is smart. I just think you're being a little biased about this and not really looking at the big picture of what they team was when Gillis got the job here as well as how he handled things after the SCF.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

image.gif.c1ecb4411c6a8bc7bcb08d2ba18b9a64.gif

It's a question. What does someone being both President and GM have to do with whether someone's good at being a GM?

Are you going to answer? Do you even have an answer?

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

I don't doubt the guy is smart. I just think you're being a little biased about this and not really looking at the big picture of what they team was when Gillis got the job here as well as how he handled things after the SCF.

You're aware ( I assume of the many additions hemade to the roster in cluding adding some muscle for the play-offs ) so If you're unwwillingto accept the likes of Erhoff and the huge role he played sorry to say but that's on you

• Like 1