The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wednesday February 15 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

31 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wow,

I didn't expect that. I thought he was called up just to be a backup placeholder until Demko was ready to go.

Thus giving Martin a chance to get some AHL work in.

14 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That Irbe setup is just so goddamn elite! He's one of my favourite stories in the NHL ever. Backstopping Carolina to the finals in '02 has to be his career highlight. He was also an Allstar...

spacer.png

Irbe was a very good goalie.  Little guy too...was kind of like Richard Brodeur or John Garrett.  All of them 5'8 or smaller.  And Irbe was an absolute workhorse.  As good as Luongo, Martin Brodeur or Grant Fuhr in that regard.  He played 74, 76 and 77 games in a season and led the league all three times.

Letting Irbe go was the biggest mistake in terms of the goalie graveyard.  He received Vezina votes in each of the next three seasons for Carolina.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Contrary to some views on here; I don't think Demko is on the block at all. I think this is more to do with evaluating Silovs against a pretty good NHL team and also as a reward for his solid play in Abby.

He no longer has his added signing bonus to pad his salary and only makes 70K in the minors. Getting a boost in wages for his time spent with the big club is a nice added benefit too.

I honestly didn't think Demko was on the block either, and I hope he isn't. Just seems strange that they're starting Silovs, but it very well could just to be see where he's at when it comes to NHL ready, for a back up roll next year.

They could've just called Silovs up to sit on the bench for a couple of days and still got that boost in pay and time with the big club. Just shocking to me that he's starting.

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That Irbe setup is just so goddamn elite! He's one of my favourite stories in the NHL ever. Backstopping Carolina to the finals in '02 has to be his career highlight. He was also an Allstar...

spacer.png

I still remember when Irbe was a Canuck he had a winning record in one of the most dismal eras of Canuck history while this team was considered a goalie graveyard.

I loved watching him play but madman Keenan seemed to want to avoid starting him and was always trying to find someone better.

image.png.231d20434702ad5a14e7b916d4193976.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I still remember when Irbe was a Canuck he had a winning record in one of the most dismal eras of Canuck history while this team was considered a goalie graveyard.

I loved watching him play but madman Keenan seemed to want to avoid starting him and was always trying to find someone better.

image.png.231d20434702ad5a14e7b916d4193976.png

Yeah for decades the only two Canuck goalies with career winning records were Charlie Hodge and John Garrett, both of them playing during extreme losing eras in Canuck history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Today's tank spin.

image.png.4f4f4fc24fa0cf494afe4b3c0fed45d3.png

I'd be totally happy with this. There will be multiple great options if we can stay around this spot.

I would NOT be happy with Anaheim getting Bedard, if the Canucks do NOT get him then I want a team in the eastern conference to get him so we only play him twice a year

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Good chance if the pick is between 9-12 they’ll end up giving it to us anyway. 

Why...NYI likely build off the addition of Horvat and likely make playoffs next year, so giving the 2024 1st would be much more likely then them saying here Vancouver take a top 10 pick in 2023 instead even though we put in conditions regarding the pick. I just do NOT see that happening...

8 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

I don't like the plan to put Silovs in net behind this team defense. He's doing good, getting lit up by the Rangers could damage his confidence.  This is an unnecessary risk to take.

Yes, most elite athletes will be mentally broken if one game does not go well. RISK.

/sarcasm.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

I don't like the plan to put Silovs in net behind this team defense. He's doing good, getting lit up by the Rangers could damage his confidence.  This is an unnecessary risk to take.

Is bringing him up to sit on the bench and not even give him a chance to see where his game is at any better for his confidence? Your basically telling him, we don't think your going to do well so just enjoy the perks of being on the NHL bench and practicing with the team. 

I get what your saying about how the team is playing defensively but if one poor game in the NHL ruins a prospect than he likely was never going to make it. Since were speculating, what if Silovs has been begging for his chance at the NHL all season and this is managements way of showing him where his progression is? What if the Rags do light him up and it actually motivates him more to work on his details? 

Without knowing the athlete and the plan from management I don't think any of us can call this an unnecessary risk. Let the kid play, and support the hell out of him no matter the outcome of one game. 

They should keep showcasing BB6, Garland and Schenn until they're traded.  This week is "THE" key showcase week.   Hopefully they can sneak in a Miller trade at the same time before his NTC kicks in after this season and we're stuck with him until the next decade of the 2030's   Fingers crossed this mgmt group can finish the job they started when they got rid of Horvat.

At one point, I believe Raty was ranked #1 (2021 Draft), but over time, he dropped down the rankings and at the Draft got selected in the 2nd Round (#52) I would consider Raty a 2nd Round gem and with proper development, he's going to be a very good player. 

What were the knocks on Raty?

Really excited for the bounty on Draft Day, Canucks could walk away with:

1a - Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Smith, Benson or Moore

1b - Barlow or Dvorsky (could these guys drop to 12-15?)  

2 - Reinbacher, Willander, Dragicevic, Bonk