The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks chances to make playoffs finally hits ZERO 0.00% - All but technically FINISHED for the season.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I am assuming this award is just not based on drafting and trading but also overall management of a team. Stuff like sleep doctors and his push for analytics attributed to him winning that award I think. 

There was a lot of praise of how innovative Gillis was when he was the GM to the point that free agents would want to join the team at a discount. 

Gillis was very creative but his (lack of) creativity on draft day tarnished his legacy, as the Canucks GM & PoHO.  Perhaps in an alternative universe, he could had remained as PoHO and hired JB (or someone else) as his GM, instead of one person having dual roles and dealing with Francesco directly ?   Anyways, looking at the yearly results since the 2011 finals and based on points percentage the Canucks has been stuck in the middle - but the endeavor to chase the middle, continues to be very profitable for Francesco.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Gillis was very creative but his creativity on draft day tarnished his legacy as the Canucks GM & PoHO.  Perhaps he could had remained as PoHO and hired JB as his GM ?   Instead of one person having dual roles and dealing with Francesco directly.  

I think Gillis admitted his mistake that he didn't overhaul the scouting department he took over from Nonis. So yes there's something to that. Having said that I assume the way he ran the everyday operations especially in team nutrition and finding ways to maximize output more than made up his poor drafting (at least in the eyes of the voters). 

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think Gillis admitted his mistake that he didn't overhaul the scouting department he took over from Nonis. So yes there's something to that. Having said that I assume the way he ran the everyday operations especially in team nutrition and finding ways to maximize output more than made up his poor drafting (at least in the eyes of the voters). 

Gillis has earned his reputation as Canucks GM.  I remember an interview he made, in which he acknowledge that he was experimenting in drafting players that are older, with the assumption that they are closer to the NHL: Mallet in the 2nd round; and with hindsight it seems he undervalued the importance of drafting & development in building up a roster and preferred the more splashy & expensive route of roster building through trades & FA.  Imo, he was the GM of a team that someone else had build up (very much like JR in Pitsburgh) and he gave JB, a roster that was on the decline with a VERY shallow prospect pool.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Gillis was very creative but his (lack of) creativity on draft day tarnished his legacy, as the Canucks GM & PoHO.  Perhaps in an alternative universe, he could had remained as PoHO and hired JB (or someone else) as his GM, instead of one person having dual roles and dealing with Francesco directly ?   Anyways, looking at the yearly results since the 2011 finals and based on points percentage the Canucks has been stuck in the middle - but the endeavor to chase the middle, continues to be very profitable for Francesco.  

When will folks stop judging a GM due to drafting? 
The GM got scouts doing that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

when your team is doing well in the standings for many years like the gillis era was.. chances are your prospect pool is going to be weak.. is anyone complaining about julian briesbois prospect pool?? tampa bay in their last 9 years worth of draft.. really hit a jackpot on brayden point.. thats about it.. well cirelli too i guess.. outside of that.. they have literally got nothing worth getting excited about.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

For the first time ever, I'm actually happy they are losing.

And please no sudden turn of pace, and winning runs, as we are getting closer and closer to a pick of real value.... Keep on losing boys.

oh you know it's happening 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Not even that much.

I would say max 5% If it’s more they neglect all other aspects of being the top dog in an organisation.

Nah.....

At this stage improving the organisation is everything, and drafting is a big part of this. They may choose to trade their draft picks, but if not its all that matters now.

Edited by spook007

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes unfortunately... Its as sure as dropping draft position during the lottery... :(

That last 6 games in that Matthews draft year 

4-2 in the last 6 including beating all 3 California teams (where Canucks would get destroyed that season) if Vancouver didn't win those games Canucks would have been last overall 

• Cheers 2

Just now, iinatcc said:

That last 6 games in that Matthews draft year 

4-2 in the last 6 including beating all 3 California teams (where Canucks would get destroyed that season) if Vancouver didn't win those games Canucks would have been last overall 

Yes I remember with anger, how they suddenly looked like a SC contender at the end off the season.

Also remember Crawford hoping Canucks would drop to the bottom and draft Matthews, whom he knew from Switzerland.... But a last swan song for the Sedins scuppered that idea... and left us with OJ instead... It could hardly have gone much worse...

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

56 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nah.....

At this stage improving the organisation is everything, and drafting is a big part of this. They may choose to trade their draft picks, but if not its all that matters now.

Nahh, if the GM trust his scouts he just have to accept the pick and tge GM can concentrate on everything else.

Is it only 0.001 percent now?

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

For the first time ever, I'm actually happy they are losing.

And please no sudden turn of pace, and winning runs, as we are getting closer and closer to a pick of real value.... Keep on losing boys.

I like how we are losing too.   Still scoring goals.    Goaltending alone probably puts us closer to the mushy middle.   Demko.   Hope they don't rush him.   And barely play him.   But when he does we win more then lose.  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can't have it both ways. You can't give the excuse that drafting is 10-20% of a GM's job, then blame another GM for terrible choices at the draft.

which GM are you referring to?

If you mean Benning I always thought he was better record at drafting than Gillis. 

The problem was Benning was that he was worse in everything else. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Vintage 1