The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Erik Karlsson to Edmonton

It seems like the impossible man to move, especially within their own division and with that monster cap hit, but Karlsson would be so fun to watch playing with McDavid and the Oilers and it'd be nice to see Edmonton destroy their team for a chance to go deep and win now. Sacrifice all defence and just try and outscore every team, and with Draisaitl, McDavid and Karlsson all on the ice at the same time, you'd like their chances.

Edmonton have around 1.9M in cap space at the deadline thanks to LTIR. Karlsson is obviously on a 11.5M cap hit for the next 5 years, isn't getting younger, but is probably going to win a Norris this year.

TO EDM: Erik Karlsson (2M retained)

TO SJS: Puljujarvi + Tyson Barrie + 1st + 2nd round picks

SJS could retain a bit more but that'd just squeeze in cap-wise, and in the off-season they'll have to off-load some contracts. Poolparty is an obvious cap dump but short-term, Barrie has kind of fallen out of favour in Edmonton so this is basically a trade to upgrade Barrie into Karlsson. Sure, SJS retain a tiny bit but they take those picks and run, for such a bad team they lack high-end picks in the next few drafts. 

• Like 1

The trade everyone is asking for is, as you said, impossible.  Oilers can't make this trade the way you framed it.  They have completely over the cap with Yamamoto coming back up.  They are so strapped for cash that they'll likely be forced to put Puljujarvi on waivers just to make space.  As Tallon said, they are "dollar in, dollar out" right now.  If they acquire Karlsson at $9.5M, they need to dump 9.5M in return.  Your proposal has the Oilers giving up only $7.5M.

I also don't know where you got the impression that Barrie has fallen out of favour in Edmonton.  He has performed exactly as promised - pure offense.

Honestly, there's just no way this pipe dream trade can happen, despite the media hype.  Oilers will try to dump as much cap as possible (maybe add Foegele to your Barrie/Puljujarvi proposal), and ask SJ to retain at least $3M.  Sharks wouldn't want that because it's just a bunch of scraps that don't really help with the rebuild, along with retaining a ton of money against a division rival.  The Sharks are also still paying Burns and Jones for a few more years, so keep that in mind.  They are going to want to steal Broberg from Edmonton, their only good prospect left in the system.  The price becomes too high for the Oilers, who definitely need an upgrade on defence, but not that type of upgrade.

The one loophole here is if a third party retains extra cap on Karlsson, making this trade more manageable.  But just imagine how hard the logistics of that type of trade would look.  Much easier for all parties to simply look elsewhere.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It seems like the impossible man to move, especially within their own division and with that monster cap hit, but Karlsson would be so fun to watch playing with McDavid and the Oilers and it'd be nice to see Edmonton destroy their team for a chance to go deep and win now. Sacrifice all defence and just try and outscore every team, and with Draisaitl, McDavid and Karlsson all on the ice at the same time, you'd like their chances.

Edmonton have around 1.9M in cap space at the deadline thanks to LTIR. Karlsson is obviously on a 11.5M cap hit for the next 5 years, isn't getting younger, but is probably going to win a Norris this year.

TO EDM: Erik Karlsson (2M retained)

TO SJS: Puljujarvi + Tyson Barrie + 1st + 2nd round picks

SJS could retain a bit more but that'd just squeeze in cap-wise, and in the off-season they'll have to off-load some contracts. Poolparty is an obvious cap dump but short-term, Barrie has kind of fallen out of favour in Edmonton so this is basically a trade to upgrade Barrie into Karlsson. Sure, SJS retain a tiny bit but they take those picks and run, for such a bad team they lack high-end picks in the next few drafts. 

It will be entertaining for sure.

McDavid and Karlsson are probably the best play drivers at their respective positions, add in Draisaitl who is also potent play driver himself and you got 3 play drivers that you can put on the ice at different times to control the game at 5-on-5.

If they can have McDavid and Karlsson overlap as little as possible 5-on-5 , then they will control majority of the game. And they can put them out together when they need a goal.

In fact, if I'm the Oilers, I'd honestly just mortgage the future to make this happen. Fixing their defence and building a balanced roster isn't going to happen overnight but if there is one move to make them dominant, it would be getting Karlsson. They will probably reach WCF again and may even get past the Avs or whoever comes out of Central.

It's exciting to think about. But Edmonton will have to first shed a lot of cap and also send multiple 1st rounders/prospects as the Sharks are rebuilding.

3 minutes ago, jyu said:

It will be entertaining for sure.

McDavid and Karlsson are probably the best play drivers at their respective positions, add in Draisaitl who is also potent play driver himself and you got 3 play drivers that you can put on the ice at different times to control the game at 5-on-5.

If they can have McDavid and Karlsson overlap as little as possible 5-on-5 , then they will control majority of the game. And they can put them out together when they need a goal.

In fact, if I'm the Oilers, I'd honestly just mortgage the future to make this happen. Fixing their defence and building a balanced roster isn't going to happen overnight but if there is one move to make them dominant, it would be getting Karlsson. They will probably reach WCF again and may even get past the Avs or whoever comes out of Central.

It's exciting to think about. But Edmonton will have to first shed a lot of cap and also send multiple 1st rounders/prospects as the Sharks are rebuilding.

What do the Coilers do to keep pucks out of their net? Karlsson makes them worse. Hopefully they are stupid enough to trade for him. 

4 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The trade everyone is asking for is, as you said, impossible.  Oilers can't make this trade the way you framed it.  They have completely over the cap with Yamamoto coming back up.  They are so strapped for cash that they'll likely be forced to put Puljujarvi on waivers just to make space.  As Tallon said, they are "dollar in, dollar out" right now.  If they acquire Karlsson at $9.5M, they need to dump 9.5M in return.  Your proposal has the Oilers giving up only $7.5M.

I also don't know where you got the impression that Barrie has fallen out of favour in Edmonton.  He has performed exactly as promised - pure offense.

Honestly, there's just no way this pipe dream trade can happen, despite the media hype.  Oilers will try to dump as much cap as possible (maybe add Foegele to your Barrie/Puljujarvi proposal), and ask SJ to retain at least $3M.  Sharks wouldn't want that because it's just a bunch of scraps that don't really help with the rebuild, along with retaining a ton of money against a division rival.  The Sharks are also still paying Burns and Jones for a few more years, so keep that in mind.  They are going to want to steal Broberg from Edmonton, their only good prospect left in the system.  The price becomes too high for the Oilers, who definitely need an upgrade on defence, but not that type of upgrade.

The one loophole here is if a third party retains extra cap on Karlsson, making this trade more manageable.  But just imagine how hard the logistics of that type of trade would look.  Much easier for all parties to simply look elsewhere.

Call me crazy but I'd give up Broberg and two 1st rounders to make this happen.

Barrie is good offensively but Karlsson supersedes him.

Barrie, Poolparty, and one more cap dump, Broberg, 2023 1st, protected 2024 1st for Karlsson and whatever depth player they could squeeze in.

The Oilers won't have forever to win a cup with McDavid and Draisaitl.

At this point, I'd like to see the cup come back to Canada and I know the teams in the East have no chance with how strong it is.

Calgary is struggling.

Oilers are the only bet.

Plus, it's going to be exciting to watch the Oilers. 

NHL needs more major player movement like this.

Just now, Alflives said:

What do the Coilers do to keep pucks out of their net? Karlsson makes them worse. Hopefully they are stupid enough to trade for him. 

If it makes them worse, then that's great! We get to see them dismantle their team and go back to suckage.

But I'd do this gamble if I were them. 

McDavid on the ice for 25+ minutes and Karlsson on the ice 25+ minutes a game.

They will share the PP minutes but at 5-on-5, they don't need to be on the ice together unless they need a goal.

Karlsson elevates players around him with his dynamic play so you can play Karlsson with 3rd and 4th line guys.

McDavid does everything himself anyways so he doesn't need Karlsson on the ice with him.

Then you send out Draisaitl in between running his own line, sometimes on the wing with McDavid, sometimes with Karlsson.

They'd control much of the game and they would have edge in the playoffs.

And if that fails spectacularly? Awesome. 

Please let this be true and for Karlsson to revert back to his play from last season and the season before. This is the best season Karlsson has had in 7 years, so it would make me very happy to see EDM trade for him and he suck again. And they'd be stuck with him for 4 more seasons. 

McDavid + Karlsson =  $24,000,000 :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Call me crazy but I'd give up Broberg and two 1st rounders to make this happen.

Barrie is good offensively but Karlsson supersedes him.

Barrie, Poolparty, and one more cap dump, Broberg, 2023 1st, protected 2024 1st for Karlsson and whatever depth player they could squeeze in.

The Oilers won't have forever to win a cup with McDavid and Draisaitl.

At this point, I'd like to see the cup come back to Canada and I know the teams in the East have no chance with how strong it is.

Calgary is struggling.

Oilers are the only bet.

Plus, it's going to be exciting to watch the Oilers. 

NHL needs more major player movement like this.

Something like this could work. SJ would still have to retain something on Karlsson, but they're obviously rebuilding and can handle it for four years after this one. An example, based on your post:

ScreenShot2023-02-16at10_06_48AM.thumb.png.0816198f2ce9c67a54d68afed34a7b4f.png

This meets roster requirements and squeezes both teams under the cap for the remainder of the year. Edmonton could still try for a pure cap dump trade with another team as well. I think it would have to be Foegele though, as he's the only one making enough dough who would be expendable from three forward group. Or switch him and Eyssimont out for another D swap.

Edited by Ralph.
  • Upvote 1

On the second thought, the Sharks are going to suck even more if they trade Karlsson.

And we need to beat them in the tank race. We absolutely need Karlsson to stay put in San Jose and help them win games.

I hope there's no trade involving Karlsson this season and I hope he puts up 100 points this season with the Sharks.

2 hours ago, Ralph. said:

Something like this could work. SJ would still have to retain something on Karlsson, but they're obviously rebuilding and can handle it for four years after this one. An example, based on your post:

ScreenShot2023-02-16at10_06_48AM.thumb.png.0816198f2ce9c67a54d68afed34a7b4f.png

This meets roster requirements and squeezes both teams under the cap for the remainder of the year. Edmonton could still try for a pure cap dump trade with another team as well. I think it would have to be Foegele though, as he's the only one making enough dough who would be expendable from three forward group. Or switch him and Eyssimont out for another D swap.

The trade still can't go through.  Are you factoring in Yamamoto's return?  He is still currently on LTIR but is now day-to-day. Also, Edmonton isn't going to play out its season with only 21 skaters on its roster.  The Sharks have to retain even more cap, which gets ridiculous.

@jyu's proposal is definitely what San Jose wants, but Edmonton simply can't make this trade because it creates roster AND cap issues.  The Sharks and Oilers need to look elsewhere if they want to be realistic. 

16 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The trade still can't go through.  Are you factoring in Yamamoto's return?  He is still currently on LTIR but is now day-to-day. Also, Edmonton isn't going to play out its season with only 21 skaters on its roster.  The Sharks have to retain even more cap, which gets ridiculous.

@jyu's proposal is definitely what San Jose wants, but Edmonton simply can't make this trade because it creates roster AND cap issues.  The Sharks and Oilers need to look elsewhere if they want to be realistic. 

It includes Yamamoto's return, yes (top of sheet); roster stays at 21 skaters (2F + 2D out, 1F + 2D in via trade, + 1F back in Yam). Obviously running with 21 isn't ideal, but there's technically nothing stopping them. I would definitely agree that they *should* look elsewhere (second trade or involve a 3rd team) to help manage the cap situation, and would expect any competent GM to pursue that. However, this is the same Kenny Holland that gave Darnell Nurse $9.25M for 8 years; some screws must be loose in there somewhere, right?

Maybe they can trade Kane back to the Sharks? :lol:

• Upvote 1

San Jose has to retain the entire 50% retention available, $5.75 million, in order for this trade to work.  If that is the case, they need to acquire multiple 1st round picks and the Oilers best prospect.

To Edmonton:

Erik Karlsson ($5.75 million retained)

Scott Harrington

Nick Bonino

Evgeny Svechnikov

Markus Nutivaara (LTIR)

To San Jose:

Jesse Puljujarvi

Tyson Barrie

Warren Foegele

Philip Broberg

2023 1st round pick

2024 1st round pick

Edmonton gets Karlsson plus 3 other players to make the cap work and add 3 more bodies to the lineup to get to 22 roster players.  They can also add Yamamoto back into the lineup.  They also take on Nutivaara's LTIR to make the cap work for San Jose.  Edmonton is already in LTIR so Nutivaara's salary is buried in LTIR money.

San Jose gets 3 players to make the cap work, gets Edmonton's top prospect in Broberg and well as 2 1st round picks.  San Jose retains $5.75 million for 4 years, so they need the multiple 1st round picks to make this work.  They are in a full rebuild, so the 4 years corresponds with Martin Jones buyout and also the fact they won't be competitive for at least 4 years.  They also trade Timo Meier for multiple 1st round picks or prospects to go into full rebuild mode...

• Vintage 1

EK in his prime is/was something to be-hold, like watching Crosby and Ovi do their thing - just a level above anyone else and he's doing it again.    Cookes accidentally on purpose foot stomp likely cost EK 2-3 Norris trophies.   He's also showing Fox, Makar, QHs etc the next guys, how it's done.    Last time i've checked he's 6th in league scoring.   If he keeps it up, and is in the top 11, that will be the 4th time he's managed that.   Only Coffey, Orr and Potvin managed that.   Some pretty incredible company, all of which should be on anyones all-time D lineup.    Playing on a totally crap team.   Can see why Grier wants to trade him, but he's not going to accept 2 seconds lol.   More like two firsts, if he retains that is.   

Edit:  Plus like Wayne Gretzky, he's doing most of his damage 5 x 5.    Could you imagine this guy running EDM's power play lol... might as well hand him the next four Norris trophies if he's healthy - he'd be challenging McDavid for the Art Ross.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

San Jose has to retain the entire 50% retention available, $5.75 million, in order for this trade to work.  If that is the case, they need to acquire multiple 1st round picks and the Oilers best prospect.

To Edmonton:

Erik Karlsson ($5.75 million retained)

Scott Harrington

Nick Bonino

Evgeny Svechnikov

Markus Nutivaara (LTIR)

To San Jose:

Jesse Puljujarvi

Tyson Barrie

Warren Foegele

Philip Broberg

2023 1st round pick

2024 1st round pick

Edmonton gets Karlsson plus 3 other players to make the cap work and add 3 more bodies to the lineup to get to 22 roster players.  They can also add Yamamoto back into the lineup.  They also take on Nutivaara's LTIR to make the cap work for San Jose.  Edmonton is already in LTIR so Nutivaara's salary is buried in LTIR money.

San Jose gets 3 players to make the cap work, gets Edmonton's top prospect in Broberg and well as 2 1st round picks.  San Jose retains $5.75 million for 4 years, so they need the multiple 1st round picks to make this work.  They are in a full rebuild, so the 4 years corresponds with Martin Jones buyout and also the fact they won't be competitive for at least 4 years.  They also trade Timo Meier for multiple 1st round picks or prospects to go into full rebuild mode...

You bet.   SJ has to get something back.    Two seconds and cap dumps is goofy.   Plus any team in our own division, is going to have to pay extra.   If it was us?  

Wed have to trade Horvats and our own first next year unprotected, plus Podz and someone else in our prospect pool, our best prospect whomever SJ thinks that might be.   And they'd take Myers off our hands.    Would you do this?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   SJ has to get something back.    Two seconds and cap dumps is goofy.   Plus any team in our own division, is going to have to pay extra.   If it was us?  

Wed have to trade Horvats and our own first next year unprotected, plus Podz and someone else in our prospect pool, our best prospect whomever SJ thinks that might be.   And they'd take Myers off our hands.    Would you do this?  

In my proposal, Edmonton is getting a 100 point defenceman and maybe the 2023 Norris trophy winner at only $5.75 million for 4 more years. That’s incredible value. I would say their cup window is another 3-4 years. After that, the dynamic duo may not be together again. Similar to Gretzky’s Oilers. So to pay two 1sts plus your best prospect is probably worth it for Edmonton to try and win a cup or two with McDavid. 

This trade would be similar to Lemiux’s Pittsburgh team when they traded for Paul Coffey. They even had to add Ron Francis before they won those back to back cups. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

San Jose have said they'll retain as much as they need to in order to get Edmonton to be able to fit him, so I don't think a mil or two here or there will matter, they'll eat it up. Obviously then Edmonton have to add more value.

It's hard to say with Karlsson, he may go back to being terrible next year. Do you pay a guy (value-wise) based on his past pedigree or current play, and who's to predict how he's going to play the next few years?

I think if SJS retain more, Edmonton have to add another pick or more realistically a decent prospect. They don't have many, but they have Petrov, Chiasson and Griffith who are all maybe B to B+ grade prospects. Barrie is no slouch though, there is some value going back but if SJS retain say 4-5M, that alone is the value of a 1st.

Two firsts, Barrie and Puljujarvi for Karlsson at 5M retained is a massive trade but probably worth it for Edmonton IF they believe Karlsson is going to play like this the next couple of seasons. That's very 80's hockey but they could easily have the top-3 scorers in the NHL next year and 3 over 100pts.

For funsies, no one not named Gretzky or Lemieux has scored more than 160 points in a season, ever. McDavid's currently on pace for just under 150pts, but surely with a full season of Karlsson, McDavid enters some insane territory.