The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Trade our 2 1st

absolutely not.

5 and 13?

michkov/smith/benson and Barlow/Wood/Honzek

There's not many RHD teams would part with that make it even remotely appealing to take 2 steps back to acquire.  Dobson is about the ONLY one that rings that bell and NYI is not giving him up at all.

Until we know what our picks are and what they're worth it's not worth entertaining.  At this point in time; like Montreal.  Vancouver has an outside shot at drafting twice in the top 5 if the NYI pick hits.

• Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, Paul-walker said:

Our 2 1st, brock, Myers, garland, Rathbone for Bedard 

do you think that gets it done?

Maybe the other team would listen if it was Pettersson, Hughes and our two 1sts

I think it's a possibility that they do trade one of the 1sts to rid themselves of a contract (OEL or Myers). I hope not, Canucks need high end prospects.

20 minutes ago, Paul-walker said:

Our 2 1st, brock, Myers, garland, Rathbone for Bedard 

do you think that gets it done?

Absolutely no team is trading the first overall this year. There is simply zero chance unless some team is willing to completely handicap their future for one player.

For example the deal that might get it done is Petterson, Hughes and our 2 1st's, and thats still a maybe.

The only way to get Bedard is through the draft lottery. 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Keep the 1sts.

Using a 1st to off load OEL is just a bad idea.

Statistically it’s a small chance to get Bedard with a fifth in the draft so wich team is willing to gamble their first RHD for a chance to get Bedard? 

59 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Absolutely no team is trading the first overall this year. There is simply zero chance unless some team is willing to completely handicap their future for one player.

For example the deal that might get it done is Petterson, Hughes and our 2 1st's, and thats still a maybe.

The only way to get Bedard is through the draft lottery. 

Exactly, so what is the teams ready to pay for a chance to get him? 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

absolutely not.

5 and 13?

michkov/smith/benson and Barlow/Wood/Honzek

There's not many RHD teams would part with that make it even remotely appealing to take 2 steps back to acquire.  Dobson is about the ONLY one that rings that bell and NYI is not giving him up at all.

Until we know what our picks are and what they're worth it's not worth entertaining.  At this point in time; like Montreal.  Vancouver has an outside shot at drafting twice in the top 5 if the NYI pick hits.

Well, a team wanting Bedard might be willing to gamble.

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Statistically it’s a small chance to get Bedard with a fifth in the draft so wich team is willing to gamble their first RHD for a chance to get Bedard? 

Exactly, so what is the teams ready to pay for a chance to get him? 

Well, a team wanting Bedard might be willing to gamble.

Honestly, I think the response from whichever GM gets the 1st overall is that Bedard is not available. I doubt the GM even bothers to entertain trade offers.

Winning the 1st overall is literally winning the lottery. There isn't anything better. Whoever gets the 1st will be more than happy with that, and will have zero interest in any trades. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly, I think the response from whichever GM gets the 1st overall is that Bedard is not available. I doubt the GM even bothers to entertain trade offers.

Winning the 1st overall is literally winning the lottery. There isn't anything better. Whoever gets the 1st will be more than happy with that, and will have zero interest in any trades. 

You misunderstood me.

Who is willing to trade their best RHD, and other trades related to it, to us before the draft?

So we trade away our chance for Bedard to get something we need at once and starting competing from next year. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

I am curious what the return would be if we trade our 2 1sts(5, 13) for an RHD and maybe other players and or off loading OEL or Myers or another player.

I don't see Myers as a problem because he only has 1 year left on his contract.  After his bonus is paid out

in July, his salary will cost $1m, but his cap hit remains $6m.  I can see a rebuilding team that has a lot

of cap space, taking Myers.

OEL is another story.  His contract is so huge that the Canucks would have to retain too much to move him.

I'm beginning to think that the only way to unload the contract is via buyout.  Yes, it extends the contract, but

the annual cap hit is much lower as dead cap space, so it still helps the team moving forward.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

The Canucks are desperate to improve their prospect pool with better players.  This coming draft year

is supposed to be stronger, with more quality picks.  If they end up in the top 5, they will likely get an

excellent Centre; while anything under #16 will likely be a very good player as well.  Even the 2nd

rounder may be very good, but will take longer to reach the NHL.  For this team to improve, they

need to continue making trades at the TDL and during the offseason and have huge success at

the draft.

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You misunderstood me.

Who is willing to trade their best RHD, and other trades related to it, to us before the draft?

So we trade away our chance for Bedard to get something we need at once and starting competing from next year. 

Right, I understand what youre saying. My bad.

I'll need to think about a good response. 

I'd imagine there are a couple playoff bound teams that would be willing to trade some good D in the summer for a couple 1st's (Rangers, Boston, Maybe Arizona, Carolina, NJ). But nothing will happen before the TDL while those teams are still contending.

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

How about we just use what'll likely be a top 7 pick and a top 14 pick to draft own players instead 

Laughing-to-no GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

But will that be a better player than Noah Dobson, Shea Theodore etc?

we might already got our C doublepunch in Räty and Petey wich means a third quality C isn’t necessary if it isn’t Bedard.

Edited by Timråfan