The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Swiss league launches investigation into ex-Canucks coach Marc Crawford

Rate this topic

Canuck You

An independent investigation into current ZSC Lions and former Vancouver Canucks coach Marc Crawford for use of homophobic remarks against a referee has been launched by the National League, Switzerland’s top men’s hockey circuit.

Crawford’s comments came in the final seconds of a 3-2 loss for ZSC to ECH Biel. He was petitioning official Mikko Kaukokari for more time to be added to the clock in the late stages of the game, according to Swiss outlet Blick.

“I actually saw this. Marc Crawford crossed a red line with these discriminatory remarks,” National League Director Denis Vaucher told Blick, according to Google Translate. “In the heat of the moment, you can say ‘f**k’ or other words of the style, but when you personally attack the referee as is the case here, it’s more than trash talk.

“The case is now in the hands of the single judge who will determine whether he broke the rules or not.”

Crawford is 24th in NHL history with 556 wins as a coach, including 246 with the Vancouver Canucks from 1998-2006. He also served as coach of the Colorado Avalanche, leading them to the Stanley Cup in 1996, and guided the Los Angeles Kings, Dallas Stars, and Ottawa Senators.

The 62-year-old returned to ZSC’s bench this season. He had previously spent four years as their coach from 2012-16.

ZSC is third in the National League standings with a 21-16-5-4 record for 77 points.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/swiss-league-investigation-ex-canucks-crawford?fbclid=IwAR3gxHoHfJzsgPH8hb-qyTk5nUOkDm1mcOYEuuS7QWK_RmV-85C9WfYAVXs

:lol: Oh the time's we live in! So sensitive.

Edited by Canuck You

• Canuck You changed the title to Swiss league launches investigation into ex-Canucks coach Marc Crawford
10 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

This was not a homophobic slur,  hasn't been for a while... if someones intent was to shame their sexual orientation they would be using other words...

The intent would be the same as calling someone a ***tard, c**t licker, Idiot, Wank**

he was calling him stupid... at least...

cant wait till the left to take away the words blowing and blew too....

George Carlin is stirring in his grave right now...

And using the word "gay" as a synonym for "bad" used to be normal when I was growing up.

• Cheers 3

The new PC way of complaining about a refs call...

Ref! I require a word! i must protest this call you made! Clearly from my eyes i could see that you made a mistake! Perhaps, you have outside motive's to skew the game results in your preferred outcome? Defend thine self!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And using the word "gay" as a synonym for "bad" used to be normal when I was growing up.

it used to mean happy or joyful in the 17 and 18th century.... by the 19th century it also became slang for a woman prostitute and a gay man was someone that had relations with these women. and if you said me and that lady were gay together you meant you had sex... around the 30's it started to also mean if you called a man gay it meant they had sex with not only prostitutes but also men... by 1955 it meant homosexual males and women prostitutes... by the 70's it no longer meant female prostitute and also included female homosexuals...

the fact that you use this as some kind of gotcha moment is funny... people in the 70's 80's or 90's didn't understand why someone would be gay... they thought how stupid it must be to grow up without ever bearing many many children... because success meant having a large family... of course people thought it was stupid at the time.... some people still have those conservative views today... that success is measured by how many children you can bring into this world... but much less people think that now and understand why someone would be gay... so it has naturally fallen out of favor...

the fact that anyone can be a ****sucker takes alot out of the merit that this is used as a word to slur in a homophobic manner.... many people will just curse and use that word in response to bad news... theyll just say ****sucker and regain their composure... in this fashion the intent is to show displeasure, and i don't know how you would construe this use with homophobia either.

The left needs to stop banning words... it doesn't work... new words will take its place...

Edited by Bad_BOI_pete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's definitely not the first coach to say something like that, but it's also exactly the kind of thing we want removed from the culture.  I like Crow, but he needs to be held accountable if this is correct.

i wan to do a thought experiment with you...

the left argues that their is countless genders and anyone that feels they have been mislabeled by nature they can rebrand their gender...

they also argue that sexual organs do not define gender, that any gender can have one and/or multiple sexual organs...

if any gender can have a cock how can it be considered homophobic to call someone a ****sucker?

what is more likely and generally acknowlodged by the term with the world population that the natural male sex organ is dirty and gross.... and the reason we still use it a slur for a stupid person is because many think it would be gross and stupid to perform said act... hence why the term stupid, gross and idiot are often used before it to show emphasis...

like i said it hasnt been used as a homophobic slur for a long time... and in fact some small groups that include many different sexual orientations use it a term of endearment...

I have had people call me  a ****sucker in a light spirited way along with laughter in response to a roast i have just given them.... and that in terms of cursewords this is a very tame one...

still I agree that crawford shouldnt have used the term in a work situation in a demeaning manner that he obviously intended... I just don't think it was homophobic at all...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Lol this world is filled with ****ies 

Can't even call people names in the heat of the Moment anymore without everyone losing their minds.

Can't believe this is news, that ref needs to grow a pair 

imagine you are a ref and you are called cocksucker. You would consider this as a compliment, surely. Great. I think you ethic values need to change.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Words come and go from society, and have probably done so since the dawn of man.  The only older folk I've heard still using slurs are the immature ones who do it out of spite.

Now as for Crow, I'll give him a tiny benefit of the doubt.  I'm sure he didn't mean to get into trouble, since he's been under the microscope since the Blackhawks scandal.  Which is why it bothers me as to why you're so keen to defend his actions.  This type of overtly anti-left rhetoric you've spewed out was exactly the reason you got other threads locked.  This post of yours is a prime example of a bad-faith argument.

... its a truth that's argued by many people.. perhaps you are in a echo chamber... your views does not define how the fact that this PC culture of being offended by everything is getting less and less popular by the minute... just remember that for every action their is a reaction. you may not have just noticed yet but "woke" culture is dying.. every day that the claims get more and more ridiculous someone joins the anti "woke" culture...

And yes its ridiculous to call this man homophobic for using the term... we can all agree he has anger issues... but that's not what the story said it said he was a homophobe

and for the people you hang out with does it ever contain any laughter? wordplay and slight teasing whether its against oneself or others has always been a top echelon way of getting a laugh... if its immature to poke fun at someone i guess im guilty of being immature

and i will let you know i never have been warned for any of my messages regarding these so called topics you say i got shut down... maybe it was shutdown for other reasons?

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

i wan to do a thought experiment with you...

the left argues that their is countless genders and anyone that feels they have been mislabeled by nature they can rebrand their gender...

they also argue that sexual organs do not define gender, that any gender can have one and/or multiple sexual organs...

if any gender can have a cock how can it be considered homophobic to call someone a ****sucker?

what is more likely and generally acknowlodged by the term with the world population that the natural male sex organ is dirty and gross.... and the reason we still use it a slur for a stupid person is because many think it would be gross and stupid to perform said act... hence why the term stupid, gross and idiot are often used before it to show emphasis...

like i said it hasnt been used as a homophobic slur for a long time... and in fact some small groups that include many different sexual orientations use it a term of endearment...

I have had people call me  a ****sucker in a light spirited way along with laughter in response to a roast i have just given them.... and that in terms of cursewords this is a very tame one...

still I agree that crawford shouldnt have used the term in a work situation in a demeaning manner that he obviously intended... I just don't think it was homophobic at all...

Why does it have to be about political left or right? It's not about that at all. Furthermore, by summarizing people in spectrums, you run into situations where people on the left could very much agree with you, but you'll assume they'll hold the same notions because YOU put them there.

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

imagine you are a ref and you are called cocksucker. You would consider this as a compliment, surely. Great. I think you ethic values need to change.

what a ridiculous response...

words have different meanings you know right? especially this particular one...

he was not complimenting the ref... but he was also not throwing homophobic slurs

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

... its a truth that's argued by many people.. perhaps you are in a echo chamber... your views does not define how the fact that this PC culture of being offended by everything is getting less and less popular by the minute... just remember that for every action their is a reaction. you may not have just noticed yet but "woke" culture is dying.. every day that the claims get more and more ridiculous someone joins the anti "woke" culture...

And yes its ridiculous to call this man homophobic for using the term... we can all agree he has anger issues... but that's not what the story said it said he was a homophobe

and for the people you hang out with does it ever contain any laughter? wordplay and slight teasing whether its against oneself or others has always been a top echelon way of getting a laugh... if its immature to poke fun at someone i guess im guilty of being immature

and i will let you know i never have been warned for any of my messages regarding these so called topics you say i got shut down... maybe it was shutdown for other reasons?

Well, if we are going to generalize, a lot of people on the right say there is fascism and a violation of the freedom of speech. What do you say about that?