The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demko re-injured?

Rate this topic

Plaguez

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Umnnnn, do you see Demko's record this year?  They are all bad - and it's not really their fault - it's our porous defense.

I think thats what I said. We hung em out to dry and our tank job this year likely costs them any hope of ever getting an nhl gig again. We owe them thanks.

• Tanks a lot 3

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I would be all in favor of shutting Demko down for the season except for one thing. It would be good to know if he will actually be able to play effectively again of if the Canucks should be looking for another #1 goalie. Tristan Jarry (UFA after this season has been mentioned as a possibility) although he also currently injured.

With good goaltending next year (or even just league average goaltending) I would expect the Canucks to make the playoffs next year. I don't think the Canucks want another bad year just because they don't have a legitimate NHL goalie.

Even if he's good to go, I wouldn't thikn he'll play more than 15-18 games. I don't know if having him come off an injury, and play infront of the team we're currently icing is going to give us a fair assessment of where his game is. I don't think Jarry is a good enough goalie to run a gamble on, I'd rather see Demko back 100% with an offseason of training to get back into game shape. As it stands right now Sorokin/Hellebuyck are both UFA in 2024, as well as a bevy of competent stop gaps for another year of tanking/rebuilding/retooling. I also don't like the idea on paying any more than we already are for a goaltender, when we're nowhere near ready to compete. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

would be nice to get hm some games to see if we can move him and sign Jarry, I love Demko, but unless he goes vein calibre again, we are screwed, we could use some assets back for him then sign Jarry

Why would teams give up assets for a guy who might have shot hips? If we can't play him, and have him play well before the deadline he isn't going to have a line of teams interested. The best play here is to have him sit, and be ready to go next October. And if we do play him, and he plays well.. we're not moving him to sign a worse goalie in Jarry for more money. Jarry is looking for a pay bump in the 6-6.5 range, and will be getting term with that number. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Well this is definitely good for the tank but these doctors and trainers needs to be fired as soon as the whistle blows on the last game of the season. 

They are atrocious. 

I honestly can't remember a time when the Canucks we're consistently decimated by injuries. 

As much as I like to rag on the team, I think it's more to do with the lack of off days and the insane amount of travel we have.

Maybe the Pearson injury has some fault, but it's hard to put blame on the doctors with the 0 information we have.

f**k Aqua though

3 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Why would teams give up assets for a guy who might have shot hips? If we can't play him, and have him play well before the deadline he isn't going to have a line of teams interested. The best play here is to have him sit, and be ready to go next October. And if we do play him, and he plays well.. we're not moving him to sign a worse goalie in Jarry for more money. Jarry is looking for a pay bump in the 6-6.5 range, and will be getting term with that number. 

Agree with you here. 

I find it interesting how so many canucks fans complain about how wrong Benning was for trying to build a team through free agency (which is true) but yet turn around and try to trade our good in house developed players so we can replace them with free agents. Banking on signing free agents in the off season is a terrible plan especially when we are talking about goalies. The pool of true #1 goalies in free agency is so small and the amount of teams looking for one sky rockets their cost and lowers the odds we land them. This season should be a big enough indicator to fans that our team will go nowhere with below average goaltending. Demko's trade value, even if he were to play all the games before the deadline, is so low right now that the return he would get couldn't fix all our problems (defense). 

Watch, if we move Demko out now, canucks fans will be complaining in two years about how poor our goaltending is and how that is the only thing holding us back from competing. 

10 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I honestly can't remember a time when the Canucks we're consistently decimated by injuries. 

As much as I like to rag on the team, I think it's more to do with the lack of off days and the insane amount of travel we have.

Maybe the Pearson injury has some fault, but it's hard to put blame on the doctors with the 0 information we have.

f**k Aqua though

It is not the amount of injuries but rather the Pearson situation, and Demko re-injuring himself.

This demonstrates that these trainers and doctors and trainers are not capable of properly diagnosing or evaluate injuries. 

One thing to have a lot of injuries and another to completely miss-handle it. 

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is not the amount of injuries but rather the Pearson situation, and Demko re-injuring himself.

This demonstrates that these trainers and doctors and trainers are not capable of properly diagnosing or evaluate injuries. 

One thing to have a lot of injuries and another to completely miss-handle it. 

We don't even know what Demko's injury is dude.

Also re-aggravating a previous injury isn't uncommon, and certainly doesn't suggest incompetence on the doctors part. 

The doctors will assess the injury and suggest surgery/physio/rest, but our team doctors aren't generally the ones performing the surgery or overseeing the actual therapy, that would be the physiotherapy team who are part of the "Human Performance" team, not the medical team. 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Shut him and OEL down for the rest of the year and weaponize that newfound LTIR space. This is the way. 

Yes! Pearson is on LTIR now too.  Imagine how much bad cap we could take on for the remainder of this season if Demko and OEL were thrown into LTIR too!

of course having a 6 week injury take 12 weeks before getting reinsured in practice is too good to be true... this team is F'ing cursed

-bad history of injuries at all times, even SCF

- people come here who seem smart and think its gonna be do-able and end up doing stupid shEEET

- bad and unlucky drafting

cursed cursed cursed