The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pearson officially on LTIR now!

Rate this topic

HKSR

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

But he doesn't ride the bench

He's averaging about 10 minutes a game in February, and 11 minutes on the year.

That puts him right on par with Dakota Joshua, who arguable rides the bench for pretty long stretches during the game.

He was also healthy scratched a handful of times earlier in the year, so it's not a given that he's going get any additional length on his leash down the stretch.

Calgary is in a dogfight for the wildcard spot, they can put some pressure on him to waive.

Again, not saying it's likely, but it's probably more likely than most bloated contracts with a NMC that are expiring.

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

He's averaging about 10 minutes a game in February, and 11 minutes on the year.

That puts him right on par with Dakota Joshua, who arguable rides the bench for pretty long stretches during the game.

He was also healthy scratched a handful of times earlier in the year, so it's not a given that he's going get any additional length on his leash down the stretch.

Calgary is in a dogfight for the wildcard spot, they can put some pressure on him to waive.

Again, not saying it's likely, but it's probably more likely than most bloated contracts with a NMC that are expiring.

I remain unconvinced on that one

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah good thinking @Mustard Tiger . You could add Brossoit from VGK to that list. Cap hit of $2.3 and never played a game for the big club this season.

Especially if they find a way to shore up their goaltending. I imagine they aren't going to be very confident with their current situation. They are going to have a lot of holes to fill with almost no money to spend. They'll be really intriguing to watch.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I remain unconvinced on that one

I'm far from convinced.

Like I said, I was just looking at expiring deals of players with bloated contracts with trade protection. 

The majority either still contribute, or play for teams not competing for a playoff spot. 

Maybe Okoposo, but I honesty have followed his year, I have no idea if he's healthy/playing well or if Buffalo is looking to take a shot. 

Jonathan Quick in LA, if they're able to find a replacement before the deadline.

So, unless I miss my guess, that gives us close to 7 million available which could be used to absorb an expiring contract from another team if they need to make room for another trade.

Let's Weaponize our LTIR!!!

As others are suggesting on here..... :)

Edited by VegasCanuck

18 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Especially if they find a way to shore up their goaltending. I imagine they aren't going to be very confident with their current situation. They are going to have a lot of holes to fill with almost no money to spend. They'll be really intriguing to watch.

Agree VGK have a few holes, namely 1RW and G. But they are not cap strapped, because Stone's $9.5m hasn't even been moved to LTIR yet.

Gotta think they are in on P Kane and maybe one of Lankinen, Ingram, Korpisalo or Greiss

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Agree VGK have a few holes, namely 1RW and G. But they are not cap strapped, because Stone's $9.5m hasn't even been moved to LTIR yet.

Gotta think they are in on P Kane and maybe one of Lankinen, Ingram, Korpisalo or Greiss

Even with the space, they aren't exactly flush with assets.

It's insane to look at the moves they've made in their short history, constantly mortgaging the future. 

I'm shocked they still have their first this year, which is their only pick before the 5th round. 

I guess they can make a push, but they really are running out of futures here, probably on a roster that isn't going to take a realistic shot. 

45 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

There are not many expiring UFAs without trade protection that contenders are looking to dump, can you think of any?

As all the analysts are saying, this TDL, pretty much any transaction requires cap out and cap in.  I'm sure there's teams out there that want to upgrade on positions and would rather not have to take any cap back.  That's where we come in for a 3 way trade.

For example, let's say Toronto wants Dumba (not unrealistic since they want Myers apparently), but we know Minny doesn't want to take on any cap.  So the Canucks come in here and make it work by taking on Toronto's cap dumps to facilitate the trade... basically Minny takes Liljegren out of the package and gives us Kerfoot for a pick.

Toronto dumps cap to afford Dumba.

Minny gets a young RHD to replace Dumba while not taking on the other team's cap dump in which they offload it to the Canucks.

Canucks get a 2nd round pick for taking on the cap dump from Toronto.

Toronto gets:

Dumba

Canucks get:

Kerfoot

2nd round pick (MIN)

Minny gets:

Liljegren

Canucks don't give up anything here but cap space.

IMPORTANT:  THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE.  DON'T LOSE SLEEP OVER THE VALUES PRESENTED LOL.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Even with the space, they aren't exactly flush with assets.

It's insane to look at the moves they've made in their short history, constantly mortgaging the future. 

I'm shocked they still have their first this year, which is their only pick before the 5th round. 

I guess they can make a push, but they really are running out of futures here, probably on a roster that isn't going to take a realistic shot. 

VGK also has two 3rd round picks in 2023.

If they spend their 1st and 2 x 3rds getting P Kane and a decent goalie, then I definitely think their roster has a shot.

And I think they are looking pretty good for the next 2 seasons (assuming Lehner and Stone are back and healthy).

From 2025 onwards they will struggle as their core ages out and they have no young talent coming through. My guess is then they will do a scorched earth rebuild.

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Does retaining on Kane mean that he was technically a Vancouver Canuck?

Deals off if that's the case.

We don't need to be tied to a guy who harasses sexual assault survivors, and beats cab drivers. 

The stain of guys like Virtanen and Boucher linger enough for this team. 

• RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Because it's terrible value for EDM

they want to clear PoolParty's 3m cap hit though, so take that into consideration it should mean Canucks if they take back a salary like that should be hoping to get a 2nd roun pick back in return. Otherwise, we might get a 3rd round pick offered to us. I like Schenn but he is what he is on a good team he isn't an everyday player unless there are injuries see his TB tenure. Schenn brings grit and experience but he is slow, and well not fair to him cause our whole D core is brutal but he makes his mistakes too just with a sub 1m cap hit we brush those away given he has far outperformed anyones expectations since he signed the 2 yr deal.

Asset management, move Schenn and do it soon imo before his kids birth gets too close. Send him to Alberta or maybe Seattle, not far away for him to travel and those teams could maybe use a depth D like Schenn

2 minutes ago, Neutral said:

they want to clear PoolParty's 3m cap hit though, so take that into consideration it should mean Canucks if they take back a salary like that should be hoping to get a 2nd roun pick back in return. Otherwise, we might get a 3rd round pick offered to us. I like Schenn but he is what he is on a good team he isn't an everyday player unless there are injuries see his TB tenure. Schenn brings grit and experience but he is slow, and well not fair to him cause our whole D core is brutal but he makes his mistakes too just with a sub 1m cap hit we brush those away given he has far outperformed anyones expectations since he signed the 2 yr deal.

Asset management, move Schenn and do it soon imo before his kids birth gets too close. Send him to Alberta or maybe Seattle, not far away for him to travel and those teams could maybe use a depth D like Schenn

Edmontons ask for Puljujarvi is a 2nd. 

They won't need to pay to move him, they'll get assets back, or he'll be in a package for a bigger deal.