The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Trade] Gavrikov Deal Completed to Boston, Waiting on a Taker for Craig Smith (Update on P4)

AngryElf

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, is the business though

The sense I'm getting is they probably didn't want to take on Smith and told them to dump him elsewhere, and then Boston stumbled into a better deal

If it went anything like that Columbus can only blame themselves 

Friedman on his podcast says CBJ and Boston have very different takes on how far along they were in trade talks.  CBJ believed they had a firm commitment and that's why they sat Gavrikov who is apparently not happy with that.  Boston thought they were just poking around and continued to look at other options elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman on his podcast says CBJ and Boston have very different takes on how far along they were in trade talks.  CBJ believed they had a firm commitment and that's why they sat Gavrikov who is apparently not happy with that.  Boston thought they were just poking around and continued to look at other options elsewhere.

Tough break for the BJ's if true, of course Gavrikov won't be happy having sat for nothing 

Not surprised Boston was still poking around though, they've supposedly been poking their noses everywhere 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Tough break for the BJ's if true, of course Gavrikov won't be happy having sat for nothing 

Not surprised Boston was still poking around though, they've supposedly been poking their noses everywhere 

Orlov also wasn't available till recently but Washington kept on slipping and it looks like they've pivoted to sellers mode.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Orlov also wasn't available till recently but Washington kept on slipping and it looks like they've pivoted to sellers mode.

Yup, there may be more to come 

Orlov and the Caps haven't been close on a deal for a while so it's not surprising he was moved 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, there may be more to come 

Orlov and the Caps haven't been close on a deal for a while so it's not surprising he was moved 

I’m not convinced the Caps are sellers.

Wasnt their a rumour that the Jackets were trying to flip the return from Boston in order to get Chychrun?

I could see the Caps just trading for Gavrikov now.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wasnt their a rumour that the Jackets were trying to flip the return from Boston in order to get Chychrun?

I think they're trying to straddle the line. Looking to the future while shipping out a guy they weren't going to keep. 

Gavrikov to the Caps wouldn't surprise me. They like their Russian contingent, was just posting about that in the Tryamkin thread. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think they're trying to straddle the line. Looking to the future while shipping out a guy they weren't going to keep. 

Gavrikov to the Caps wouldn't surprise me. They like their Russian contingent, was just posting about that in the Tryamkin thread. 

Would make sense for them as there’s probably a good chance they can re-sign him. He’s a few years younger than Orlov.

With nobody signed on D next season other than Carlsson, it would be good to get ahead of that, playoffs or not.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would make sense for them as there’s probably a good chance they can re-sign him. He’s a few years younger than Orlov.

With nobody signed on D next season other than Carlsson, it would be good to get ahead of that, playoffs or not.

Yup, that's what I was saying in the Tryamkin thread. Gavrikov would be an easy fit, it'd keep him out East too. 

BJ's might have to drop their price a bit but they might be able to walk away with Boston's 1st. I don't see the Caps wanting to give up most of the Boston return though, they really do need to start drafting more guys. 

Tryamkin could be a fit there specifically because of the Russian bit, the Ovechkin bit, and the opportunity bit. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They will not be in seller or rebuild mode fully until Ovechkin retires.

I think they are just utilizing players they are not going to be able to resign. Orlov wanted many more years on a new contract then the Capitals were willing to go. Eller, Sheary, and van Riemsdyk are all players the team is weighing the benefit of extending new deals or exploring the trade market.

They may be working on new contracts for Jensen and Gustafsson but if anything stalls in that regard within the week they could be put on the market too.