The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Trade] Gavrikov Deal Completed to Boston, Waiting on a Taker for Craig Smith (Update on P4)

AngryElf

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we agree. Teams don’t trust Chychscrub can stay healthy, so his value is less than what the Coyotes expect. But he’s still going to get a similar return to Horfat. 

I think he might get more, I think it might mostly end up being picks though. Chychrun coming in at 4.6M for the rest of this season and the two following seasons is great value for a team that wants to try and go deep multiple times. 

I won't be surprised if it's mostly picks as opposed to A-A+ prospects though. 

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Seems like everyone wants RHD…I think a 2nd and Hoglander is realistic

Considering a higher profile player like Lundqvist went for a 1st I think it makes sense.

I like Hoglander and think he could be a solid support player but if we can sacrifice winger depth for D we need to.

The 2nd will be a high one but it’s likely a pick we’d be trying to get a player like Peeke anyways. We’re at the stage where it’s imperative we find a long term partner for Hughes. Delaying it further is just gonna make it harder and harder to build a contender.

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, AngryElf said:

We wouldn’t be involved then, they would need to get a taker for Cal Peterson and that contract is too long for us. It would make sense why CBJ isn’t involved in him as a cap dump with their goalie depth. 

Anderson - Doughty 

Gavrikov - Durzi 

Bjornfot - Roy 

I would happily take on Cal Peterson with 50% retained for a decent sweetener.

We need a backup goalie for next year and that is a find salary for a backup to be making.  Ian Clarke could rehab him back to form.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

We need a backup goalie for next year and that is a find salary for a backup to be making.  Ian Clarke could rehab him back to form.

Not much of a cap gain for LA vs burying him in the AHL.  In a year he's an easy buyout with a cap hit of only 170K/1.1M.   LA don't see themselves as contenders just yet so can't really see them making that kind of deal.  They apparently also still believe Petersen can rebound per Hoven.  They believe his bad start was a combination of the team playing poorly defensively and him then losing confidence.  Copley is now benefiting from LA having re-found their D-game.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Not much of a cap gain for LA vs burying him in the AHL.  In a year he's an easy buyout with a cap hit of only 170K/1.1M.   LA don't see themselves as contenders just yet so can't really see them making that kind of deal.  They apparently also still believe Petersen can rebound per Hoven.  They believe his bad start was a combination of the team playing poorly defensively and him then losing confidence.  Copley is now benefiting from LA having re-found their D-game.

Except that every media outlet has repeatedly reported that they are big game hunting for a major add by the deadline…. So clearly they think they are contenders even if you don’t.

They also already waived Peterson, so not exactly so enamoured with his services that they weren’t worried about losing him for nothing.  His contract is huge for what he offers them, he has negative value.

His buyout a year from now according to Capfriendly says $1 million that year and $2 million the next.

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except that every media outlet has repeatedly reported that they are big game hunting for a major add by the deadline…. So clearly they think they are contenders even if you don’t.

They also already waived Peterson, so not exactly so enamoured with his services that they weren’t worried about losing him for nothing.  His contract is huge for what he offers them, he has negative value.

His buyout a year from now according to Capfriendly says $1 million that year and $2 million the next.

In Canada.  Not the same reporting out of LA or from the team themselves.  Robitaille, their President of hockey ops, talks of how last season no one saw them coming (playing backup goalies etc) while they need to confirm this season they are a playoff team.  LA talks of lottery team to playoff team to contender.  They are still at the stage of becoming a consistent playoff team.  

They waived him to help him.  He needed to play to get his game back.

This was Blake just this Thursday on the state of the team:  “I think a little bit of our balance is, with the younger players, the ones that are starting to solidify themselves in the lineup, is it better let them keep going,” he added. “You don’t want to bring something in that’s going to throw that mix off. I think we have a good mix right now and I think they’re real comfortable in Todd’s style. So, to bring anything in there, I think it has to improve our team, without taking anything out of that lineup. It has to add to that team to make it better.”

It's known that they've been in on Chychrun forever.  He's an age fit where they also don't have top-4 LDs in the system.  

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, mll said:

Chychrun still the target though - age fit/cap fit.  Arizona is going to be left with no one to trade him to if they don't lower their ask and other teams move on to their B option.  He's already missed 4 games - are they really just going to keep him if no one pays up.  LA can wait because they don't really see themselves as contenders just yet while Boston or Edmonton etc are going for it.  

Arizona in no rush to trade chychrun worse case they try again at the draft and more team possibly opens up if they don’t get what they want.

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Arizona in no rush to trade chychrun worse case they try again at the draft and more team possibly opens up if they don’t get what they want.

Hold him out for 9 games and then just put him back in as if nothing happened.  Don't really see it.

He's asked out quite some time ago too.  Got to wonder if his agent won't push for a mutual contract termination at some point.  Surely there are teams out there that are going to offer him more than his 4.6M cap hit.  Arizona would then lose an asset to trade.   It's not that simple but they are ways to make the situation ugly and force things vs now Arizona being still in the driver seat.

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Hold him out for 9 games and then just put him back in as if nothing happened.  Don't really see it.

He's asked out quite some time ago too.  Got to wonder if his agent won't push for a mutual contract termination at some point.  Surely there are teams out there that are going to offer him more than his 4.6M cap hit.  Arizona would then lose an asset to trade.   It's not that simple but they are ways to make the situation ugly and force things vs now Arizona being still in the driver seat.

Why would Arizona ever agree to mutually terminate his contract? 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

In Canada.  Not the same reporting out of LA or from the team themselves.  Robitaille, their President of hockey ops, talks of how last season no one saw them coming (playing backup goalies etc) while they need to confirm this season they are a playoff team.  LA talks of lottery team to playoff team to contender.  They are still at the stage of becoming a consistent playoff team.  

They waived him to help him.  He needed to play to get his game back.

This was Blake just this Thursday on the state of the team:  “I think a little bit of our balance is, with the younger players, the ones that are starting to solidify themselves in the lineup, is it better let them keep going,” he added. “You don’t want to bring something in that’s going to throw that mix off. I think we have a good mix right now and I think they’re real comfortable in Todd’s style. So, to bring anything in there, I think it has to improve our team, without taking anything out of that lineup. It has to add to that team to make it better.”

It's known that they've been in on Chychrun forever.  He's an age fit where they also don't have top-4 LDs in the system.  

You just posted random stuff that doesn’t support your statements, and literally goes against what you are saying.

They aren’t in on big game names at the deadline as they aren’t sure they are a contender… but yes they are in on Chychrun.  Those are opposite things.

They want to add players that makes their team better and don’t want to take players off their roster as per Blake. Peterson isn’t on their roster… and that statement also means they want to improve and make moves, not just sit back and see how things go this year like you keep saying.

When asked whether he wants to add at the deadline, Blake literally said “We’d like to”.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

There is no reason for Arizona to terminate his contract.  They have a very high trade price ask, the alternative to that isn’t getting nothing.

Cite examples of valuable players forcing mutual terminations of contracts in the past.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

You just posted random stuff that doesn’t support your statements, and literally goes against what you are saying.

They aren’t in on big game names at the deadline as they aren’t sure they are a contender… but yes they are in on Chychrun.  Those are opposite things.

They want to add players that makes their team better and don’t want to take players off their roster as per Blake. Peterson isn’t on their roster… and that statement also means they want to improve and make moves, not just sit back and see how things go this year like you keep saying.

When asked whether he wants to add at the deadline, Blake literally said “We’d like to”.

Chychrun has term to his deal.  They don't have LDs in their system.  He's still young.  Does make sense to go after him as he can help their team long term and be part of their contending window.  What doesn't make sense is going after high priced rentals or guys that are going to box out their younger players.  Chychrun won't do that because they don't have anyone like him in the system.  They are not contenders yet. 

It's not lottery to contender.  There's that middle step.  Learning how to win while teams perceive them as worthy opponents instead of a bottom feeder where they can just put out their backup goalie and B effort.  LA still not consistent and have even had trouble closing games even vs lottery teams.  Lots was made of Vancouver unable to hold on to a lead but LA has struggled just as much where even 4 goal leads have evaporated.

Edited by mll

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

There is no reason for Arizona to terminate his contract.  They have a very high trade price ask, the alternative to that isn’t getting nothing.

Cite examples of valuable players forcing mutual terminations of contracts in the past.

I agree that there's no way that Arizona would agee to mutually terminate when they can easily get valuable assets in a trade. However, if Arizona does fail to trade him before the trade deadline and attempts to reinsert him in the lineup I wonder if the NHLPA might get involved in an effort to terminate the contract (if that's what Chychrun wants). 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Not the best formulation and wouldn't expect it to happen.   It's not really a risk for him to ask to terminate his contract (not that Arizona would accept) with his market value likely higher.

His side could try and force Arizona to accelerate a trade.  What happens if he takes the decision to not come and play anymore.  They can suspend him without pay but the situation won't get any better for both sides.  How long do they drag on the situation and can they ask the same price if he decides to sit out.  Does he risk something there?

They are keeping him out for possibly 9 games and they announced it as trade reasons.  Does his side have grounds to contest that they sat him out and didn't trade him.

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

lol u can't push for a mutual contract termination because someone refuse to trade you.. this isn't the NBA  otherwise everyone is pushing for "mutual" contract termination to not have cap penalty.. because a team is willing to pay him more than 4.6mil therefore he can mutually terminate his contract?? lol what kind of reasoning is this... i guess all the young guys out there are going to push for "mutual" termination when they outplay their cap hit lmao

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Provost said:

The Kings don't see Peterson's contract as an issue at all and will not be expending any assets to move him.

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I agree that there's no way that Arizona would agee to mutually terminate when they can easily get valuable assets in a trade. However, if Arizona does fail to trade him before the trade deadline and attempts to reinsert him in the lineup I wonder if the NHLPA might get involved in an effort to terminate the contract (if that's what Chychrun wants). 

lol holding a player out to prevent injury for trades and then nothing happens is not grounds for contract termination.. Arizona literally holds all the cards and there's absolutely nothing Chyrchrun and his agent can do except cry about it.. there's no clauses in any players contract that say if you hold a player out for trade reason you must trade him or we can file for contract termination.. nor is there a clause that say teams may not bench or have a player in the pressbox for however long they want as long as he's being paid. i don't even know where you guys all of a sudden gets the idea Chychrun can get the NHLPA to mutually terminate his contract if not traded lol.. they have to place chychrun on waiver for any teams to take him for free before they can even mutually terminate a contract lol. good luck getting the coyote to do that

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The Kings don't see Peterson's contract as an issue at all and will not be expending any assets to move him.

$5 million for a player in the minors on a capped out team facing a playoff run and trying to add at the deadline.

…. and they don’t see his contract as an issue?  Give your head a shake.