The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for Julien Gauthier, conditional 2023 7th-round pick

The Rangers, like I said before, is the model team how to do a rebuild right (perhaps even more so than Tampa).

They way they turned it around after that letter to their fans is pretty amazing.

They have elite players in every position (Fox, Panarin, Zibanejad, Shersterkin) and even reclamation projects like Jimmy Vesey has turned a corner.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol Larry also said that the Rangers were out on Motte because the price was “significantly higher than a 4th rounder”.

Maybe sit this one out Brooksy. :lol:

He did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers did look for another piece

Between Tarasenko, Mikkola, and Motte they've made some savvy additions at what I'd say are good prices

Their depth looks pretty damn solid, I do wonder if they may not look for an upgrade on Vesey though

Or an upgrade at 4C perhaps, Bjugstad for example would certainly give that fourth line some more size alongside Goodrow, Motte is great but he's not very big

https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/rangers

Edited by Coconuts

Motte's effectiveness and productivity as a player has gone surprisingly down since he left Vancouver.  Part of it is playing on Ottawa, but I think his problem has been staying healthy.  He is always injured.  But he is still a tenacious energy player who is worth his weight in work ethic.  He might not score but he'll put your team up on the powerplay.

26 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The Rangers, like I said before, is the model team how to do a rebuild right (perhaps even more so than Tampa).

They way they turned it around after that letter to their fans is pretty amazing.

They have elite players in every position (Fox, Panarin, Zibanejad, Shersterkin) and even reclamation projects like Jimmy Vesey has turned a corner.

Why? They missed on four very high picks. They have older guys leading that they didn’t draft. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

29 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Rangers model isn't a model teams can look to really replicate though

They robbed Ottawa in the Zibanejad trade

They had a future Norris winner who only wanted to be a Ranger 

They signed the highest end UFA forward in recent memory in Panarin 

They had a fourth round pick turn into a Vezina winner 

They had Trouba who wanted out of Winnipeg, but only to play somewhere in the US where it'd benefit his wife's career as a doctor

They won the lottery twice 

They have the benefit of playing in New York City, which sells itself 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Coconuts said:

Rangers model isn't a model teams can look to really replicate though

They robbed Ottawa in the Zibanejad trade

They had a future Norris winner who only wanted to be a Ranger 

They signed the highest end UFA forward in recent memory in Panarin 

They had a fourth round pick turn into a Vezina winner 

They had Trouba who wanted out of Winnipeg, but only to play somewhere in the US where it'd benefit his wife's career as a doctor

They won the lottery twice 

They have the benefit of playing in New York City, which sells itself 

And with their lottery picks they missed on all of them. Laugher, Krappo, Krapsoft, and Ander-silver. 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

We should have never let him go, to begin with. 

JR was determined, from Day One, to undermine Bruce Boudreau imo.

Bruce had that team running and Motter was a huge engine 3rd or 4th line, PK, etc.

JR & The Hitmen, again imo, and they're doin' a pretty good job; again, imo (i.e. I like a lot of what they've accomplished).

But throwing the core of the forward D away for a pick we still haven't used yet?

I think JR has connections and history with a Marchand of a lot of the big whales in this league.

For good or ill; and I'm on the side of GOOOOD!  Now work your magic on the BoG.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Let’s do what the rangers did to rebuild!

Step 1: Play in New York City

Damn…..

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why? They missed on four very high picks. They have older guys leading that they didn’t draft. 

This is true - some of their draft picks have been misfires.  But they have patiently developed some of their other picks into solid players.  Kakko, Schneider, Miller, and Chytil have all become key pieces of the team.  More importantly, some of their trades have been absolute fire.  Zibanejad plus a 2nd for Derrick Brassard?  And then Fox (who admittedly used the college free agent loophole) for a 2nd?  Imagine if Vancouver could get a 1st line centre and a Norris caliber D-man, and all you had to pay was an aging veteran plus a 2nd round pick.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This is true - some of their draft picks have been misfires.  But they have patiently developed some of their other picks into solid players.  Kakko, Schneider, Miller, and Chytil have all become key pieces of the team.  More importantly, some of their trades have been absolute fire.  Zibanejad plus a 2nd for Derrick Brassard?  And then Fox (who admittedly used the college free agent loophole) for a 2nd?  Imagine if Vancouver could get a 1st line centre and a Norris caliber D-man, and all you had to pay was an aging veteran plus a 2nd round pick.

This could be our year to really re-route the good ship Canuck.

Perhaps we get both 1st rounders and they both hit, and some of our more expendable players get traded, or off the books...

Then work the kinks out next year and draft high again; some lotto luck...

2005 Playoffs Perhaps??  Then contending after that.

Mama don't take my Kodachrome away yeah!

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And with their lottery picks they missed on all of them. Laugher, Krappo, Krapsoft, and Ander-silver. 

Nah Alf, Laffy and Kakko are 21 and 22 years old and playing good hockey on their third line. If you're gonna preach patience for our prospects you've gotta weigh that consideration for other young players around the league. Kakko's already hit a career high, Laffy will too. They're playing good hockey with Chytil. Just because they didn't step in as immediate stars doesn't mean they won't both end up being top six level players.

They also got a 2nd for Andersson so it's not as if they didn't identify their miss. They'll likely get something for Kravtsov, who turned 23 in December and who may very well turn out somewhere else. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That "Kid Line" of Laff-Chytil-Kakko is probably the best 3rd line in the NHL.  Boston's 3rd line might be better.  You are in over your head right now. 

Raggedy Andys’ suck pucks. And this evening young guys aren’t why the club wins games. They are all bustaroos! 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah Alf, Laffy and Kakko are 21 and 22 years old and playing good hockey on their third line. If you're gonna preach patience for our prospects you've gotta weigh that consideration for other young players around the league. Kakko's already hit a career high, Laffy will too. They're playing good hockey with Chytil. 

They also got a 2nd for Andersson so it's not as if they didn't identify their miss. They'll likely get something for Kravtsov, who turned 23 in December and who may very well turn out somewhere else. 

image.gif.db85573e6976f81c90ac7fd4604ec6f6.gif Rags’ four recent high picks. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

image.gif.db85573e6976f81c90ac7fd4604ec6f6.gif Rags’ four recent high picks. 

I know it's all in good fun but sometimes your schtick gets in the way of you talking hockey that doesn't involve the Canucks, which is a shame because I can tell you do pay attention to what goes on around the league. 

• Cheers 1