The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Toews releases statement -- dealing with symptoms of Long COVID and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome

Rate this topic

Since when re Larkin?  He's from Michigan and has always said he wants to stay there.  

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:  Dylan Larkin had a good line about what fellow All-Stars were saying to him in Florida: “Guys are asking why it hasn’t got done yet, stuff like that.” That tells you what you need to know, that his peers believe Larkin when he says he wants to be a Red Wing. 

Edited by mll

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Since when re Larkin?  He's from Michigan and has always said he wants to stay there.  

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts:  Dylan Larkin had a good line about what fellow All-Stars were saying to him in Florida: “Guys are asking why it hasn’t got done yet, stuff like that.” That tells you what you need to know, that his peers believe Larkin when he says he wants to be a Red Wing. 

I did not see that. Interesting. Everything is speculation. And what I had read and heard before the All Star break was they were having troubles re signing him and Steve Y playing his usual hardball tactics. So there is a lot of questions marks whether they get a deal done in time or not. I agree he is a home town kid and they have a leg up on retaining him, but that's pretty gutsy for a rebuilding team to just let him walk to free agency with no contract. That's a big risk. 

Who knows tho, maybe he does the rare trade to a contender then sign back with his home town team again?? Crazier things have happened.

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

I did not see that. Interesting. Everything is speculation. And what I had read and heard before the All Star break was they were having troubles re signing him and Steve Y playing his usual hardball tactics. So there is a lot of questions marks whether they get a deal done in time or not. I agree he is a home town kid and they have a leg up on retaining him, but that's pretty gutsy for a rebuilding team to just let him walk to free agency with no contract. That's a big risk. 

Who knows tho, maybe he does the rare trade to a contender then sign back with his home town team again?? Crazier things have happened.

He has an NTC.  They can't trade him without his accord.  Indication is that he also really wants to stay given where the team is at and his role on it as captain and C1.  They are starting to have quite a bit of talent and nearing the opening of a long window.  

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, mll said:

He has an NTC.  They can't trade him without his accord.  Indication is that he also really wants to stay given where the team is at and his role on it as captain and C1.  They are starting to have quite a bit of talent and nearing the opening of a long window.  

They definitely have an up and coming team. I sure wish we had a chance to draft Seider! They have good young pieces so I can definitely see him staying. He’s having a hell of a year. Wonder what that will cost them??

Sorry I forgot which thread we are in.

Back to wishing Toews best of luck or worst of luck healing from long covid.

Sucks no matter which way you spin it whether he deserves it or not. He has a family and they are suffering to I would imagine. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

He turned a blind eye on the horrible things happening to his teammate Kyle Beach, just so he could have a better chance at winning.

He's a horrible person.

I mean… no body knows what goes on behind the scenes 

• RoughGame 2

9 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

I mean… no body knows what goes on behind the scenes 

Well considering all the things that were said to Beach, it's reasonable some of them were within earshot of Captain Clown.  Additionally, he publicly supported Bowman after the report was made public.  Why would anyone respect this gutless coward?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

To me, it sounds like a poor excuse for his poor play but hey, I could be wrong. This guy is washed up and doesn't want to be "exposed" for being way over paid. I'd be surprised if he ends up signing another contract for even half of what he is getting now.

Edited by sneakystink
  • Wat 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, Coconuts said:

Hopefully he can heal up best he can, it'd be a shame if his career was ended by long Covid the way Sutter's was. You always like to see guys go out on their own terms. And I don't even care for Toews. 

All things considered I'd be a little surprised if he wound up playing for another NHL team at this point. 

I don't envy anyone having to live with this kind of ordeal. Not only is it a career killer, but it would affect home life as well. We certainly could've used Sutter's defensive prowess on the ice and his veteran presence in the locker room these past couple of seasons. 

I don't get the negative comments on Toews. D-bag? Jerk? "......pedophile loving sack of ****."? Is all this warranted??!?!?!??!!!??

Hopefully he can heal up best he can, it'd be a shame if his career was ended by long Covid the way Sutter's was. You always like to see guys go out on their own terms. And I don't even care for Toews. 

All things considered I'd be a little surprised if he wound up playing for another NHL team at this point. 

I don't envy anyone having to live with this kind of ordeal. Not only is it a career killer, but it would affect home life as well. We certainly could've used Sutter's defensive prowess on the ice and his veteran presence in the locker room these past couple of seasons. 

I don't get the negative comments on Toews. D-bag? Jerk? "......pedophile loving sack of ****."? Is all this warranted??!?!?!??!!!??

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

Stayed silent while fully knowing Kyle Beach was being abused. Deserves every bit of karma coming his way. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Add then publicly supported Bowman despite his criminal negligence. There's no reason for anyone to pretend to respect Captain Clown.

Kind of ironic he made those “expose them for what they really are” quotes after the Beach incident.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's looking more and more like Jonathan Toews' career is coming to an unfortunate end.

According to two sources, Toews is seriously considering retiring after the season.

Toews, who hasn't played since Jan. 28 at Edmonton, said in a statement on Feb. 19 that he is dealing with long-COVID symptoms as well as Chronic Immune Response Syndrome. The Blackhawks captain missed the entire 2020-21 season due to both illnesses.

To be sure, this isn't the way anyone wants to see one of the NHL's top centers of all time go out.

Toews deserves to be saluted one last time, so if he has made up his mind to retire then you'd hope it unfolds like this: He holds a news conference to announce the decision and (assuming he's healthy) says he will play in the final home game on April 13.

Now, what are the odds that happens? Difficult to say. After all, we almost never see a hockey player admit he's done during a season.

Toews has been around the team for about two weeks and has attended the last four home games.

Coach Luke Richardson said Toews was first in line to greet teammates in the locker room after their 5-0 victory over Ottawa at the United Center last Monday. Toews also nodded and uttered a quick "hi" to a few reporters as he walked past the dressing room after the team's 6-3 win over Boston on Tuesday.

"I know he's chomping at the bit to take the next step," Richardson said. "Just hopefully he gets there."

A Hawks spokesperson said Toews on Tuesday "respectfully declined" multiple interview requests. Internally, the team has made preparations to honor the future Hall of Famer if they get confirmation that he will indeed retire.

In January, Toews was asked to name the most difficult season of his career and almost said this one, but went with the 2021-22 campaign instead.

"It's definitely been challenging this year," he said. "But I'd say last year was really difficult in the way that we had much higher expectations."

Those expectations soared, in part, because Toews was returning after a year off. He struggled mightily at the start, however, and didn't score until Game 26.

Toews admitted he didn't feel like himself on the ice very often.

"It was a grind," he confessed.

He exploded out of the gates this season, with 8 goals and 5 assists in the first 17 games. He still looked pretty good in the next 27 contests, and notched 6 goals to go along with 9 assists.

Rest of the article: https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20230317/end-of-the-road-for-toews-blackhawks-captain-seriously-considering-retirement-sources-say

Definitely not a hall of famer like many people suggested he was, but nonetheless long covid is a real thing and 2 others have already retired including Sutter because of it. Great career though for Toews

Edited by Odd.