The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OK.CDC GM"s - Who is blinking next in the Eastern Conference (Discussion)

So, just looking for trade thoughts on 2 different races in the East.

With Toronto pulling the trigger on the O'Reilly trade, it seems like they have one upped the other top contenders.

Aka...........Boston, New Jersey, Tampa and Carolina.............Late add to the post........forgot Tarasenko and Motte to the Rangers

Anyone think they have to add a big name........or are they all standing pat?

Same thing at the bottom of the Conference, with the Islanders adding Horvat, do any of the teams vying for the 7 and 8 spots add?

Right now, there is Pittsburg, Islanders, Washington, Florida, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa, all fighting for those 2 last spots, only 5 points separating all of them with some of the teams having up to 4 games in hand...........pretty tight!

Any of those teams making moves?

Who blinks next?

Detroit fans say Larkin is staying, Toews is gone for the year with Long Covid recovery............who else is out there and available?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm surprised Penguins Capitals, Red Wings haven't made a move yet considering Islanders already did with Horvat and Rangers making a splash in the market. Who's next I'm betting on Canes or Bolts 

I bet Schenn goes back to Tampa....I bet the deal is done and they will wait as long as possible because of the baby........then after the trade, he will get special leave for a week....you watch!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • elephant 1

11 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm surprised Penguins Capitals, Red Wings haven't made a move yet considering Islanders already did with Horvat and Rangers making a splash in the market. Who's next I'm betting on Canes or Bolts 

The Pens and Capitals I think they are getting the realization their core is near the end of the line. That keeping status quo is fine, but if they were smart they'd try and start picking up new pieces to build around.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

I think it'll be Jersey next, probably by grabbing Meier. Which will leave teams like Carolina, Pittsburgh, and to a lesser extent Boston and Tampa scrambling. Could see Buffalo looking to add too, they're not that far out and they have tons of cap space. Washington too, they're still in it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

My guesses...

East Arms Race:

Meier --------> Devils

Boeser ------> Sabres

Domi ---------> Hurricanes

Athanasiou --> Penguins

Klingberg ----> Toronto

West Arms Race:

Chychrun ---> Kings

P Kane -----> Vegas

Gavrikov----> Stars

Johnson ----> Avalanche

Ghost --------> Oilers

Braun --------> Oilers

JVR ----------> Avalanche

Bjugstad ------> Stars

Korpisalo -----> Vegas

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

46 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

My guesses...

East Arms Race:

Meier --------> Devils

Boeser ------> Sabres

Domi ---------> Hurricanes

Athanasiou --> Penguins

Klingberg ----> Toronto

West Arms Race:

Chychrun ---> Kings

P Kane -----> Vegas

Gavrikov----> Stars

Johnson ----> Avalanche

Ghost --------> Oilers

Braun --------> Oilers

JVR ----------> Avalanche

Bjugstad ------> Stars

Korpisalo -----> Vegas

You missed one I think

Draft picks -----> Canucks 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I bet Schenn goes back to Tampa....I bet the deal is done and they will wait as long as possible because of the baby........then after the trade, he will get special leave for a week....you watch!

The NHL is a business,  if a deal was done then he'd be gone.  TB isn't going to wait for a baby. There are valuable opportunities to gain points in the standings that could mean crucial home ice or not (not to mention potential injury to Schenn). 

That said I am surprised Pittsburgh hasn't done anything yet. Their only in a WC position by 1 measly point and Crosby/Malkin/Letang are getting older every day.  Their biggest issue is literally half the roster has some sort of clause.  

I also expect:

-Vegas to do something unexpected,  because - Vegas.

-Dallas to do something because their one of the oldest teams in the league and their window ain't staying open long. Pavel-Ski is turning 39yo this summer.

-TB to do something because their old and their window is closing fast.

-Washington, see TB above. 

10 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yep me too.   And also bet they've said they'd re-sign him in the Summer ... win win win.   Hope so anyways. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The NHL is a business,  if a deal was done then he'd be gone.  TB isn't going to wait for a baby. There are valuable opportunities to gain points in the standings that could mean crucial home ice or not (not to mention potential injury to Schenn). 

That said I am surprised Pittsburgh hasn't done anything yet. Their only in a WC position by 1 measly point and Crosby/Malkin/Letang are getting older every day.  Their biggest issue is literally half the roster has some sort of clause.  

I also expect:

-Vegas to do something unexpected,  because - Vegas.

-Dallas to do something because their one of the oldest teams in the league and their window ain't staying open long. Pavel-Ski is turning 39yo this summer.

-TB to do something because their old and their window is closing fast.

-Washington, see TB above. 

Let's just say that there is a possibility that Tampa and Vancouver have an agreement in place for Tampa to take Schenn, if there is no better offer, and it will be tight to the deadline...........they do that for cap space, as it accumulates daily, so the longer they wait, the better. As for the understanding with Schenn, Tampa has a great relationship with Schenn, and I could easily see them giving him some extra time....as in 2 or 3 more days to report, above what the CBA says about time off.

21 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Let's just say that there is a possibility that Tampa and Vancouver have an agreement in place for Tampa to take Schenn, if there is no better offer, and it will be tight to the deadline...........they do that for cap space, as it accumulates daily, so the longer they wait, the better. As for the understanding with Schenn, Tampa has a great relationship with Schenn, and I could easily see them giving him some extra time....as in 2 or 3 more days to report, above what the CBA says about time off.

No way a responsible NHL GM does that imo.  What if you make an 'agreement' wt TB and a better offer comes along?  What if Schenn gets hurt?  Too many uncontrollable factors imo to be making 'agreements' with no guarantees?  You make a trade or you don't,  it's that simple. 

• There it is 1

26 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Why wouldn’t we just retain whatever the amount is on Schenn to accommodate the difference so he be traded now though? 

• Upvote 1