The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser to Winnipeg just makes too much sense for all three parties

On 2/21/2023 at 12:03 AM, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, I must be dumb or something........

I always thought the issue was that Boeser was over paid by a million for a 55 point winger

So we lower the price by a million, so he is not....................

Then you tell me that a 55 point winger is only worth 2 X 3rders

I guess maybe? But I am confused???

The percieved value of Boeser in general by many fans is that he holds negative value. They act like his contract is so massive we need to pay dearly to move him.

Obviously, he's not really playing to his salary - but he's still getting points, and I think we've seen enough from Boeser in the past to assume he will probably get back to form at some point. I agree with you: If we were to retain 1m, he's pretty average value for his production, plus he has upside. I PERSONALLY feel like he's worth those 2 picks without any retention at all. The fact he's still with us indicates I'm probably wrong.

• Cheers 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what are we getting back? If it's a late first rounder I'm ok with that.

Nobody is going to be paying a 1st for Boeser, unless you're retaining 50% of the salary for the contracts duration.

2 hours ago, Neutral said:

2 third round picks for a 50-60pt player and we retain 1m, hard pass from this fan!

Fair enough, I welcome people that agree and disagree to the conversation. 

What do you think we can get for Boeser if we retain 1 million per year for next two years? 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:03 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

So, I must be dumb or something........

I always thought the issue was that Boeser was over paid by a million for a 55 point winger

So we lower the price by a million, so he is not....................

Then you tell me that a 55 point winger is only worth 2 X 3rders

I guess maybe? But I am confused???

I think the term is also just as big of an issue. 

Most contending teams don't have the space to fit Boeser even with 1mil retained, and the teams lower in the standings aren't willing to give up picks for a guy who's production has been an issue. It makes more sense for those teams to spend that space acquiring picks, not spending them. 

That only leaves a small handful of teams with the space, and the window to be competitive, which means there is no bidding war... no reason to pay more than you need to, which isn't much at all. 

If there was a market for Boeser, he would have been moved by now. His agent has had permission to seek trades since December and it's been crickets.

He is effectively going to be a cap dump, whether we like it or not.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:22 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh it's all good, but on the subject of value of a 60 point winger we have to look at all other details that include his age, contract, and health.  

Brock is fairly young at 25, and given a small retention would have a contract that's decent for the acquiring team.  Health has been a concern.  

Now that I've laid it all out, I don't think that asking for their 2024 2nd round pick + 2023 3rd round pick would be too much if we do retain a bit. 

If there are only a handful of teams semi interested, we're not going to be coming from a point of strength in negotiations. 

Either we want the cap space and flexibility, and we sell Boeser for something like OP proposed, or we take a bad contract back to up the price. 

There is no scenario where we get high cost assets for an asset with 0 demand.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:51 PM, Paul-walker said:

No way we spent a 1st rounder to get him and that was a gamble and he didn’t even score 20+ goals. If we don’t get a first for him I say no

0% chance that happens for so many reasons.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:52 PM, Paul-walker said:

We can get a 2nd for shenn. So we need a first plus prospect + something else

Schenn provides positive value for his contract, Boeser doesn't. 

Defence have always had higher returns than wingers, especially when you factor in the price, and the term on Brock.

Those two assets are not the same, not even in the same category. 

On 2/21/2023 at 12:57 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Two third round picks? I think we can do a lot better and if we can't, I'd rather keep Brock. He's only 25, his best years may well be 27-32. I'd hate to think he becomes a 30+ goal scorer and we're left with a couple of thirds. If we had amazing late-drafting history then maybe, but we haven't, I don't see those third round picks materializing into anything spectacular. A couple of seconds and we're maybe talking but even then, they'll be late 2nds.

Why would you want to keep Brock at this point? The most important thing here is the cap space, more so than the 2x 3rd round picks.

Yes, he's only 25, but he's already lost the one part of his game that was elite. His shot. He doesn't possess any other skill that puts him ahead of the competition. He thinks the game well, but his skating doesn't allow him to capitalize.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:37 AM, IBatch said:

Seems pretty reasonable to me.   I'd ask for a good D prospect back too.   And change the 2024 into a second.   As for those that don't think this is a good deal, they could be right.   But the team structure is flawed.   And are going to need to spend on our D to fix it.    We can find UFA wingers in the 5-5.5 range that will get us 25/25 playing Brocks top six minutes, which he's going to need to get 30/30.   Brock doesn't score on the third line that much has been proven.   Requires top six and power play time to do his thing.   AB seems to have already meshed with EP.      We have at least one redundant winger.   And could afford to part with two.   PLD is an interesting future proposal.   Doesn't want to stay in WNP.    Sure would be nice to try and pry him out.   

There is 0% chance we get a 2nd and a good D prospect. I'd argue you don't get one of those without retaining 50% of brocks contract through its end.

I don't think you're getting a good enough Dman to move the needle, compared to having to eat that 3.2 million for additional years. 

We should be taking the best offer now and moving on, we have enough wing depth like you said to fill his slot, and the cap space is more important than the mediocre return. Brock isn't the same player he was in his rookie season, what we now is what we're going to get. A streaky player who needs a lot of top end talent around him to succeed. We have enough passengers on this team, the 6 mil is better spent on play drivers.