The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I'm not an NCAA follower, but which University does he play for? Too bad he wasn't 6'2", and 205. Great edges though.

Unfortunately, the guys with the really great edges, are not the guys who are 6'2", 205 lbs....

Need more of those as well though, guys who can punish.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, BCNate said:

NCAA, Europe, and non-tendered UFA's should be a major focus of the team this offseason.  We don't have as many picks as we would like to have, but can fill in some huge gaps.  Last year was a huge success picking up Kuz, Amann and Johansson, that is like adding a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.  

We should be all over everone, especially defensively, the opportunity to step in and play in the NHL next year, potentially with Quinn Hughes is a pretty big carrot to dangle.

He's from NCAA, sounds European, free agent, he certainly checks the boxes and yes we could use some more.

2. Sam Malinski, RHD, Cornell-ECAC: Malinski has been a top defenseman in college this season. He has excellent playmaking ability. He makes a lot of difficult passes in the offensive zone and has the ability to run a pro power play with his vision and shot. His skating is solid too and he can create with his skill and feet. Malinski isn’t the biggest defender but he competes well enough that I think he has a shot to be a good pro. -The Atheletic

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Good for the Canucks to be in on various NCAA free agents. Livingstone is probably the guy that most teams are after, but can't hurt to add other players like Malinski.

There's likely going to be room in Abbotsford for a couple new RHD. I'm sure these NCAA free agents are looking for the best NHL opportunity though, so that's probably not particularly attractive.

Free prospects are great, but I have a question for those who know more/better: are NCAA players as coveted as years past? I say this because it seems like more and more guys that are coveted are already pretty old, so I wonder if NCAA players are as impactful as they used to be?

• Cheers 1