The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

On 2/22/2023 at 8:50 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Unfortunately, the guys with the really great edges, are not the guys who are 6'2", 205 lbs....

Need more of those as well though, guys who can punish.

Why not get both?? Just offload the giraffe and his huge cap space.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:36 PM, Jester13 said:

Free prospects are great, but I have a question for those who know more/better: are NCAA players as coveted as years past? I say this because it seems like more and more guys that are coveted are already pretty old, so I wonder if NCAA players are as impactful as they used to be?

Definitely not an expert here on prospects in general, but with covid and everything it brought with it, I’m sure some guys didn’t progress ’normally’ and I’m sure scouts didn’t get to see them as much as before. 

41 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I trust this management will get him just like Kuzmenko. He will be offered a top 4 D position on a regular NHL roster and a team that has Hughes and Hronek and he will take it in a heartbeat. Canucks are a young up and coming team that is retooling quickly to become a playoff team. This is an attractive proposition for any college UFA.

I feel like you'd rather have a more two way guy alongside Hughes with some size. That's not really Malinski or Hronek. If any college kid is a fit for this team, it's Livingstone. 6'3 and has a more refined two way game than Malinski and Hronek. I wonder if the Canucks interest in this kid tapered off after the Hronek acquisition. Which wasn't in the cards when this rumour first popped up. I feel like Hronek takes that offensive minded RHD spot, while adding good but not great defensive play.

Won't say no to a free player though. I just don't know if they can promise this kid a top 4 spot when I'd rather promise it to Livingstone who fills a niche that Malinski doesn't. We already have smallish offensive minded players. Rathbone comes to mind, Hughes obviously.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I feel like you'd rather have a more two way guy alongside Hughes with some size. That's not really Malinski or Hronek. If any college kid is a fit for this team, it's Livingstone. 6'3 and has a more refined two way game than Malinski and Hronek. I wonder if the Canucks interest in this kid tapered off after the Hronek acquisition. Which wasn't in the cards when this rumour first popped up. I feel like Hronek takes that offensive minded RHD spot, while adding good but not great defensive play.

Won't say no to a free player though. I just don't know if they can promise this kid a top 4 spot when I'd rather promise it to Livingstone who fills a niche that Malinski doesn't. We already have smallish offensive minded players. Rathbone comes to mind, Hughes obviously.

At no point do I see interest in Livingstone tapering off. He will be their top NCAA target in April. Anxious to  see Hronek get some games to finish the season. I am sure they will pair him with Hughes for some games to see what they can do. Long term they will be split but there will be options. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At no point do I see interest in Livingstone tapering off. He will be their top NCAA target in April. Anxious to  see Hronek get some games to finish the season. I am sure they will pair him with Hughes for some games to see what they can do. Long term they will be split but there will be options. 

I hope they land Livingstone. We badly need the backend to be redone. Forwards are good - decent even - but the backend is, I think primarily the issue. I haven't been watching too many Canuck games recently (but been listening on the radio when I am free). How have the team looked? Have they looked more cohesive under Tocchet's system compared to Boudreau? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My wish list is for D add ons:

Petterssen (Pittsburgh for Boeser)

Livngstone

Tryamkin

keeping : Wolanin, Breisbois Burroughs

After watching Malinski again, I’d be equally happy if we signed him as Livingstone. I also read that Livingstone grew up a Flames fan, and I just can’t un-read that, haha.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

After watching Malinski again, I’d be equally happy if we signed him as Livingstone. I also read that Livingstone grew up a Flames fan, and I just can’t un-read that, haha.

Calgary is falling apart lol, 

hard to say what happens there in the off season.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Oh yeah, and they are so deep on D on paper.  I can’t see them providing a faster path to the NHL than us. Also Anaheim, who have 2 D signed for $8M+ next season, should be attractive for NCAA free agents

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

My wish list is for D add ons:

Petterssen (Pittsburgh for Boeser)

Livngstone

Tryamkin

keeping : Wolanin, Breisbois Burroughs

Tryamkin's not coming back here. We need to move on past that boat. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I can't believe how Calgary is falling apart. They have Markström in net, and a deep defense. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

If they keep Sutter I like our chances. Guy smothers and murders creativity. Look what he's done to Huberdeau. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can't believe how Calgary is falling apart. They have Markström in net, and a deep defense. 

Markstrom has done this before though,.  Gets hot,..   goes stone cold.… and like other times in his Career , I doubt if Tanev finishes the season healthy.

VDar (goalie) might be the saving grace if it’s truly about Markstrom..

But they’re “all in” for the playoffs ,.  

I can’t pin point, or really see where there should be a weakness with them..  perhaps just trying to do to much ? 

22 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Markstrom has done this before though,.  Gets hot,..   goes stone cold.… and like other times in his Career , I doubt if Tanev finishes the season healthy.

VDar (goalie) might be the saving grace if it’s truly about Markstrom..

But they’re “all in” for the playoffs ,.  

I can’t pin point, or really see where there should be a weakness with them..  perhaps just trying to do to much ? 

It's unfortunate that we couldn't get a draft pick for Markstrom, but we made the right decision in letting him walk and keeping Demko.

As much as Demko struggled early this season, he still has a better save percentage than Markstrom.

When Calgary did all their moves last summer, I said that I didn't think that they were anywhere near a lock to make the playoffs. Too much disruption, to much changed in their formula.

Now, they are locked into Markstrom long term, under performing as well as Huberdeau. Fans here complain about Boeser at 6.65 million, but Huberdeau is about to jump to 10.5  million per and Boeser has better numbers, even after breaking his hand in camp.