The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Livingstone for the Canucks.

His offensive ability may be somewhat limited at the NHL level, and his skating isn’t perfect, but there’s a ton to like about his overall game. And his size, strength, and work rate would be welcome additions to our defence. Worst case, he’s probably a solid 3rd pairing guy for us. Best case, he’s that dependable, two-way D who plays in the top-4, brings defensive stability and some size/physicality to a pairing, and backs up one of our smaller, more offensive minded guys (like Hughes).

Livingstone is also a year younger.

Malinski has more offensive upside, flash/creativity, better skating, and his two-way game is decent enough, but he’s definitely on the smaller side, and doesn’t fit or fill an obvious roster need quite the way Livingstone does (and even more so now that we’ve added Hronek).

I’d still happily take both, but if forced to choose just one, it’s Livingstone, probably by a long shot.

(For another team, I might have a different answer, and could easily pick Malinski, depending on the players on the roster and in the system.)

Thanks - always appreciate your takes

18 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/video-4-ncaa-free-agent-vancouver-canucks-target

Faber says we are extremely active with scouts travelling to watch these players now, and predicts we will sign Malinski

That’s great to hear. Faber doesn’t tend to make empty claims, so he must have heard something to suggest the Canucks are favourites for Malinski.

Hopefully they’re also on the short lists for the others mentioned in the article. I’ve been pumping tires on Hirose for quite some time and was hoping the Canucks would be looking at him as well as Livingstone. And Malinski is clearly a top tier free agent. Bengtsson also ranks high. That’s an excellent list of NCAA Dman targets for Vancouver. :) 

• Cheers 1

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That’s great to hear. Faber doesn’t tend to make empty claims, so he must have heard something to suggest the Canucks are favourites for Malinski.

Hopefully they’re also on the short lists for the others mentioned in the article. I’ve been pumping tires on Hirose for quite some time and was hoping the Canucks would be looking at him as well as Livingstone. And Malinski is clearly a top tier free agent. Bengtsson also ranks high. That’s an excellent list of NCAA Dman targets for Vancouver. :) 

Quads put him on the spot to predict how many the Canucks will sign. He volunteered to predict a specific player (Malinski), because of how many times he’s heard them linked t recently. He said Vancouver would do amazing to land 3 college FA’s total, but 2 would be ‘good’

Would be cool to land Hirose and Livingstone, and give them an opportunity to keep playing together…

6 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Quads put him on the spot to predict how many the Canucks will sign. He volunteered to predict a specific player (Malinski), because of how many times he’s heard them linked t recently. He said Vancouver would do amazing to land 3 college FA’s total, but 2 would be ‘good’

Would be cool to land Hirose and Livingstone, and give them an opportunity to keep playing together…

Hopefully we can convince a couple guys to take 2023-24 contracts and do AHL tryouts for the end of this season. 

Just so that we’re not as limited by contract slots.

I want the Canucks to sign all my faves. :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully we can convince a couple guys to take 2023-24 contracts and do AHL tryouts for the end of this season. 

Just so that we’re not as limited by contract slots.

I want the Canucks to sign all my faves. :lol:

spacer.png

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

To talk forwards for a change, Dhaliwal mentioned today that the Canucks are in on Max Sasson (Western Michigan).

He’s a 6’1” LH centre with good speed and a mature, complete game. Used in all situations and is a solid two-way player. Puts up decent points too (39 points in 35 games this season), but probably doesn’t have the top end skill to make that scoring translate at the next level. Still, he’d be a solid signing with legit NHL upside for the bottom-six. 

Youngish too, for the college guys, at 22 years old (but also has the option to return to college, since he’s a sophomore).

Wonder if his nickname would be Vidal? ;) 

I still can't believe those guys did an entire segment on the Vidal Sassoon shampoo.  I mean it was funny for 30 seconds, but they were even asking Craig Button about it...  :lol:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I still can't believe those guys did an entire segment on the Vidal Sassoon shampoo.  I mean it was funny for 30 seconds, but they were even asking Craig Button about it...  :lol:

Need more Sassoon segments like that. Gawd, those two are too funny. Always a highlight of my work day 10-12.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Cornell lost to Harvard last night. Will find out tomorrow if they’re selected to the playoffs 

It’ll be official tomorrow but we should know later today. Cornell is 14th in PairWise rankings. They should need just one of #5 Boston University, #6 Harvard, or #7 St. Cloud State to win their game today and that should all but guarantee Cornell’s selection. All three of these teams are favourites (ranked, 5, 6, and 7) and only one needs to win. But if their three underdog opponents (#13 Merrimack, #28 Colgate, and #31 Colorado College) each surprise and somehow manage to prevail today, it would bump #14 Cornell out of a selection spot for the 16-team tournament.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’ll be official tomorrow but we should know later today. Cornell is 14th in PairWise rankings. They should need just one of #5 Boston University, #6 Harvard, or #7 St. Cloud State to win their game today and that should all but guarantee Cornell’s selection. All three of these teams are favourites (ranked, 5, 6, and 7) and only one needs to win. But if their three underdog opponents (#13 Merrimack, #28 Colgate, and #31 Colorado College) each surprise and somehow manage to prevail today, it would bump #14 Cornell out of a selection spot for the 16-team tournament.

Thanks for breaking this down!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Thanks for breaking this down!

No problem.

Just to update, Cornell should now be in the national tournament (unofficially) after Boston University beat Merrimack and won Hockey East.

Harvard lost tonight (surprise upset by Colgate).

St. Cloud State just went up 2-0 over Colorado College.

Cornell only needed one win (from BU, Harvard, or St. Cloud) but looking like they’ll get two wins (BU and St. Cloud).

Also, Jake Livingstone’s team, Minnesota State (Mankato), just won the Mason Cup (CCHA) 3-2 in OT, so they have earned a spot in the national tournament.

Looks like we’re gonna have to wait a bit longer on the Cornell and Mankato free agents. They’ve still got some hockey left to play.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No problem.

Just to update, Cornell should now be in the national tournament (unofficially) after Boston University beat Merrimack and won Hockey East.

Harvard lost tonight (surprise upset by Colgate).

St. Cloud State just went up 2-0 over Colorado College.

Cornell only needed one win (from BU, Harvard, or St. Cloud) but looking like they’ll get two wins (BU and St. Cloud).

Also, Jake Livingstone’s team, Minnesota State (Mankato), just won the Mason Cup (CCHA) 3-2 in OT, so they have earned a spot in the national tournament.

Looks like we’re gonna have to wait a bit longer on the Cornell and Mankato free agents. They’ve still got some hockey left to play.

Cheers!