The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone feeling more confident in the plan or direction that management sort of set for this team?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

Maybe its just me but I am still confused as to what the management so far is trying to accomplish. I get what they got for Bo Horvat but maybe I am just shocked as to how low the value of some of the players we want traded has become. It's actually depressing. I just wish something could be done to improve our blueline beause its been a long time with the same group of players. I am pretty impatient right now just because I don't see how they improve it. It's a grind. A slow process I guess but man I thought this new management had some tricks up their sleeves but they just seem as exasperated as everyone else and they know its going to take way longer. Does anyone else feel confident in what's going on right now in terms of actually being able to be competitive in two years? I just don't see it. I just want to know everyone's confidence in this group right now?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

They claim they can turn this around in a few years.

How they are going to be able to overhaul this defense in that little of time especially with OEL's contract in the way, I have no idea.

That's the plan though, apparently.

So we'll see what they have in store.

This off season is the litmus test (to a degree).  

Myers/OEL were immovable last off season.  Myers has to go this off season. Bear was a nice add.  

Kuzy, Mikheyev, Aman, Joshua, Studnicka were good adds.

They doubled down on Miller and Boeser (to trade eventually but thats proving difficult).

More needed imo

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

They claim they can turn this around in a few years.

How they are going to be able to overhaul this defense in that little of time especially with OEL's contract in the way, I have no idea.

That's the plan though, apparently.

So we'll see what they have in store.

Buying out OEL this summer clears 7 mil off the cap for next season. It’s would should be done. We will see if our owner will sign off on that though. If he does. Hopefully he does. 

I think OEL and Myers have stalled the Canucks bringing in better D, so VAN has tried to compensate by bringing in younger, cheaper Ds wanting to prove themselves in Bear, Dermott and Stillman. It's Benning's fault for trading for OEL. Everyone knew this would happen, except him I guess. Everyone was just so excited they traded LEriksson it didn't register right away the burden they took on. I think it sunk in with me when ARI selected Guenther, and then OEL sucked.

I suspect Myers will be either traded or bought out in the off season. That should help create cap space to bring in a better RD.

As for OEL, who knows, could be another LEriksson. 

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think OEL and Myers have stalled the Canucks bringing in better D, so VAN has tried to compensate by bringing in younger, cheaper Ds wanting to prove themselves in Bear, Dermott and Stillman. It's Benning's fault for trading for OEL. Everyone knew this would happen, except him I guess. Everyone was just so excited they traded LEriksson it didn't register right away the burden they took on. I think it sunk in with me when ARI selected Guenther, and then OEL sucked.

I suspect Myers will be either traded or bought out in the off season. That should help create cap space to bring in a better RD.

As for OEL, who knows, could be another LEriksson. 

I don’t blame Benning for the OEL trade. I think Aquaman wanted to compete asap and forced Benning to make a big move. And tbh it wasn’t a bad trade. OEL had some great years earlier in his career and the possibility of a rejuvenation with a new team seemed like it had a shot and Garland seemed like a developing top 6 forward on a good contract. I think if this team was playing like they did when green got canned last year when Boudreau came in, no one would call this trade a bust because we’d be playoff bound. Unfortunately for us our organization is a constant train wreck. 

I expect to see an OEL buyout this summer followed by a Myers trade.

This trade deadline may produce less than people hope.  

Personally unless we get a 2nd for Schenn why trade him? Guys wife is due on deadline day. He's a good player and teammates like him.

Boeser trade may be impossible unless we retain significant money which then becomes stupid.

Summary:  They probably trade Schenn at the deadline for a 3rd and nothing more. Boo. No other trades are likely to happen.

They buyout OEL June 15 and trade Myers after his 5M bonus is paid this summer.

Then we slowly start to climb back. I expect Petey signs an extension in the summer which is great news.

Am I confident in this management group? More than Benning but less than Gillis.

They made a pretty good trade for Bo considering they backed themselves into a hole spending and spending and spending on the wing. 
I do not believe they have changed direction. They will be pushing for playoffs next season.

They are looking hard at any shortcut deals they can find. 
‘That’s what I believe until they show me something different. 

They're frankly so hit and miss that I feel any progress is more due to dumb luck in trial and error than any real plan.

For every Spencer Martin/ Ethan Bear/ Kuzmenko/ Mikheyev/ Beauvillier (former or current success) there's still a Garland/ Miller/ Myers/ OEL to deal with, and our direction also greatly relies on what we want to do with Boeser and Demko.  Until we know who they can add for the defense and whether TD stays or goes, I wouldn't say I'm confident that our back end would be any less of a tire fire, and a potent offense can only score their way out of so much trouble in their own zone.

• Tanks a lot 1