The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Kasperi Kapanen, Kevin Gravel

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

The Kasperi Kapanen that half of this Canuck fan base on these boards have been trying to trade for in the last couple years? Don’t need another overpriced bottom 6 winger!

He's not even good enough for the bottom 6.  The best place for him is the AHL, which is likely where he's going barring some idiot claiming him.

• Upvote 1

The Canucks should be all over kapanen IMO after he clears. His value could be restored and he could easily be traded for profit next deadline especially if Vancouver retains.

all this depending on Pittsburgh paying someone to take him.

a few deals that could make sense:

kapanen

for 

Myers 

both have negative value but both are NHL players just not worth their contract. Burke could like Myers size.

kapanen 

2nd 

4th

for 

Schenn 

1 pick for Schenn and 1 for dump 

kapanen 

2nd 

for 

Boeser 

kapanen 

1st 

for 

Schenn

Boeser (1M retained) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And Icetime too. I get these guys are professional athletes, but with injuries, we have WAY overplayed our top Dmen to try to remain competitive. Hughes and OEL logged stupid minutes in the first 2 month to avoid  3rd pair options. Myers got the same treatment when he started playing. These minutes are not sustainable for guys that should be 2nd pairing max (minus Hughes).

Not really sure why BB did the above; I thought the few games with Bris and Wolanin up in "normal" minute roles in december or november were some of our better defensive games....

And fatigue leads to 2 things… more injuries and errors

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

so that would be about $3m in cap savings for roughly the same production if they dump Boeser and pick up KK

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, 7 point difference and KK can skate circles around Boeser

I’ll give you the benefit of doubt but KK only has 20pts and Boeser has 37pts this season.

Also KK has been a perennial 30-40 pts player while Boeser is 45-55pt player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Kapanen clears waivers, then he can be moved and immediately assigned to another teams AHL team, I believe.

To Vancouver

Kapanen

Ty Smith

2023 1st Round Pick

To Pittsburgh

Boeser

Schenn

2023 4th round pick (Rangers)

IF that is an offer...don't even let the printer stop before signing; not going to happen. Forget about the AHL eligibility, I'd slot him in the top 9. Pearson,  Beauvillier, and him then become available for anything.... or keep all and they can bring back value at 2024 TDL.

I'd like to see us get active in looking at guys like Kapanen and Dreidger.  They were clearly waived in the hopes of opening up cap space.  

lets get a 2nd and prospect for each while sending an AHL deal the other way.

I personally feel that Kapanen would be better than Boeser or Garland, and would see a resurgence playing on our top 6 (somewhat like Beauvillier)

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd like to see us get active in looking at guys like Kapanen and Dreidger.  They were clearly waived in the hopes of opening up cap space.  

lets get a 2nd and prospect for each while sending an AHL deal the other way.

I personally feel that Kapanen would be better than Boeser or Garland, and would see a resurgence playing on our top 6 (somewhat like Beauvillier)

Boeser yes..Garland no. Effort matters, and Boeser shows little. Well, maybe some; hair is always perfect. We undervalue Garland here; he plays to his contract.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The Kasperi Kapanen that half of this Canuck fan base on these boards have been trying to trade for in the last couple years? Don’t need another overpriced bottom 6 winger!

I believe most of the folks had the Nucks bringing Kap back as a dump, so that the Pens would have enough salary

to take the player going back. 

Nucks need to be wiser about using up any remaining cap space unless they have a trade in mind that

reclaims cap.

4 minutes ago, therodigy said:

If Kapanen clears, I wonder if Vancouver takes him on for a 1st/2nd in exchange for future considerations? How would people feel about that?

I could definitely see that happening.

A player that management already likes and could really help Abby while rebuilding his game for next season.

Gotta be worth at least a 2nd since they’re freeing up around 2 mil this season and next if he’s in the minors.

37 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Boeser yes..Garland no. Effort matters, and Boeser shows little. Well, maybe some; hair is always perfect. We undervalue Garland here; he plays to his contract.

Garland has done better under Tocchet so far.  He still needs to be a near 50pt player to live up to his contract.  Hopefully he can up his goal scoring to be a consistent 20+ goals.

47 minutes ago, BPA said:

Garland has done better under Tocchet so far.  He still needs to be a near 50pt player to live up to his contract.  Hopefully he can up his goal scoring to be a consistent 20+ goals.

I want to see more Garland on the point. He's got  95mph shot and can act as a 2nd Hughes back there walking the line and darting around. Also it forces him to shoot from a better angle than the goal line. I'd like to see him used on PP2 there. He looked fantastic in that spot as the 6th attacker. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I want to see more Garland on the point. He's got  95mph shot and can act as a 2nd Hughes back there walking the line and darting around. Also it forces him to shoot from a better angle than the goal line. I'd like to see him used on PP2 there. He looked fantastic in that spot as the 6th attacker. 

I don't think Garland skates fast enough to defend if forced into doing that. He seems to be better suited for net front and puck retrieval. His recent improved play under Tocchet is nice to see.