The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Nash

There is nothing in the rules that says (that I know of) you can't trade injured players. It's usually just frowned upon because teams want playable assets back. But we are in the Cap world so...

Ryan Johansen just got shut down for 12 weeks due to a lacerated leg (thanks to Quinn Hughes) sooo...

Van gets Ryan Johansen and a 3rd (becomes a 2nd if Nash makes the playoffs, becomes a first if Nash wins one round...these conditions can be tinkered with)

Nash gets JT Miller

Van does it because:

-Johansen immediately goes on LTIR. Van gets $8 million or however much it would be in cap space.

-can use extra cap space to be 3rd wheel in trades to obtain more draft picks (seems to be the thing these days)

-gets out of a 7 year contract becoming only 2 years (much easier to buy out as well)

Nash does it because:

-Push for playoffs

-Miller > Johansen (based off points last 3+ years)

-Um...slightly young player? Like 8 Months.

Highly unlikely but just having some creative fun.

• Cheers 1

I don't understand why so many of our "fans" are bent on unloading Miller.  He's almost on a ppg pace (58 gp, 20 g 34 a, 24 ppp, 117 hits) and signed for a reasonable cap hit, albeit for 8 years.  If you take away those points, especially the ppp, and the snarl, you still need to replace all that.  Yes, it would be nice to have those stats from a 21 y.o. on an E.L. contract but that's unlikely to happen.  You still need vets to support the young guns.  imo Miller is a keeper unless you replace him with both quality AND quantity.

It won't happen but I'd do it, I'd rather have 8M in cap space freed up sooner than later. Johansen also makes for a fine stopgap at center, given he'll be 33 when his deal we could potentially even re-sign him to a short term deal if works out as a productive fit. But having the opportunity to simply walk away would be huge.

If anything his not being healthy right now would help us sink in the short-term. 

Edited by Coconuts

I hate to have to keep posting it everywhere but I want someone to explain why they think management is dumb enough to give Miller a contract, trade Horvat, move Miller to Horvat’s spot, then trade Miller? And on top of that why so many are so convinced Miller is nothing more than a cap dump right now. Only logical way I’d consider moving Miller is if the return was a young bonafide 2C that fits well within our age bracket. Basically someone further and already higher production than Raty. Then it might make some sense. I don’t think management is dumb enough to cap dump Miller or dump him for a player a few years older because they have a contract that expires sooner. Not to mention Miller is looking good under Tocchet. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Interesting. So you consider Miller a cap dump? 

Right.

This seems crazy. The guy has played very well and other teams would love to have him. Find it strange why all of a sudden he became the whipping boy when he does a lot of things right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, myre said:

Right.

This seems crazy. The guy has played very well and other teams would love to have him. Find it strange why all of a sudden he became the whipping boy when he does a lot of things right.

It's because a number of people on here really really wanted him traded for future magic beans that according to them would magically develop into key components of our team.  When management did the opposite, they can't let it go and continue to bash a nearly PPG player in his prime, playing a leadership role, standing up for teammates, and in general just playing good hard nosed hockey.  Not to mention by the end of his contract, he will likely be among the all time highest scorers this franchise has ever had.  So yeah, whiners will be whiners.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's because a number of people on here really really wanted him traded for future magic beans that according to them would magically develop into key components of our team.  When management did the opposite, they can't let it go and continue to bash a nearly PPG player in his prime, playing a leadership role, standing up for teammates, and in general just playing good hard nosed hockey.  Not to mention by the end of his contract, he will likely be among the all time highest scorers this franchise has ever had.  So yeah, whiners will be whiners.

That's a great point. Sure, With the direction the team is going in maybe it would have been more beneficial if he was traded for futures. However, that doesn't make him a terrible player. Like trading him as a cap dump. That's crazy! 

Edited by myre
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, myre said:

That's a great point. Sure, With the direction the team is going in maybe it would have been more beneficial if he was traded for futures. However, that doesn't make him a terrible player. Like trading him as a cap dump. That's crazy! 

Exactly! What would we do with the cap room?  We’d need to replace Miller. And that would cost assets in a trade or signing a UFA. Makes no sense to move Miller to just clear his cap. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! What would we do with the cap room?  We’d need to replace Miller. And that would cost assets in a trade or signing a UFA. Makes no sense to move Miller to just clear his cap. 

In my opinion, if ownership will allow a full rebuild then we let him finish out his contract and have young players learn and develop with Miller and similar players.