The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where's The Appreciation?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Preach it man. It pisses me off actually the way Petey and Hughes have been talked about in the past. I remember Quinn’s second year struggles. The threads made about his +/- were gross. He was 19/20 years old. Peteys contract season people wanted to send him to the minors or trade him. That he was selfish etc. I remember a lot of these posters. I don’t forget.

I would love Bedard on this team but where is the respect for Petey and Hughes. I still don’t see it. Quinn leads the team in +/- on an absolute dumpster fire team. Yet he’s a liability in his one end. C’mon. 

Rant over 

Letting Tanev go was a huge mistake. Complimentary partners for number D are not so easy to find. And Tanev is one of the best. Hughes has carried poor partners (really #7 guys) and made them appear a lot better than they really are. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Letting Tanev go was a huge mistake. Complimentary partners for number D are not so easy to find. And Tanev is one of the best. Hughes has carried poor partners (really #7 guys) and made them appear a lot better than they really are. 

I think it's mutual for Hughes I'm sure he appreciates having Schenn on the ice with him taking care of the elements Hughes doesn't exactly excel at. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Enough gushy crap.  This team sucks, man.  Pettersson is the clear-cut leader of this team, but he's going to demand way more success than where we are.  Do you want to know how many current Canucks players were actually drafted by us during the dog years?  Boeser, Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  That's it.  Two playoff appearances in a decade, and we only have six drafted players on our current squad.  Would you like to know how many Penguins skaters drafted by Rutherford/Allvin still play for Pittsburgh?  With Kapanen on waivers, the answer is now zero.  That's the new replacing the old - a management team that's actually worse than Benning at drafting.

In any case, I'm surprised people still care about plus-minus on a team that has the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE LEAGUE.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think it's mutual for Hughes I'm sure he appreciates having Schenn on the ice with him taking care of the elements Hughes doesn't exactly excel at. 

Hughes makes Schenn appear much better than he really is. Other teams know the Hughes’ effect, and that’s why Schenn isn’t really worth a whole heck of a lot. 

Recently Bear has been partnered with Hughes, and now he looks much better. Hughes is a phenom. But he’s restricted in what he can do offensively (5 on 5) because of his partners. Tanev allowed Hughes to be more offensive. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who cares? Stop living in the past. 

Obviously, mistakes were made. But it's insane to keep repeating what should have been. 

Appreciate the fact that we have Petey, Hughes and some other potentially powerful pieces to the puzzle. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Petey is one of the best young players in the game, & a budding superstar. In Nov, 2018 I made a (Would U?) proposal, asking if you would trade him 1-for-1 for ANYone(including McD) in the league. Go back 89 pages in the proposal section..comments are now closed, but it sure is there. I still stand by the sentiment. To think we've had this bloke for 3 ELC yrs, then a bridge of 3 x 7 is a true blessing.

Then there's QH, who impresses me more with each passing season. In goal, would say TD showed his true colours in the Lost Wages series..but his health has simply been a misfortune.

We constantly slag JB..yet the guy drafted these 3 key pieces, that in 5 decades prior, seems no GM could land. Yes his hyperactive over-signings botched things up. But we should keep in mind how these cornerstones were finally acquired.

So much salivating over Bedard. Sure it'd be wonderful to luck-out & land this kid. Personally feel the lotto's a rigged deck, & the league'd never allow it..whatever.

Maybe it's simply high time we truly appreciate the young stars we have. Accept the previous gaffes, & look forwards optimistically. With the pieces in place, proper development of youth, & cap opening soon, we should be on the upswing in fairly short order.

Seems like appreciation is impossible if one can never live in the moment.

I want Petey to win a cup with us. Having Bedard certainly doesn't hurt ;)

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah - so why does +/- matter when a penalty is as good as giving up a goal?

A year like this one makes you appreciate what Benning tried to do with the Beagle’s and Roussel’s of the world to shore up our PK.  The challenge for this management team is to find the low cost versions of those types of players.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

A year like this one makes you appreciate what Benning tried to do with the Beagle’s and Roussel’s of the world to shore up our PK.  The challenge for this management team is to find the low cost versions of those types of players.

Beagle and Roussel were serviceable players, but those contracts were too good to refuse.  Even more so for Poolman, who would've probably had to try out for a team that fall.

Curtis Lazar is the obvious example of an effective defensive forward who signed for cheap.  Anything under $1.75M/yr for obvious bottom six FWDs is fine with me.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Enough gushy crap.  This team sucks, man.  Pettersson is the clear-cut leader of this team, but he's going to demand way more success than where we are.  Do you want to know how many current Canucks players were actually drafted by us during the dog years?  Boeser, Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  That's it.  Two playoff appearances in a decade, and we only have six drafted players on our current squad.  Would you like to know how many Penguins skaters drafted by Rutherford/Allvin still play for Pittsburgh?  With Kapanen on waivers, the answer is now zero.  That's the new replacing the old - a management team that's actually worse than Benning at drafting.

In any case, I'm surprised people still care about plus-minus on a team that has the WORST PENALTY KILL IN THE LEAGUE.  

Benning was good at drafting.  You can fault him for trading away draft picks, that's fair.  

Anyways I think OP said the exact same thing as you, just with a different outlook.  He even didn't include Boeser, Silovs, and Podkolzin.  Just the most important three players that Canucks can/should build on: Hughes, Petey, and Demko.  

It's all about perspective, and outlook. 

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I want Petey to win a cup with us. Having Bedard certainly doesn't hurt ;)

Getting a pick from 5th overall to about 10th overall can guarantee us the best RHD prospect of this draft class, or an almost sure-fire 2nd line center of the future.  

Just saying that they're a reason to be happy with more then just the four picks of the draft.  The top four are varying degrees of potential superstars/stars though.