The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Cost of Pierre-Luc Dubois

Dubois is having a breakout year for the Winnipeg Jets, 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points in 58 games. He put up 28 goals and 32 assists for 60 points in 82 games last season. 

He's big, strong, and he'll be 25 in June. He's a very important player for the Jets, but can they afford to keep him? Will he want to stay in Winnipeg? He'll be a pending RFA at the end of the season and I don't recall seeing much lately about the negotiations between both parties. What if he doesn't? There was all the hubbub about him wanting to be a Hab but they've locked down Suzuki and are in the mix for yet another lottery pick. They also went out and grabbed Dach.

What would it cost to acquire such a player? Jets have a hard time attracting, and sometimes retaining, players. Would they have any interest in a JT Miller with a pending extension? What else would it take on top of that? Because of course it'd take more. Scheifele is up next season, due to for a raise, so is Hellebuyck. Wheeler is old but productive, the rest of the Jets top players are prime aged veterans. Jets have to look to the future but I don't see them wanting to rebuild. 

What would an extension cost us in terms of dollars and cap space? Would we be able to get a more palatable deal than the Jets given he'd be based out of Vancouver instead of Winnipeg? 

If we could somehow wrangle Dubois and extend him we'd have an amazing 1-2 punch down the middle. Dubois is big, strong, talented offensively, and young. An eight year extension would take him to almost 33, you'd get all of his prime and it wouldn't bleed into his later 30's. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dubois is having a breakout year for the Winnipeg Jets, 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points in 58 games. He put up 28 goals and 32 assists for 60 points in 82 games last season. 

He's big, strong, and he'll be 25 in June. He's a very important player for the Jets, but can they afford to keep him? Will he want to stay in Winnipeg? He'll be a pending RFA at the end of the season and I don't recall seeing much lately about the negotiations between both parties. What if he doesn't? There was all the hubbub about him wanting to be a Hab but they've locked down Suzuki and are in the mix for yet another lottery pick. They also went out and grabbed Dach.

What would it cost to acquire such a player? Jets have a hard time attracting, and sometimes retaining, players. Would they have any interest in a JT Miller with a pending extension? What else would it take on top of that? Because of course it'd take more. Scheifele is up next season, due to for a raise, so is Hellebuyck. Wheeler is old but productive, the rest of the Jets top players are prime aged veterans. Jets have to look to the future but I don't see them wanting to rebuild. 

What would an extension cost us in terms of dollars and cap space? Would we be able to get a more palatable deal than the Jets given he'd be based out of Vancouver instead of Winnipeg? 

If we could somehow wrangle Dubois and extend him we'd have an amazing 1-2 punch down the middle. Dubois is big, strong, talented offensively, and young. An eight year extension would take him to almost 33, you'd get all of his prime and it wouldn't bleed into his later 30's. 

I don’t think he’s ruled out extending long term in Winnipeg, especially with the season he’s having.  That said if he doesn’t there are still a lot of rumblings over him ending up in Montreal. So I don’t know that paying the price to get him for a year would be worth the risk. Yes. Montreal has Suzuki and Dach.  But Dach showed amazing chemistry as a winger with Suzuki and Caufield earlier in the seafront, so I don’t think them being locked up would be a deterrent to him going to Montreal. 

The idea of having Dubois excites me. I really thought we were gonna get him in 2016 but Columbus took him. Right pick anyway would’ve been Tkachuk in hindsight.

The thing is, he’s going to cost the same amount as Horvat, perhaps slightly more. But we’d need confirmation he signs with us and doesn’t bolt to Montreal.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bo Horvat

We don't have one of those to trade anymore unfortunately.. 

Pettersson ain't touchable, it'd have to be Miller+. 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think he’s ruled out extending long term in Winnipeg, especially with the season he’s having.  That said if he doesn’t there are still a lot of rumblings over him ending up in Montreal. So I don’t know that paying the price to get him for a year would be worth the risk. Yes. Montreal has Suzuki and Dach.  But Dach showed amazing chemistry as a winger with Suzuki and Caufield earlier in the seafront, so I don’t think them being locked up would be a deterrent to him going to Montreal. 

Winnipeg would need a center that could help the roster as soon as next season though, if you look at the age group of their top players they're all prime aged. Futures help them down the road, prospects are great, but they'd more than likely want help sooner than later. 

Unless Montreal is willing to move Suzuki I have a hard time seeing them being able to provide Winnipeg with such a center. 

But yes, there's absolutely the chance he just re-ups in Winnipeg.

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The idea of having Dubois excites me. I really thought we were gonna get him in 2016 but Columbus took him. Right pick anyway would’ve been Tkachuk in hindsight.

The thing is, he’s going to cost the same amount as Horvat, perhaps slightly more. But we’d need confirmation he signs with us and doesn’t bolt to Montreal.

Having an agreement in place would absolutely be key to any Dubois trade, no question. I'd give up a Horvat caliber package for him if we could get an extension hammered into place. 

Edited by Coconuts

They'd better lock him up long term.  He looks like he's heading for 34 goals and 78 points this season.  That's Boho money and tops on the club.  The thing is, they may be able to absorb that increase cap wise.  With Wheeler at 36 and signed for 2 more years I don't see why they don't try to re-sign him.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

They'd better lock him up long term.  He looks like he's heading for 34 goals and 78 points this season.  That's Boho money and tops on the club.  The thing is, they may be able to absorb that increase cap wise.  With Wheeler at 36 and signed for 2 more years I don't see why they don't try to re-sign him.

He has to want to stay though, and he's a pending RFA at the end of the season. If he doesn't plan on sticking around in Winnipeg they'll have no choice but to trade him. 

There's no question they'd likely prefer to retain Dubois though. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We don't have one of those to trade anymore unfortunately.. 

Pettersson ain't touchable, it'd have to be Miller+. 

Winnipeg would need a center that could help the roster as soon as next season though, if you look at the age group of their top players they're all prime aged. Futures help them down the road, prospects are great, but they'd more than likely want help sooner than later. 

Unless Montreal is willing to move Suzuki I have a hard time seeing them being able to provide Winnipeg with such a center. 

But yes, there's absolutely the chance he just re-ups in Winnipeg.

Having an agreement in place would absolutely be key to any Dubois trade, no question. I'd give up a Horvat caliber package for him if we could get an extension hammered into place. 

I’m suggesting that PLD might just take a 1 year deal (no matter where he is) then bolt to Montreal the following season when he hits UFA 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m suggesting that PLD might just take a 1 year deal (no matter where he is) then bolt to Montreal the following season when he hits UFA 

Maybe, but I wouldn't make a PLD trade without an extension having been worked out. Same likely goes for any other team. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

This trade never happens -- Dubois 24 - 6'3 - 205 -- #1 centre --Jets will try and lock him up 8 years X 9.5 million

If Jets can't lock him up this summer they will call Montreal...

No way do Jets want 30 yr old Miller this summer at 7 yrs X 8 million..

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

This trade never happens -- Dubois 24 - 6'3 - 205 -- #1 centre --Jets will try and lock him up 8 years X 9.5 million

If Jets can't lock him up this summer they will call Montreal...

No way do Jets want 30 yr old Miller this summer at 7 yrs X 8 million..

And why would the Habs give up anything of real value for a guy they know they will get as a UFA in one more year, especially when they are in tank mode? The Jets will have to pay over 10 per and still PLD will leave. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We will get one of Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson, so no need for PLD.  Trust me, it's gonna happen...

Love to get one of those three and then use the Islanders’ pick to trade for a young partner for Hughes. For me that’s a huge draft day win. We turn Bo into Beau, a young centre (Raty) and a young D (?) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Love to get one of those three and then use the Islanders’ pick to trade for a young partner for Hughes. For me that’s a huge draft day win. We turn Bo into Beau, a young centre (Raty) and a young D (?) 

That is what I hope as well.  If we can land one of those three guys, then we can go all out and use the NYI pick plus some other assets to get that stud RHD to partner Hughes for the next decade...

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We do not want players like that. He is playing for a contract nothing else. Stir clear, Run away, The next Louis is near!

I think the Jets might be interested in Miller because he is under contract long term and signing free agents there can,t be easy. PLD is probably not the player we want back if he is set on playing in MTL but maybe a 3-way deal with that Jack high wifi kid coming back would be possible?

I think the best thing you can hope for is that PLD still wants out of WPG/has no interest going long term with them. Chevydayoff is a scrooge so pressure to make a deal helps.

Horvat got a 1st, good prospect and roster player.  So Id guess a 1st, top prospect and sweetner if WPG’s hand is forced.