The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Cost of Pierre-Luc Dubois

as good of a player as PLD is i wouldn't even consider him.. he already held his last team hostage by demanding a trade out when columbus was decent.. stated his desire wanting to play in Montreal.. good chance he'll do the 1 year qualifying offer and bolts to montreal if they are willing to offer what he wants in contract.. or signs with winnipeg for 8 years are max money he can get.. and then a year or 2 later demand a trade again and abuse his NTC.

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Dubois is having a breakout year for the Winnipeg Jets, 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points in 58 games. He put up 28 goals and 32 assists for 60 points in 82 games last season. 

He's big, strong, and he'll be 25 in June. He's a very important player for the Jets, but can they afford to keep him? Will he want to stay in Winnipeg? He'll be a pending RFA at the end of the season and I don't recall seeing much lately about the negotiations between both parties. What if he doesn't? There was all the hubbub about him wanting to be a Hab but they've locked down Suzuki and are in the mix for yet another lottery pick. They also went out and grabbed Dach.

What would it cost to acquire such a player? Jets have a hard time attracting, and sometimes retaining, players. Would they have any interest in a JT Miller with a pending extension? What else would it take on top of that? Because of course it'd take more. Scheifele is up next season, due to for a raise, so is Hellebuyck. Wheeler is old but productive, the rest of the Jets top players are prime aged veterans. Jets have to look to the future but I don't see them wanting to rebuild. 

What would an extension cost us in terms of dollars and cap space? Would we be able to get a more palatable deal than the Jets given he'd be based out of Vancouver instead of Winnipeg? 

If we could somehow wrangle Dubois and extend him we'd have an amazing 1-2 punch down the middle. Dubois is big, strong, talented offensively, and young. An eight year extension would take him to almost 33, you'd get all of his prime and it wouldn't bleed into his later 30's. 

13 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think he’s ruled out extending long term in Winnipeg, especially with the season he’s having.  That said if he doesn’t there are still a lot of rumblings over him ending up in Montreal. So I don’t know that paying the price to get him for a year would be worth the risk. Yes. Montreal has Suzuki and Dach.  But Dach showed amazing chemistry as a winger with Suzuki and Caufield earlier in the seafront, so I don’t think them being locked up would be a deterrent to him going to Montreal. 

He is only going to play in Montreal imo. Absolutely great for Montreal moving forward. Terrible for Winnipeg that he played his hand the way he did last off season.