The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vitali Kravtsov | #91 | RW

-AJ-

Observations from statistical analysis:

*Note that all of these are from his NHL experience unless noted*

- TOI suggests he's a bottom six forward currently

- Has shown skills to be a top six forward at KHL level based on 13 points in 19 games last year

- Tall, but lanky at 6'3", 186 pounds

- Currently produces at an underwhelming 15-20 point rate in 82 games

- Ice time has dropped in 2022-23 compared to 2020-21

- Very non-physical with only 2.06 hits per 60. Only Kakko and Panarin hit less among Rangers forwards

- Mediocre shot-blocking frequency

- Hasn't drawn a single penalty all year, though also takes very few penalties as well

- No PK time at all

- Tiny bit of PP time and decent results in that time--more of a backup on the PP than a regular on either unit

- Satisfactory puck possession metrics, but not overly impressive

- No shootout attempts in his career

- Hasn't played in the AHL since 2019-20--has played in the KHL instead since and last played there in 2021-22.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't hold out much hope, but at the same time he cost us effectively nothing and at least has a better chance of working out than Lockwood.

This last part of the season is pretty ideal to find out if he has any potential to be a real player or not.  Give him some top 6 time and enough minutes with better linemates to see what happens.  Probably not better than Garland/Podkolzin/Hoglander... but maybe.  The guys like this who have just been with one team or coach are better bets than guys who have bounced out of several teams.  It could just be he didn't get a chance or mesh with their team.

Do this a dozen times with similar pedigree players and maybe you unearth a gem.  As long as the acquisition cost is minor, why not. 

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Observations from statistical analysis:

*Note that all of these are from his NHL experience unless noted*

- TOI suggests he's a bottom six forward currently

- Has shown skills to be a top six forward at KHL level based on 13 points in 19 games last year

- Tall, but lanky at 6'3", 186 pounds

- Currently produces at an underwhelming 15-20 point rate in 82 games

- Ice time has dropped in 2022-23 compared to 2020-21

- Very non-physical with only 2.06 hits per 60. Only Kakko and Panarin hit less among Rangers forwards

- Mediocre shot-blocking frequency

- Hasn't drawn a single penalty all year, though also takes very few penalties as well

- No PK time at all

- Tiny bit of PP time and decent results in that time--more of a backup on the PP than a regular on either unit

- Satisfactory puck possession metrics, but not overly impressive

- No shootout attempts in his career

- Hasn't played in the AHL since 2019-20--has played in the KHL instead since and last played there in 2021-22.

Man I thought I have been negative lately. 
Sounds like a project player.   Good size, good speed, good pedigree, needs work. 
Would actually like to see him in Abby back at C which I believe he was prior to draft. 

Low-cost acquisition, I'm not really expecting much. He's waivers eligible and if he can't hack it here other teams would get a crack at him, which wouldn't be the end of the world if he doesn't amount to much. 

Maybe he turns into something here, he'll certainly be given a chance to. 

• Cheers 1

From Elite Prospects;

A big, skilled winger that can play up and down the lineup and provide scoring in a number of roles. He brings grit and physical size, but could be more assertive in throwing his weight around more. Displays excellent speed on the rush and in zone entry, but could backcheck quicker. Plays well in his own end and takes away lanes. Very good hands and awareness. Kravtsov has the potential to develop into a staple top six forward that can produce at the next level. [EP]

I think he'll be a more motivated player here for 2 main reasons:

1.  The Russian connections available here from Kuz to Mik to Podz to even Gonchar.

2.  He'll probably want to show the NYR what they lost out on.  What better way than to become a successful top 6 forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I don't hold out much hope, but at the same time he cost us effectively nothing and at least has a better chance of working out than Lockwood.

This last part of the season is pretty ideal to find out if he has any potential to be a real player or not.  Give him some top 6 time and enough minutes with better linemates to see what happens.  Probably not better than Garland/Podkolzin/Hoglander... but maybe.  The guys like this who have just been with one team or coach are better bets than guys who have bounced out of several teams.  It could just be he didn't get a chance or mesh with their team.

Do this a dozen times with similar pedigree players and maybe you unearth a gem.  As long as the acquisition cost is minor, why not. 

I've seen 3 posters say pedigree

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedigree#:~:text=%3A a table or list showing,breed recorded by a pedigree

I don't see that that is the appropriate use of the word

Do Jake and Oli have pedigree as well?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I've seen 3 posters say pedigree

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedigree#:~:text=%3A a table or list showing,breed recorded by a pedigree

I don't see that that is the appropriate use of the word

Do Jake and Oli have pedigree as well?

It refers to his draft position.  It is a correct usage of the word.

• the background or history of a person or thing, especially as conferringdistinction or quality.
    "the scheme has a long pedigree"

Knowing The More You Know GIF by Joey Bada$$
  • Cheers 1