The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vitali Kravtsov | #91 | RW

-AJ-

91 and 92 look like twins out there, with the same hair flowing out the sides of their helmets.

It's a great move pairing these guys up, as nobody is going to be floating with Podz on their line. How could you?

Krav really hasn't shown a whole lot yet, but the effort level has been good.

• Like 2

"A big, skilled winger that can play up and down the lineup and provide scoring in a number of roles. He brings grit and physical size, but could be more assertive in throwing his weight around more. Displays excellent speed on the rush and in zone entry, but could backcheck quicker. Plays well in his own end and takes away lanes. Very good hands and awareness. Kravtsov has the potential to develop into a staple top six forward that can produce at the next level." Elite Prospects

Pretty much as described but (so far) not seeing much offence, but I think it will come.  I think the matchup of Podz

and Kravs will turn out very well for the Canucks in time.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Hoping that they turn into a modern day "Crash and Bash" forward pair to go with whoever is their centreman.  ::D

Yup. Kravtsov is a lot more engaged physically than I expected. He’s thinking too much though. As he learns the way the coaches expect him to play, I see him playing faster. Big, skilled, and physically engaged is a good starting point. 

Honeymoon period is over. He needs to bear down and produce. His defensive game is decent, seems better than Podz (who keeps on passing into the middle in his own zone).but he hasn't been able to score.

I wonder about VK's passion for the game. Does he even like hockey? He seems to be a guy, who's always been good at hockey but doesn't love hockey. That's the vibe I get.

Based on his first interview, he seemed less mature than the younger Podkolzin and it wasn't a good first impression. All these 'I don't knows', even though he's been playing in the media capital of the world.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:39 PM, Makaramel MacKhiato said:

Guy is just the 2nd coming of Valeri Nichuskin... except Kravstov was taken 1 spot higher... 

Yes. I seen a lot of ppl trashing and giving up on him on Canucks Twitter. And I instantly thought of Nichushkin. 

Lets not give up too fast on this player. Nich is good but I think Kravstov has more raw talent.

4 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Now I understand why the return was so underwhelming for a top 10 pick.  Again nothing but zeros on his stat line.  Early days but I’m not holding my breath.

Valeri Nichushkin had zero goals in 57 games with the Stars. Then Sakic signed him for 850k and got 25 goals and won a cup with him.

If all we did was look at the stat line over a hand full of games, then a lot of players wouldn't have made the team. Young Ryan Kesler as an example. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

I thought last night was his best game in Van. He's surprisingly good defensively and last night he finally showed some offensive flashes.  I expect they'll keep him in the fold for next year, hopefully he can realize his potential 

• Cheers 1

Kravtsov.....is the 'v' silent???!???!? Anywho..................

So many changes in the locker room this season. Tocchet and company arriving in the latter part of this season is also a dramatic change. For all involved actually. Also there could be more troops added to the fold as early as next week (Possible NCAA acquisition) as well as any off season changes sure to happen.

Tocchet's suggestion of off season training for the players is paramount for next season's success. Plus all these newbies we've acquired will get a full training camp, coaches inclusive. (They're new too!) After such, we'll know what we have and charge into battle from there. 

Back to Kravty......You know.....he might turn out to be the same dud as he was in NY. But dare I say, he's NOT there anymore. I'm sure he views being in Vancouver as a 180 degree turnaround for him, as I feel management figured it was part and partial to the possible positives they see in him to come out.

Most certainly a summer conditioning stint with Tocchet in tow, and a full training camp will impress well with the young lad. I'm positively hopeful. If it turns out that he needs a stint with Abbotsford, I'm all for that too. I don't know Kravty's personality or demeanour, but I'm sure he'll go with what management recommends for him. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 4:46 AM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yes. I seen a lot of ppl trashing and giving up on him on Canucks Twitter. And I instantly thought of Nichushkin. 

Lets not give up too fast on this player. Nich is good but I think Kravstov has more raw talent.

What does Kravtsov and Nichushkin have anything to do with each other other than being Russians? So Aman is going to trend like Naslund? 

/facepalm. 

24 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I don't know. To me, he's too often making these long passes to guys in the wrong colored shirts.

He's technically a reclamation project and still needs to be polished. The raw talent is there and he is engaged and working hard - that's the difference between those who end up turning it around and those who don't. If he spends the rest of the season learning the systems and adapting to the off-ice stuff, I can really see him and Podz being a solid 3rd line that can score and move up the line-up seamlessly. 

15 hours ago, Drakrami said:

What does Kravtsov and Nichushkin have anything to do with each other other than being Russians? So Aman is going to trend like Naslund? 

/facepalm. 

It's not that difficult to understand the comparison in terms of a young struggling player rediscovering their game with a new team. It was not long ago a players nationality was used to pigeonhole their play style or potential.

Soft Euro's

Lazy Russian

North American game

Etc...

So to use these outdated terms, Nichushkin and Kravtsov would probably be desribed with the "LR" tag: Taller players with stick skills, but maybe lacked some drive and defensive IQ.  Maybe the language barrier is a detriment to a young players confidence, and as his English gets better so will his confidence.

The comparison in situation is not that different from Nichushkins, and Kravstov definitely has the potential to play up to Nichushkins level, confidence and patience willing.

• 4 weeks later...