The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - MTL - Winnipeg (Proposal)

Ok, Winnipeg has a problem in that Dubois wants out and can force a trade, by signing a 1 year deal with Winnipeg. He just simply wants out and Mtl wants him, but does not really have what Winnipeg needs, because to do so would totally weaken their rebuild, albeit they would get Dubois, but Winnipeg is not going to want futures, as they are in a win  now mode, while their core is still competitive. Vancouver is in a slightly different position and is not competing now. So this is what I propose, and IMO, involves a over-payment by us.

To Mtl............................Dubois and Lekkimakki

To Winnipeg..................JT Miller and 2026 conditional 1st (Top 10 protected )

To Vancouver.................Dach and a conditional 2023 6th OA, with the Canucks having the choice of Florida's 2023-1st or MTL's 2024 unconditional 1st

This is a Huge over payment by Vancouver, and once you stop puking, hear me out.............We receive a extremely good pick in a very deep draft, now the importance of this is that Vancouver receives $4,637,500  Gets a 6'4" 212 C/RW who is playing well, plus a conditional 7th OA pick in the 2023 draft. The added benefit is the age of the 2 contracts in Dach and Miller, and that Cap relief.

Winnipeg is in the unenviable position of having a difficult time signing players long term. This trade keeps them competitive short term and helps them build long term. Mtl gets their Dubois, and Lekkimakki, which pretty much makes it a even trade for them.

Vancouver walks into the draft with .....................6 OA*, 7 OA  and 13 OA picks (Note* With the trade of Miller, you drop in position, so the 6th, stands more of a chance of being a 2 or 3rd OA, but who is counting?)

If the Mtl pick is 1st or 2nd over all, then the other conditions apply....aka...either Florida's 1st or Mtl's 2024 unconditional 1st.Vancouver's choice.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

Winnipeg wouldn't move Dubois for less then 3 1st round picks, Minimum.

Jets are one of the best teams in the west right now. 

I could see them moving Dubois this summer if he refuses to negotiate a long term, but see first line of my post for what they will be expecting in return.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Why is Montreal selling the farm for a guy they can just wait 1 year for and sign for free? 

Montreal has no clue whether Dubois just wants out of Winnipeg or wants into Montreal. with this trade, there is no guess work. Montreal does this 10 out of 10 times.

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So we're giving up Miller and Lekkerimaki while bringing in Dach, cap space, and what? Conditional 2023 1st? Florida's this season or Montreal's next season? What would the condition be? Simply being able to choose leading up to the draft? 

Fair question.......I edit it to explain the conditions better

I disagree.  It’s no secret Dubois wants to play for Montreal.  Seems like lunacy to give up a 22 year old 2C that they just traded for 7 months ago (who has looked fantastic this year) and a very high 1st for a guy they can get for free if they show some  patience. 

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Winnipeg wouldn't move Dubois for less then 3 1st round picks, Minimum.

Jets are one of the best teams in the west right now. 

I could see them moving Dubois this summer if he refuses to negotiate a long term, but see first line of my post for what they will be expecting in return.

Winnipeg needs a long term solution (aka while they are competitive) Miller gives them that for at least 4 years (IMO)

Just now, qwijibo said:

I disagree.  It’s no secret Dubois wants to play for Montreal.  Seems like lunacy to give up a 22 year old 2C that they just traded for 7 months ago (who has looked fantastic this year) and a very high 1st for a guy they can get for free if they show some  patience. 

Exactly where did you hear that, other than the media, like me?

37 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Fair question.......I edit it to explain the conditions better

Dach, cap space, another 1st this season or next, I'd do it. Montreal will probably be bad next season too, I'd love to have their 2024 pick.

It' be a 1st and cap space for Miller, Dach for Lekkerimaki. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, Winnipeg has a problem in that Dubois wants out and can force a trade, by signing a 1 year deal with Winnipeg. He just simply wants out and Mtl wants him, but does not really have what Winnipeg needs, because to do so would totally weaken their rebuild, albeit they would get Dubois, but Winnipeg is not going to want futures, as they are in a win  now mode, while their core is still competitive. Vancouver is in a slightly different position and is not competing now. So this is what I propose, and IMO, involves a over-payment by us.

To Mtl............................Dubois and Lekkimakki

To Winnipeg..................JT Miller and 2026 conditional 1st (Top 10 protected )

To Vancouver.................Dach and a conditional 2023 6th OA, with the Canucks having the choice of Florida's 2023-1st or MTL's 2024 unconditional 1st

This is a Huge over payment by Vancouver, and once you stop puking, hear me out.............We receive a extremely good pick in a very deep draft, now the importance of this is that Vancouver receives $4,637,500  Gets a 6'4" 212 C/RW who is playing well, plus a conditional 7th OA pick in the 2023 draft. The added benefit is the age of the 2 contracts in Dach and Miller, and that Cap relief.

Winnipeg is in the unenviable position of having a difficult time signing players long term. This trade keeps them competitive short term and helps them build long term. Mtl gets their Dubois, and Lekkimakki, which pretty much makes it a even trade for them.

Vancouver walks into the draft with .....................6 OA*, 7 OA  and 13 OA picks (Note* With the trade of Miller, you drop in position, so the 6th, stands more of a chance of being a 2 or 3rd OA, but who is counting?)

If the Mtl pick is 1st or 2nd over all, then the other conditions apply....aka...either Florida's 1st or Mtl's 2024 unconditional 1st.Vancouver's choice.

Jets will try and sign Dubois  24 - 6'3  #1 C ---- to a contract this summer 8 yrs X 9.2 million..

If they can't sign they will work a deal out with Montreal.. Starting with Dach 21 -6'4 - Guhle 20  6'2 D -- 1st rounder

Jets won't want Miller big no...

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Jets will try and sign Dubois  24 - 6'3  #1 C ---- to a contract this summer 8 yrs X 9.2 million..

If they can't sign they will work a deal out with Montreal.. Starting with Dach 21 -6'4 - Guhle 20  6'2 D -- 1st rounder

Jets will need a replacement for Dubois if gets to the point where they won't be able to retain him though. Look at the age of their top players, they're all prime aged with the exception of Wheeler, if they're going to win with this group it'll likely be sooner than later. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I see it differently.......

If the jets let it get to the summer, and it blows up in their face. They loose position and Montreal knows for sure Dubois wants Montreal. That weakens Winnipeg's position and return, because it will signal to the other 30 clubs that Dubois intends to go to Montreal. What team would trade for him? It would be exactly like the Kessler deal, where he forces our hand, and basically minimized our return.

Please let me know if you feel otherwise. Because I think Montreal will not want to give up Guhle, or anyone else of value, once everything is confirmed. What else does Montreal want to give up? Certainly not their captain...........and nothing else compares with Miller and a Lekkerimakki to Winnipeg.........except futures, which does not help Winnipeg now, in their win now mode.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Why is Montreal selling the farm for a guy they can just wait 1 year for and sign for free? 

Yeah honestly he only wants to play in Montreal so even if Montreal traded for him to get him early I feel they would totally lowball Winnipeg