The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | February/March (26-04) 2023

Rate this topic

There is a great post in today's Canucks Army about the life of former Canuck, Donald Brashear. I was not aware of the brutal upbringing that he endured. Amazing individual to be able to survive that and play hockey in the NHL. He has had his ups and downs now that he is out of hockey but seems to be doing OK these days.

It is well worth the read.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

What the hell is happening on the trade market.  Big deal after big deal...  

I'm surprised that no one in the West has made any big moves yet.  It's wide open in the West.  

Dallas, Edmonton, and Winnipeg should be prime candidates to make a big splash and take the bull by the horns.  Winnipeg could really use some scoring, and LA Kings need help defending. 

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just watching the Buffalo v Caps game. The Sabres had the Canadian anthem. 

Is there another US based team that signs the Canadian anthem when there isn’t a Canadian team playing?

Sabres have a ton of fans in Niagara Falls and St Catharines who make the trip across the river to watch them play.

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There is a great post in today's Canucks Army about the life of former Canuck, Donald Brashear. I was not aware of the brutal upbringing that he endured. Amazing individual to be able to survive that and play hockey in the NHL. He has had his ups and downs now that he is out of hockey but seems to be doing OK these days.

It is well worth the read.

Some of that stuff I was already aware of, but not all of it.

The piano thing has always blown me away. I remember when he was still playing for the Canucks, one of the beat reporters remarked about Brash sitting down at the grand piano in the lobby of the hotel as they were checking in and playing it quite well. It just seemed so odd for a guy who chucks knuckles for a lving...

But that's only part of it. As a mediocre guitar player who has taught himself to play keys passably well, I can't imagine doing it under the same circumstances DB did. Amazing story.

BTW: Good on Georges Laracque for his support of Brash when he was down. Once again, GL shows that you can be an enforcer and still be loaded with class.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bottom feeders are loading up for a tank run.  

We subtracted JT, Montreal shut down Xekaj, Sharks lost Meier, the ball's in Arizona's court.