The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Ivan Barbashev to Golden Knights for Zach Dean

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd be prepared for #8-10 draft spot, possibly even out of the top 10.

Agreed, could slip to 11. Even further if the unthinkable happens and two lower teams win. lol ... just our luck. Either way I think the top 15 is going to all over the place. Hopefully these guys are up late doing their homework.

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, we'll see. They seem to have this TB style of somehow always adding when it looks impossible. They also have a good enough core that there farm system guys step in and do the job. That coupled with a stellar defence and star talent is keeping them sustainable. I get what you're saying though ... how long they can keep it goin is anyone's guess.

Ya. To me, they reflect America and it's culture. All flash, me me now now and greed. All fun and games for awhile till the bills come due. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Agreed, could slip to 11. Even further if the unthinkable happens and two lower teams win. lol ... just our luck. Either way I think the top 15 is going to all over the place. Hopefully these guys are up late doing their homework.

Easier schedule, demko back, improved defensive play..........it's very possible, almost likely that they fall out of the top 10.  If so, I wonder if we'll see two dmen taken with their two picks.

I'd like a fwd, but imagine ASP and Reinbacher?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Easier schedule, demko back, improved defensive play..........it's very possible, almost likely that they fall out of the top 10.  If so, I wonder if we'll see two dmen taken with their two picks.

I'd like a fwd, but imagine ASP and Reinbacher?

That's kind of a cool idea. Whoa, talk about kickstarting the defence rebuild. Two different types of defenders too. I think the way we're set up we could really use a slick playmaker on the RD to keep up with Petey, Kuz, and the rest of the offence. I'm with you on the forward too. Either way it will be really exciting. Hopefully the Isles keep eking out some wins as the games played will probably start catching up with them.

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Save for Bratt, their RFAs are bottom of the lineup players with Sharangovich in between.   They'll have holes to fill given their UFAs vets but they are also bringing in prospects like Luke Hughes.  Mercer is their next big ticket but he's due only next year.   Don't see the same issue as you.  

I'd be pretty happy if Sharangovich shakes loose because they have cap issues after acquiring Meier ::D

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does Vegas still have $7+ million in space space even with LTIR? Stone and Lehner and Nolan? Or did they get partial relief for Weber? I thought you couldn't bank injury relief?

Stone just went on LTIR - he was initially on IR.  He's a 9.5M cap hit.  As he's out for the rest of the season following back surgery, they can use up his cap space to replace him on the roster.  No different than Vancouver moving Pearson from IR to LTIR - opened up an additional 3.25M in cap space.

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's kind of a cool idea. Whoa, talk about kickstarting the defence rebuild. Two different types of defenders too. I think the way we're set up we could really use a slick playmaker on the RD to keep up with Petey, Kuz, and the rest of the offence. I'm with you on the forward too. Either way it will be really exciting. Hopefully the Isles keep eking out some wins as the games played will probably start catching up with them.

The down side of that is that both guys are likely 3-5 years away

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They can negotiate a different long-term contract and not the $10 mil 1 year deal though .. can't they?

They absolutely can.  But what will they give up to do it?

39 minutes ago, mll said:

Save for Bratt, their RFAs are bottom of the lineup players with Sharangovich in between.   They'll have holes to fill given their UFAs vets but they are also bringing in prospects like Luke Hughes.  Mercer is their next big ticket but he's due only next year.   Don't see the same issue as you.  

There in lies the issue.  Those RFAs need new contracts/extensions and almost to a player will get a raise.  The big issue comes to the free agency aspect.  They need exactly what everyone else does.  The cap implications for NJ are a concern over the next 2 seasons 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

They absolutely can.  But what will they give up to do it?

There in lies the issue.  Those RFAs need new contracts/extensions and almost to a player will get a raise.  The big issue comes to the free agency aspect.  They need exactly what everyone else does.  The cap implications for NJ are a concern over the next 2 seasons 

They'll do what everyone else does and bleed lesser guys from lower in the lineup. They may have to let a guy like Sharangovich walk or get what pittance they can for his rights. They may have to choose between Bratt and Meier etc.

Here's hoping the Canucks can swoop in and take advantage of further buy low moves like we just did with Kravstov.

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Blues need to piss off and start winning again, they're breathing down our necks. 

Just...don't...

The lottery simulator for me the past week or so has Arizona St Louis Philly and Montreal jumping in to the top two spots regularly for me.

Pure Canuck luck to drop two spots again

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Except those teams are looking to win now, we are not.

Kind of a key difference.

They'll be rebuilding when the back half of Miller's contract is an inefficient anchor. We'll be trying to compete. Bad math.

We need players like Miller (I reiterate again, he's a great player NOW), just not Miller himself. We need to find "next Miller". The guy on a value ~$5m  deal and outperforming it, not saddle ourselves to the $$$ retirement contract, years before we're competitive, the back half of which will be increasingly inefficient.

I have zero issues bringing back Schenn (on a 1-3 year <$2m contract) this summer FWIW. It's not (just) about age. It's about cap, risk, term, windows and making that all actually line up. If we find "next Miller" in ~2-3 years, it potentially makes sense to lock that guy up to a retirement deal as we'll be looking to "win now". We're simply not there RIGHT now

So let me ask you this. Does an up and coming team not need veteran presence too? Would Petey and Hughes not benefit from veteran presence NOW? What kind of progression can we see if we omit these type of players for a few years.

I believe we need good character players through out the line up and in the forwards and the defenseman.

I would be all for having younger leadership if we had them available. I don't think that's Boeser, Myers or Tanner Pearson, they are not the answer so I don't think its as easy as getting rid of Schenn and Miller and have nobody to replace them.

I think some on here underestimate the importance of character players on a team and how they can help a team as a whole. 

If there is another option, I would welcome them, but I have not seen that yet and it would need to come available between now and July 1st if it is going to work out.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just...don't...

The lottery simulator for me the past week or so has Arizona St Louis Philly and Montreal jumping in to the top two spots regularly for me.

I'm expecting to draft somewhere between 4-8 but I'm hopeful 

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just...don't...

First try after reading your post:

41CA2243-FD52-447F-BBD2-129C7E92A4E3.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

8-12 in my opinion

Lot of that rides on what we do with our goaltending 

If Demko comes back and takes a while to find his game that'd be helpful, if we trade Demko that could be helpful, if they send Silovs back down that'd be helpful 

• Tanks a lot 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

8-12 in my opinion

12th?

We’re 13 points behind the 12th place Caps right now. We’d need to win 7 more games than them in our final 23 to pass them…

I know you’re trying to be a realist but 12th is in no way realistic.

If we got hot and played well over .500 we might pass 10th place Ottawa but even they’re playing at over .500.