The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Ivan Barbashev to Golden Knights for Zach Dean

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

But it's fun to push this idea on canes fans. They get soo mad calling him a pylon ect... So I throw out the fact he would be their leading scorer by 2 points yet he's only our 5th best player. Yeaaaah they don't like that :lol:

They must be so jealous of us!!!

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

12th?

We’re 13 points behind the 12th place Caps right now. We’d need to win 7 more games than them in our final 23 to pass them…

I know you’re trying to be a realist but 12th is in no way realistic.

If we got hot and played well over .500 we might pass 10th place Ottawa but even they’re playing at over .500.

Including being bumped at least one spot.  Obviously that's a worst case scenario, but certainly could happen

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Can’t wait for the fall of the Knights. It’s going to be a beautiful day 

Eichel is the most over-hyped, overpaid player in the league right now. He and Hubby Dubby Doo are a couple of big time bonsai bustaroos 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Keep Miller. 

No way. You move Miller now. Yes the next 4 years MIGHT be good for the team, but the last 3 years will be a nightmare.

Move him now or we will be stuck with another OEL type contract, with the addition of a piss poor attitude later down the line.

7 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Eichel is the most over-hyped, overpaid player in the league right now. He and Hubby Dubby Doo are a couple of big time bonsai bustaroos 

Remember when people were talking about trading Petey for Eichel

Cracking Up Lol GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

So let me ask you this. Does an up and coming team not need veteran presence too? 

I don't know how you would get that from what I wrote. The post you quoted, I clearly stated I hope Schenn is back this summer.

I have ZERO problem with quality vets. I have a major problem with vets signed to long term, big dollar, eventual inefficient contracts that will coincide with their play dropping off due to age related decline, right when we hope to be competitive.

Bring in all the short term and/or low dollar, gritty, leader, vets you want (Schenn being an excellent example) Happy to have them.

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

No way. You move Miller now. Yes the next 4 years MIGHT be good for the team, but the last 3 years will be a nightmare.

Move him now or we will be stuck with another OEL type contract, with the addition of a piss poor attitude later down the line.

I can't agree. JT is the type of player we need moving forward with the franchise and a culture change. The contract doesnt bother me and five years from now OEL will be gone, the cap a lot higher. I get it though, there isn't much middle with JT, as a fan you love him or hate him and his contract. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I can't agree. JT is the type of player we need moving forward with the franchise and a culture change.

Key word being type.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I get it though, there isn't much middle with JT, as a fan you love him or hate him and his contract. 

Not true. I love the current player, and his extension is below market value. Just simply not a fit with our timeline. It's an entirely situational problem.

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Key word being type.

Not true. I love the current player, and his extension is below market value. Just simply not a fit with our timeline. It's an entirely situational problem.

But maybe the timeline is sped up in our management’s thoughts?

Maybe we buyout OEL this summer, and trade Myers (after his bonus is paid) and use the Islander’s first to trade for a younger top four D? 

I can see us turning this around some this summer and then a lot more by summer 2024. It’s kind of the same thing Benning tried, but smarter. Gillis did it successfully. Just these sped up retools, even if they work like Gillis, aren’t long lived. Too much future sacrificed. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Key word being type.

Fair enough, I really can't debate the timeline factor. But trading JT would depend on the return, if it net a player that could replace his game. We really have no player in the system that can provide what JT does. Maybe keep him untill that player arises?

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair enough, I really can't debate the timeline factor. But trading JT would depend on the return, if it net a player that could replace his game. We really have no player in the system that can provide what JT does. Maybe keep him untill that player arises?

But if we wait past this June, we're locked in to his trade clause. No bueno. 

It isn't so much about replacing him as it is actually BUILDING something long term, and sustainable.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need to take that step and have faith you can rectify his loss in the long run. I'm not suggesting it's without it's own risks and pitfalls but assuming you can get solid trade value back, and clear long term cap allocation, it's the smarter long term play IMO.

And that's not too say that we can't make it work with him here, we possibly can. It just makes building harder and less efficient, with a sizable "mushy middle" and less sustainable risk IMO.  

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does Vegas still have $7+ million in space space even with LTIR? Stone and Lehner and Nolan? Or did they get partial relief for Weber? I thought you couldn't bank injury relief?

Mark Stone was on IR.  He went on LTIR only last week which gave them access to his 9.5M cap hit.  Vancouver did the same not all that long ago where they moved Pearson from IR to LTIR to increase the cap space available.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The down side of that is that both guys are likely 3-5 years away

It's possible they are ready sooner. Both playing against men, Reinbacher more so. Either way they're needed in the system one way or another whether it takes a little while longer or not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I don't know how you would get that from what I wrote. The post you quoted, I clearly stated I hope Schenn is back this summer.

I have ZERO problem with quality vets. I have a major problem with vets signed to long term, big dollar, eventual inefficient contracts that will coincide with their play dropping off due to age related decline, right when we hope to be competitive.

Bring in all the short term and/or low dollar, gritty, leader, vets you want (Schenn being an excellent example) Happy to have them.

There is absolutely no way a veteran presence is worth $56 mil. Surely it can be done cheaper.

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But if we wait past this June, we're locked in to his trade clause. No bueno. 

It isn't so much about replacing him as it is actually BUILDING something long term, and sustainable.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need to take that step and have faith you can rectify his loss in the long run. I'm not suggesting it's without it's own risks and pitfalls but assuming you can get solid trade value back, and clear long term cap allocation, it's the smarter long term play IMO.

And that's not too say that we can't make it work with him here, we possibly can. It just makes building harder and less efficient, with a sizable "mushy middle" and less sustainable risk IMO.  

Not sure why, I just don't seem as panicked by the NTC as others. I'm guessing if things go south, something can be arranged. I'm fine with the risk moving forward and with having JT as the veteran moving ahead with the young core. Not sure JT is done maturing yet either. One of those things where we will have to see play out.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not sure why, I just don't seem as panicked by the NTC as others. I'm guessing if things go south, something can be arranged. I'm fine with the risk moving forward and with having JT as the veteran moving ahead with the young core. Not sure JT is done maturing yet either. One of those things where we will have to see play out.

Problem is, things likely don't go "South". They probably just go "mushy middle" enough so that it's neither easy to keep, or move him, or fix the roster, or take the next step etc...