The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Back on the JR Bandwagon Yet?

Rate this topic

JamesB

JR Performance  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No. This move has ownership all over it. What is the definition of insanity ? Oh ya keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Why in the world did they trade their picks in a year where there are so many goood players available? Blinders on. This feeling of desperately needing to make the playoffs. Short fixes. No patience. Our system was set up to get more prospects and yet again we are leaving the cupboard bare. One step forward, two steps back. It's stupidity and it just turns me off from wanting to watch an inept organization. Not one person steps up and says it's a dumb idea. I just can't. The ownership is just plain stupid.

Pointing Up Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

9 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I’d be 100% fine with a full scorched earth rebuild, but it should have been done when linden wanted to do it, right now we’d be talking about playoffs and cup aspirations if they’d done it then. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, which is exactly what’s happening right now. We are at the bottom for a reason, we’ve traded 3 first rounders in the last 4 years and the only decent player we got was miller 

We are at bottom because the D and goalie was bad.

So adding a top 4 RHD that handles the second pk and take pressure if Hughes.

Silovs and Demko in goal.

Just that means we are in playoff.

The only piece missing is stay at home D-players and we got slme cooking.

Have you missed how much is different now from two seasons back? 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

19 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

HE IS NOT GOOD DEFENSIVELY! This is where the team struggles, they can’t defend, so it’s a good idea to bring in a defender that’s as bad as Myers, OEL??? This was a dumb trade that could’ve waited until the summer, think why was he available if he was so great???

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

HE IS NOT GOOD DEFENSIVELY! This is where the team struggles, they can’t defend, so it’s a good idea to bring in a defender that’s as bad as Myers, OEL??? This was a dumb trade that could’ve waited until the summer, think why was he available if he was so great???

?

He is a PP player and capable of taking the puck inte offensive zone.

They are expensive.

The defensive stay at home players you’re after are cheap.

Schenn was worth a 3rd… 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Just got us a legit 1 RD that just turned 25 years old. Granted the trade now turns out to be Horvat and a 2nd for Beau, Raty, and Hronek (has some term and is an RFA)

That's not bad.

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I had one foot back on. Think I need to saw that foot off. 

Not sure what to think. After 8 years of failed "win-now" moves I was hoping for a genuine rebuild under the JR regime.

Now it is pretty obvious that JR and Allvin are also going for a win-now (or at least win-soon) strategy. .

But there are two big differences between Benning and JR..

1. One difference is timing.When Benning came on board almost the entire core was past their prime and into age-related decline -- exactly the wrong time to trade away futures to bring in expensive veteran UFAs. The timing is different know. The Canucks have the three most important components for a Cup contender -- an elite D-man (Hughes), a very good goalie (Demko, assuming he returns to his form from last year), and a couple of elite forwards (Petey and maybe Kuz). And they are all young. Furthermore, the entire forward group is good. So this is a reasonable time to devote resources to a young high-quality D.

2. The other difference is competence. Even if we assume Benning has a reasonable strategy, his implementation was incompetent. He consistently lost value in poor trades (Bonino and picks for Sutter, etc.) and,more significantly, in bad UFA signings. I think the JR/Allvin is just much more competent (and much smarter). Overall, the trades they have made are value-increasing trades and their UFO signings have been reasonable. They have done a good job of rebuilding their prospect pool. In the 18 months it has improved from pathetic to so-so.

I always felt that Benning was going to be unsuccessful (and I think he turned out to be the worst GM in the league over his 7.5 year tenure). But I think JR and Allvin have a good chance of building a pretty good team for next year and the year after. As I have indicated in several posts, I predict that they will make the playoffs next year.

This year the goaltending and the D both let the team down. I am prepared to assume that the goaltending will be a lot better next year with Demko back to health and good performance. And Silovs is looking very good. He might start in Abby next year but he will potentially be available for the big team. On D, getting Hronek is a big step forward. I assume they will re-sign Bear and and they a lot of irons in the fire that might upgrade the D, and they could make another mover now or over the summer.

The Canucks could be good next year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

?

They are expensive.

Schenn was worth a 3rd… 

We have Hughes for PP, you said in a previous post that the reason they aren’t in the playoffs is because they can’t defend and goalies suck (usually cause the d is so bad) so they go out and get an offensive defenseman to defend? And if guys like Schenn are are so cheap and easy to get why didn’t they sign more of them last offseason and have them this year? Wrong player to trade for at the wrong time 

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

30 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

We have Hughes for PP, you said in a previous post that the reason they aren’t in the playoffs is because they can’t defend and goalies suck (usually cause the d is so bad) so they go out and get an offensive defenseman to defend? And if guys like Schenn are are so cheap and easy to get why didn’t they sign more of them last offseason and have them this year? Wrong player to trade for at the wrong time 

Oh, so all teams only have one offensive D and the rest is stay at home D… Interesting. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Viper007 said:

I thought you would be happy with this trade.  It improves our D after you keep complaining about not getting a D-man.

Yes but this is a move you make when you have a system full of prospects or are close. We have the 6th worst record. We also have a system that is without prospects who can step in when injuries happen. We don't have that here. People can be so shortsighted. Isn't building our minor league the number one priority right now so when they are actually ready to contend we can have assets to trade or have assets that can come up and fill in for injuries. I finally thought that yes management was going to take the right steps but no they go for a quick fix by sending off more picks. That's what I am upset about. Make this trade but don't use quality picks. We have traded way too many picks for a team that is 6th worst in the standings. This trade only makes them a tiny bit better. They aren't close for a move like this.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

?

They are expensive.

Schenn was worth a 3rd… 

Canucks haven't had a good defensive defenseman since they got rid of Tanev. 

Guys that can't score are called defensive stay at home players, but it doesn't mean they're actually good at defense.  

Schenn was worth a 3rd because he's not very good.  He's just very popular with fans and teammates because he hits and is a good leader.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I guess you are happy having a team in a perpetual fight for the final playoff spot as opposed to trying to build a team that can compete for a Stanley Cup.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

Here to say I was never on the JR bandwagon and so far I feel vindicated.

After the Bo trade for futures I thought JR had the courage to tell our owner what direction was best. But clearly he’s just another Benning-like Aquilini hand puppet. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Yzerman over here playing 3D chess while PA and JR are eating crayons.

Different directions from their ownership. Will our owner allow any direction other than selling futures to speed up the rebuilding process? I had a feeling that islanders’ first a was going to be used to get a 25 year old, top four D. Yzerman can make long term moves because his owner allows it. Our owner won’t.