The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Back on the JR Bandwagon Yet?

Rate this topic

JamesB

JR Performance  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Need an option about how our owner is meddling in the direction of the club. 

Yep, can't wait till we have an owner that will let us build a team properly.

But still, I'm disappointed in how much we paid for Hronek. Even if ownership forces management's hand into buying, it'd be great if we didn't overpay.

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1

42 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Yep, can't wait till we have an owner that will let us build a team properly.

But still, I'm disappointed in how much we paid for Hronek. Even if ownership forces management's hand into buying, it'd be great if we didn't overpay.

Yup. It's a Benning-esque overpay. Even added that must add sugar - the second round pick. 

And here some of us (me) thought JR had the strength of character to keep our owner's snout out of hockey ops. 

• Wat 1

I give JR a good mark. If PA moves Miller or Boeser today I’ll move that rating higher. CDC fans like to deal semantics as whether this is a re-tool or re-build. However you want to slice and dice this is not the same team as when they took it over. JR is pretty much doing what he said he would. New coaches with structure, roster changes, younger team. For all the new players the new coaches might be the biggest add. More direction will help the entire team. Sending Hogs, Podz and Aman down to Abby is something the Canucks haven’t seen in many years. The improvement in Abby is a huge + for the entire org. Imperative that Abby makes playoffs and has a solid run of playoff games. Come fall there will be another influx of young players to join the Abby program. 

I am pretty excited for the team direction. Will be more so with another couple of trades by Friday.

3 hours ago, GB5 said:

I guess you are happy having a team in a perpetual fight for the final playoff spot as opposed to trying to build a team that can compete for a Stanley Cup.

I think it’s fair trying to open the window when we got 2 players on the team that is in their way of smashing almost all points records .

How long should they wait? 
35 years before they win the lottery or at least try now when they got so many pieces in place?

And the Isles pick… How does anybody think that Sandin pelikka can be as good as Hronek?

If there had been a Dahlin or Theodore available in the draft but ai only hear of quality Cs.

So wich RHD is available at 13-17 and are so good that PA should have kept the pick?

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yzerman over here playing 3D chess while PA and JR are eating crayons.

Well, you’re quite marinated as a fan so you might tell me who of the available RHD at the draft that can come in instantly and take some heat of Hughes shoulders?

0,5 ppg player the first season and the just keep on getting more points.

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I give JR a good mark. If PA moves Miller or Boeser today I’ll move that rating higher. CDC fans like to deal semantics as whether this is a re-tool or re-build. However you want to slice and dice this is not the same team as when they took it over. JR is pretty much doing what he said he would. New coaches with structure, roster changes, younger team. For all the new players the new coaches might be the biggest add. More direction will help the entire team. Sending Hogs, Podz and Aman down to Abby is something the Canucks haven’t seen in many years. The improvement in Abby is a huge + for the entire org. Imperative that Abby makes playoffs and has a solid run of playoff games. Come fall there will be another influx of young players to join the Abby program. 

I am pretty excited for the team direction. Will be more so with another couple of trades by Friday.

And more speed, Mikhejev, Besuvillier that eere said to be a cap dump etc…

3 hours ago, spur1 said:

Never left. Alvin winning the trade deadline so far. 

Yes Spur, where there's a will, there's usually a way.

You couldnt have got any odds on Gretsky getting prized outta Edmonton .... but

On August 9, 1988, the Oilers traded Gretzky to the LA Kings!   The trade was

Gretzky, McSorely (D) and Krushelnyski (C/LW), for Carson (C), Gelinas (LW),

the Kings first-round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993.

Along with $15 million in cash.

Frankie's easily got today's equivalent hard cash stashed somewhere to pull off

this kind of Bedard deal.

But has he got the will?

25 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Yes Spur, where there's a will, there's usually a way.

You couldnt have got any odds on Gretsky getting prized outta Edmonton .... but

On August 9, 1988, the Oilers traded Gretzky to the LA Kings!   The trade was

Gretzky, McSorely (D) and Krushelnyski (C/LW), for Carson (C), Gelinas (LW),

the Kings first-round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993.

Along with $15 million in cash.

Frankie's easily got today's equivalent hard cash stashed somewhere to pull off

this kind of Bedard deal.

But has he got the will?

Maybe Bedard is not the target. 

On 3/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes but this is a move you make when you have a system full of prospects or are close. We have the 6th worst record. We also have a system that is without prospects who can step in when injuries happen. We don't have that here. People can be so shortsighted. Isn't building our minor league the number one priority right now so when they are actually ready to contend we can have assets to trade or have assets that can come up and fill in for injuries. I finally thought that yes management was going to take the right steps but no they go for a quick fix by sending off more picks. That's what I am upset about. Make this trade but don't use quality picks. We have traded way too many picks for a team that is 6th worst in the standings. This trade only makes them a tiny bit better. They aren't close for a move like this.

I agree we shouldn't be making the move now, but to say because you don't trade quality picks is wrong.  You're not going to get this sort of d man without giving up quality picks.  Our wingers aren't going to be traded for a top 4 dman, so the picks are pretty much your only assets, unless you have top prospects you're willing to give up which this team definitely shouldn't be doing either.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, the Allvin bandwagon has been much better, more precise, less erratic, less sh** disturbing, and more appealing. 

For now ...

I have been impressed with what Allvin has been able to accomplish since Xmas. All his moves and actions have improved the team and the organization.

JR on the other hand is just a senile old man that the team should distance themselves from. I agree the BB was not the coach that this team needed to move the needle, but the way the front office went about that or the countless other terrible handled situations  they created is embarrassing. We really need a figurehead that commands respect and integrity….JR is not that guy. Hire him as a consultant if you want his opinion, not the face of the organization.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I have been impressed with what Allvin has been able to accomplish since Xmas. All his moves and actions have improved the team and the organization.

JR on the other hand is just a senile old man that the team should distance themselves from. I agree the BB was not the coach that this team needed to move the needle, but the way the front office went about that or the countless other terrible handled situations  they created is embarrassing. We really need a figurehead that commands respect and integrity….JR is not that guy. Hire him as a consultant if you want his opinion, not the face of the organization.

Agree. Great post! I really view JR as the guy who wasn't afraid to come in and sh** disturb to make change. It was always going to be temporary. That's what it looks like now.