The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's sadly and horrifyingly becoming increasingly clear that the Oilers are the western favourites, probably even cup favourites

Rate this topic

Oilers are a team that'll score 5 goals (McDavid with 2G, 3A) but you'd still have to check the other team's score to determine if they won or not.  This week they beat Pittbsurgh 7-2, and then lost 6-5 to Colorado and.... Columbus??

I think Edmonton will face the Kings in round one again.  Is it even clear they'll beat LA?  Who's starting in their net, OP?  

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

I for one want McDavid to win one cup by the end of his career. He is the greatest player of all time. Whether it's with the Oilers or not, he needs atleast one.

He won't win one unless a coach finally gets through to him that he needs to start playing like a man and backchecking instead of disgracing the sport with his diving and tantrums.  His own character issues are a huge reason why that gutless flopper has no business being in the conversation for the greatest of all time.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think Edmonton will face the Kings in round one again.  Is it even clear they'll beat LA?  Who's starting in their net, OP?  

Edmonton las lost to LA twice this season by scores of 3-1 (Nov 16) and 6-3 (Jan 9). They play home and home Mar 30 and Apr 5 and both teams will want the four points. 

35 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Edmonton las lost to LA twice this season by scores of 3-1 (Nov 16) and 6-3 (Jan 9). They play home and home Mar 30 and Apr 5 and both teams will want the four points. 

Neither team has played consistently this year.  Kings just barely have a positive goal differential now, and I think the Oilers' problems are obvious.  I suspect those last two H2H games will determine the seedings and who gets home advantage in the first round.  The seedings in the Western conference are wide open.  They could go on a late run and end up being 1st in the division or go on a slump and fall to the last wild card.  Calgary is the only team outside the top 8 that needs to decide what to do after the deadline.  It's nothing like the East, which has set teams at the top and a whole bunch of rats scavenging for the wildcard spots.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

The Colorado of 2023 is not even close to the Colorado of 2022.  The Oilers outplay the AVs, Kings, Stars and Knights most nights in head-to-head match-ups.  They are near the top, as is, in the West.  There is not a team, this year, that can stand toe-to-toe in the west in a best-of-7 with the Oilers.  Sadly, also the East is going to be such a meat-grinder this year that any team that emerges from the East will be so ground up that they will be annihilated by any team that comes out of the west.  Think of how we were against the Bruins after our brutal western journey in 2011.  Just decimated.  Also, historically, the Bruins have a tough time against the Oilers whereas we struggle mightily.  2023 seems like 2011 in reverse.  The President Trophy winning Bruins will come into the final injured as heck and the Oilers, heavy underdogs, will grind out a 7-game Stanley Cup victory against them.  For those of us rooting against the Oilers, we want to see a team come out of the east that has a winning record, not just this season but historically, against the Oilers and that sure ain't the Bruins.  Kind of fearful of a NYI-Edm SCF, Bo would fight like heck to overcome McDavid and Draisatl, but the Isles would probably fall just short in the end.  

The Oilers seeming to have a clear path to the SCF is bad enough but likely facing a team they historically do well against, the Bruins, is even more of a nightmare. 

P.S.:  Forgot to add that the Oilers might pull off a blockbuster TDL deal that will make them even scarier and our lives even more miserable. I will also discount any posts that try to argue how much of a behemoth the Bruins are.  Show me your playoff chops first, bears!!

Leafs are winning the Cup this year. Their centres all play defence. Added ROR too. McWhiner Baby doesn’t play defence. No Cup for that guy. 

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, UFCanuck said:

I don’t like the teams but it would be fun to see Marner/Mathews vs Mcdavid/Draisatl in the finals. Just forget the rivalries and enjoy that.

All Canadian match up?

Bettman's nightmare realized.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the Oilers' chances with that defense and goaltending....

Combine that with the fact that zebras tend to put their whistles away far more often in the playoffs.....I think Deadmonton is down the list of Cup favorites.

I'm going out on a limb and tiny bit and predicting the Stars come out of the West....the only teams in the league with a better GA total are the B's and the 'Canes.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I would put Edmonton as the second favourite team to come out of the West.  I'd still put money on Colorado over Edmonton, especially now that they're getting healthy. 

And vegas will still have a move or two coming up I am sure.

MacDavid is not the GOAT. However, he could be when all is said and done. Too soon to make that determination though.

I personally think Gretzky, Howe, Orr and even Ovechkin are better.

I’m going to go against the grain and say Winnipeg makes it to the finals. They’re my dark horse team.